End of the line

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
Malcbox
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: 1998 VVC

End of the line

Post by Malcbox » Sun Jul 22, 2012 9:26 pm

Having flown into a John Cleese like paddy when the F did it's intermitent "I ain't gonna turn over" trick, I loudly announced "right that's it, you're getting traded in in the morning" and lo and behold I find I am now the owner of a nice shiney sensible car and the F has got a trade in value of £700. I'm sure the dealer will end up selling it on and it's fate is then in the lap of the Gods, but my neighbour has oft coverted the car and he has first dibs on buying the car, but if he don't want it, I would like to give others in the MGF world the chance of keeping it on the road.

It is a 1997 VVC 1.8 in Nightfire Red which I have owned for 7 years and is/has been in daily use. The bodywork is "OK" for it's age, no major rust, but plenty of shopping trolley dings and minor scratches. Mileage is a grand old 128K, but the engine was completely rebuilt with finest parts @86k - it runs well and has had a 6 monthly oil change. Hood has no holes and does not leak, though the zip on the back screen has bust and the previous owner had sewn it in. Interior wise, the seats and carpets are "tired" but everything works.

Recent new discs all round, exhaust, new front headlights and a new battery are the highlights. The intermitemnt starting fault that provoked this rather extreem reaction is probably a broken wire to the starting solenoid, as a quick stir of the wires always gets it going.

I am due to get the sensible car on Friday PM, so not much time to consider it's fate. If there is any interest in saving the car for future generations, please PM me and I can supply pictures of any bit you would like to see in closeup and answer any other questions.

I'll probably have some "bits" once I get around to sorting them after the car has gone.

Regretting it already.......

Edit (for the quick off the mark of you) it is taxed to end Sept 12 and has an MOT to Feb 13.
2nd Edit: The car is 5 miles from J6 of the M40

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: End of the line

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 23, 2012 4:01 pm

I'll pass on the details Malc :)

PS any pictures?

Malcbox
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: 1998 VVC

Post by Malcbox » Mon Jul 23, 2012 8:50 pm

My neighbour has decided he would like to buy the car, so it isn't for the scrapyard this month - I let him have in at less than the trade in price, just so it stayed on the road.

Here's what you could have won......
MG1.jpg
MG2.jpg
m3.jpg
m4.jpg

He's undecided on the matching Nightfire Red hardtop, with brand new cream headlining, but as thats now hung up in the back of the shed, I'll give him a few months to ponder over it before it comes up on here or e-Bay........

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 24, 2012 9:10 pm

Looks like a smart, nicely kept car - I think you're neighbour bagged himself a bargain :thumbsu: