Aftermarket front fogs - and OEM switch?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
GazMG
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 1.8i

Aftermarket front fogs - and OEM switch?

Post by GazMG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:06 am

Hi all

So my F is back on the road. I've seen on this site and a few others, people putting the smaller aftermarket front fogs in the bumper grill, underneath the numberplate, in line with the far ends of the plate so in the bottom two corners (if you get my drift)....

I've got my eye on these (which seem to be the fogs people are using) http://www.motorwayshop.co.uk/shop/prod ... lamps.aspx

And I've ordered an OEM (MK2 F/TF) front fog switch from my friendly local MG parts guys.

Question being, is it easy to wire up an aftermarket kit onto the OEM switch? And would anyone have the pin-outs or the wiring diagram to hand for the OEM (mk2 F/TF) switch? I've already converted my dash to the later type so I've got the newer switches.

It'd be nice to have them sitting pretty with the OEM switch, because I'm a bit OCD like that!

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Re: Aftermarket front fogs - and OEM switch?

Post by Bandit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:52 am

With tightening MOT requirements, assurances of 'Street Legal' from sellers of aftermarket lighting should be taken with an increasingly large pinch of salt. Their location on the car is also going to be more regulated, so if they're to be mounted in a position that is significantly different from the position of the OE fog lamps, you may be straying outside what is allowed. Are you discounting the OE option on cost or styling criteria..? Aside from anything else, Dieter's site has all the wiring info for the OE option, so that's likely to be less challenging to fit ;)

GazMG

Post by GazMG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:56 am

OE option currently being discounted on cost, unless I can find a set.

If I wire them and fit them properly it should be fine. Note that the location I'm going to fit them in IS legal....and my HIDs have just passed the MOT so perhaps the requirements are not as stringent as first thought providing the installation is done properly?

tikkathreebarrels
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGF my2000

Post by tikkathreebarrels » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:26 am

Given that the ones in the link have clear glass lenses rather than etched/moulded with a pattern, I'm inclined to suggest that they could well be driving lamps with either a long range pencil beam or more likely a wide spread of light than a pukka fog lamp which should have a very shallow, flat-topped beam.
All depends what you want them to do of course...

Bandit
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

Post by Bandit » Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:31 am

http://www.legislation.gov.uk/uksi/1989 ... ule/6/made

I'm taking that to mean that if fitted, fog lamps must be no more than 400mm from the side of the car, which I have a feeling the front grille opening is.

I can't think of any production vehicles that have fog lamps considerably closer to the centre line, usually they're quite close to the headlamp position.

And yes, for MOT purposes, it's down to 'Tester Discretion' to a large degree. Traffic policemen have been known to be sticklers for the law though :lol:

GazMG

Post by GazMG » Sun Apr 01, 2012 11:07 am

Front fog lights are not tested for MOT purposes though, ever!

Flightline
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by Flightline » Wed May 30, 2012 10:34 pm

Mine were on my Audi yesterday... If they are fitted, they have to work!