Anyone interested in an electrically heated windscreen?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Anyone interested in an electrically heated windscreen?

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 07, 2012 5:57 pm

I think that these screens are currently a figment of my imagination at the moment Mykel, so don't know - but I imagine that they'll be identical to the technology found on Fords...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 08, 2012 11:39 am

Update time - I have now spoken to Ricky Evans - a very nice chap, who has clearly had dealings with clubs and forum group buys before and is happy to help. :D

Certification of the screens - these screens will be fully labelled up with all the correct E-marks. They are manufactured to original specification, and will be made on the original MG tooling (he has the contacts to be able to do this). In fact, the only way to tell this is a heated screen is to look really closely and spot the heater elements. This is the same technology found on the Ford Focus etc. :)

We will need to specify whether we want the rear view mirror ready fitted, as this is optional (not often fitted in competition cars, as the rear view mirror may be mounted in a different position). But this is not a problem.

Stock. No, Ricky Evans will not carry a stock of these. Motor-sport is their core business area, and will carry stock in larger volume items, but for us, we'll be ordering what we need, and no more.

Ordering/lead time. This was a surprise. 12 weeks once placed - although the order lead time can be longer - especially this time of year where all the competition cars are being readied for the new season.

Delivery is an additional 44 quid, which includes postage and packing + insurance on the glass. This price is to anywhere in the UK, including NI.

Fitting will have to be arranged locally, and the wiring sorted by the owner.

If a windscreen breaks in use, then this is a problem, because a new order for a screen will need to be placed... with the hassle of the 12 week lead time etc (I don't know whether there is a minimum order stipulation). Motor-sport competitors will usually buy a spare - but I don't really see many of us doing this!!!

So, in summary, expect a OEM specification windscreen, with E-marks for about 200 quid, on top of which you need to add 44 quid for delivery, and around 40 quid for fitting. Plus then there is the wiring for the heater itself (as mentioned, I'll probably take off from the HRW circuit, but there are many ways to skin a cat!)

I've not yet heard back from Malcolm, but I think that MG trader involvement will increase the cost (although hopefully not double it!)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:10 am

I am going to be putting in an order for a heated windscreen at the end of the week. The screen is costing £170 + VAT. Ricky Evans can also supply a replacement trim for £22 + VAT. If needs to be delivered, add £44 for postage, packaging and delivery in the UK. This cost does not include a wiring loom - but I think that a DIY solution would be reasonably simple (or get a friendly autoelectrician to help out). Fitting the windscreen will likely cost about £40. So a fitted (sans electrics) you'd be looking at around £315-320. Cheaper than a new 'screen from X-Part :D

Five others are joining me with the purchase, so if anyone here is interested, let me know :)

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:20 am

What's the time scale on this Rob? I'm a little brassic at the mo as I've just forked out for my flights to Romania (may do a recee of the Transfăgărășan highway while I'm there, with the idea of doing a epic road trip next year! :thumbsu: )
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:48 am

Unfortunately I need a 30% deposit, and I would be looking to place the order by the end of this week. The manufacturing lead times are then about 12 weeks +/- 3 weeks depending on how busy they are (which, given that this is the start of the motorsport season, read busy).

The Transfăgărășan highway sounds great - wasn't that TopGear's best driving road? :D Enjoy the trip :)

MaddAussie
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF160

Post by MaddAussie » Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:55 am

Ok thanks! I think I will have to pass on this one :( damn
TF160 - Bilstiens, Mike Satur 4-2-1, Sports Cat, Quad Daytona, Z and F Tuning Phase 2 Remap showing 177Bhp @ Janspeed RR day and a Big Grin :D (oh and a glass rear screen and bits of shiny stuff) 85th suspension bits to fit!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 19, 2012 11:02 am

If there is sufficient interest, a second buy could be arranged for later in the year or for next? Alternatively, I may be sucessful in persuading an MG trader to pick this up as a standard product line, but I'd expect costs to go up a bit...

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Mar 19, 2012 1:12 pm

Rob, as it is the early mornings of autumn and winter when I curse the slow clearing of the screen, I am not up for it just now. I will be more inclined in a few months time and particularly if a trader will run it as a drive-in-and-fitted-while-you-wait upgrade. But thanks for trail blazing and I look forward to your reports!

BamBam
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by BamBam » Sat Nov 30, 2013 8:20 pm

Does anyone know if these screens are available anywhere now or are they still special order.
My screen cracked last week and will need replacing , :roll: hopefully it will last through the winter and can be done in the spring.
thanks Geoff.

crussell
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Sat Nov 30, 2013 10:18 pm

Surely buying a standard replacement screen when you get a chip on your windscreen is no different to having a heated one??

I'd be interested in a heated screen, I intend to use mine year round, would be looking to use some OEM switches though, like the idea of one switch doing both front and rear...independent is always better is suppose?

While adding/modding electrics can be done by most I don't imagine if anyone's like me, that windscreen fitting, being structural etc, is in the hands of a diy er?

A drive in drive out service with some sort of warranty, doesn't have to be long, would be ace!
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

Steve White
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Sun Dec 01, 2013 8:14 am

crussell wrote:Surely buying a standard replacement screen when you get a chip on your windscreen is no different to having a heated one??

I'd be interested in a heated screen, I intend to use mine year round, would be looking to use some OEM switches though, like the idea of one switch doing both front and rear...independent is always better is suppose?

While adding/modding electrics can be done by most I don't imagine if anyone's like me, that windscreen fitting, being structural etc, is in the hands of a diy er?

A drive in drive out service with some sort of warranty, doesn't have to be long, would be ace!
The problem is that you (and windscreen fitting companies) can get a standard screen 'off the shelf' almost anytime, whereas a heated screen has very limited availability, and due to it being an aftermarket part none of the big windscreen companies would be able to supply one.

The manufacturer Rob was looking at would only produce them in batches of 10, so unless you could get a supplier on board who is willing to hold stock (and pay for it), a ready supply of spares would be unavailable.
In theory if you chipped you screen you would have to wait for another 9 F/TF owners who wanted a heated screen to come along, and then wait at least 12 weeks for the screens to be made & delivered.

I love the idea of a heated screen but two things put me off. First is the lack of availability, if I chipped my heated screen, I would want to be able to replace it quickly.
Secondly, the screen fitting companies I have spoken to wont offer and warranty on a screen they have not supplied themselves. Having had a screen fail shortly after it was fitted by one of the big windscreen companies, I would want some sort warranty :(

crussell
Model of Car: MG TF 80th Anni

Post by crussell » Sun Dec 01, 2013 9:19 am

I agree Steve, would be a pain in the bum, get a standard one fitted if it cracks, pay excess on insurance then save up to buy a heated one with the wait time etc...

I guess it's kind of a gamble. On my own personal vehicles I have never had to replace a windscreen and never so much as had them chipped however, on my van for work ( which I do about 30000 miles a year in) I've had to replace a windscreen twice in three years.
Starlight Silver 80th Anniversary TF No. 1229.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:33 pm

I didn't see this thread the first time around or would have put my name forward.

I joined a group buy for the same from Ricky Evens for the ZS, it was duly delivered by a little man in a van and fitted by the local auto glaciers. I very occasionally notice the elements, normally when driving into directly into the sun but even then it doesn't effect visibility. I can't comment on how well it works, I've not wired it up yet.

If another group buy comes up please include me.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Sun Dec 01, 2013 1:48 pm

And I can confirm that the Ricky Evens screen does have the correct E markings.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Dec 02, 2013 11:14 am

Richard's screens are the real deal. I couldn't get enough firm orders at the time, so the group buy did not proceed - but I am willing to do this again (no idea where I'll get the money for two screens, but I'd probably want to do both of my MGFs at the same time).

This time of year might be a bit busy - it's the Motorsport off-season, and people are busy building their projects for next year - and consequently business is brisk!

Let me know if you're interested, and I'll get a group buy up and running again (I'll also need to ask for a revised quote).

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:36 pm

Yes please.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 02, 2013 6:51 pm

I've just posted a link from the t-bar, making it cross forum will get more interest.

talkingcars

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 02, 2013 7:56 pm

talkingcars wrote:I've just posted a link from the t-bar, making it cross forum will get more interest.
cjj posted on the T-bar wrote:Yes. I tried resurrecting this on .org but got no answer.

I am a definite yes with money waiting.

Oh, by the way, yes, just in case you didn't get that. :yesnod:
So that's at least 3 already.

Charless
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:28 pm

I make it 4.

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Mon Dec 02, 2013 9:53 pm

Isn't that six, Admiral? Or are you just upgrading the flagship? 8-)
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org