stainless exhaust and cat

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
danny072
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

stainless exhaust and cat

Post by danny072 » Sat May 23, 2015 2:01 pm

Hi everyone,

Firstly apologies if I have stuffed this up and posted in the wrong place or am missing some kind of forum etiquette but I am new to here so near with me.

Right just got my first F for a weekend car and have completely fallen in love with it, there is something about it that screams charm, even the controls that fall off in your hands and bits that dont quite fit right just make it that much more loveable !

Anyway to the point of my post, my 1998 f had an advisory for rusty back box and noisy where its clunking the body work, but having got it up on ramps at the exhaust place its the cat which is shot making the noise and the back box actually looks okay, also the flexi link could do with replacing soon.

If I need to change the cat and flexi then I may as well put on a stainless exhaust to give it a more throaty sound, not too fussed on power gains so standard cat will suffice.

So if anyone out there has a stainless system and cat available at a decent price then let me know, closer to Northamptonshire the better..... and if there is anyone out there who can also fit then even better !!!

Dozers Dad

Re: stainless exhaust and cat

Post by Dozers Dad » Sat May 23, 2015 3:23 pm

Hi danny072,

I've just put a TT MK7 stainless system on mine a couple of weeks ago. Not cheap but it sounds even better than it looks. I live in Northampton if you want a look/listen before considering buying one?

Regards Jez

danny072

Post by danny072 » Sat May 23, 2015 4:53 pm

Hey thanks for the reply and the offer I might take you up on that. Where did you source it from as I know they are quite rare

Also did you leave original cat in place and just go back box ?

Did you fit yourself ?

Once again thanks for the reply

Dan

Dozers Dad

Post by Dozers Dad » Sat May 23, 2015 5:46 pm

Hi Dan,

They are made in small batches & often to order but I wouldn't say they are rare as such? I have a phone number for the guy that makes them if you decide to order one?

I was going to fit it myself but I happened to mention it to an MGF specialst that was going to underseal my car. They offered to fit the exhaust at the same time for a nominal fee so I agreed. The only real ball ache is removing the old bolts. However having seen how easy it was with an air ratchet etc. I'd suggest taking the car + exhaust along to your local tyre & exhaust place & waving £20 under their nose.

Mine still has the CAT fitted but decat pipes can be purchased for approx £35. I keep saying I'm going to try one out? Apparently it makes the set up very loud though? More boy racer loud than classic car loud!
At the min (with the CAT fitted) it hardly sounds any different at tickover. At motorway speeds it's just a subtle throaty drone. However if you give it the berries through the gears it sounds AWESOME!!! :thumbsu:

So imho it's perfect!... i.e. it's not going to annoy your neighbours if you decide to go for a spin at 7am on a Sunday morning. Or drive you insane on a long motorway journey. The only real downside is that your fuel bill may increase slightly? As you'll be hanging onto 2nd & 3rd gear a bit longer to listen to the fantastic sound track! :D

Here's a photo. It's just a shame it's hidden from view as it's a real thing of beauty if your a petrol head? Which I'm guessing you are? :thumbsu:

Regards Jez
Attachments
20150505_163219-1.jpg

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Sat May 23, 2015 8:11 pm

I managed to bag a complete ToyoSports system on EBay in 2 separate auctions. Stainless manifold, downpipe and back box for approx £220! A bargain! Replaced the cat with an eBay £35 one. She sailed thru the mot with very low emissions and sounds lovely. But be prepared with the Toyo to have to do a bit of persuasion on the hangers when fitting!

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

danny072

Post by danny072 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:14 pm

Looks cracking, the boots look good too, are they on standard wheels ?

Like you I don't really want the boy racer thing just something with a little more throat to it.

I have had a look about and am surprised there are not more off the shelf stainless systems out there.

Will give you a shout, would be good to get a look and listen to yours in the flesh

danny072

Post by danny072 » Sat May 23, 2015 8:16 pm

Hi wow 220 that's really good for a complete system, local exhaust guy is pretty decent so I think he will fix me up and wrestle it into place, just gotta find me a system at that price now !

Dozers Dad

Post by Dozers Dad » Sat May 23, 2015 9:13 pm

danny072 wrote:Looks cracking, the boots look good too, are they on standard wheels ?

Like you I don't really want the boy racer thing just something with a little more throat to it.

I have had a look about and am surprised there are not more off the shelf stainless systems out there.

Will give you a shout, would be good to get a look and listen to yours in the flesh
Yes mate they are 215/40/16's on the standard 16" square spoke wheels for the VVC. I'd like a set of the 16" MGF anniversary wheels (very similar to the MG ZR multi spoke Hairpin wheels) Just can't find a decent set at a good price?

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Sat May 23, 2015 9:58 pm

You just need to keep an eye on the ToyoSport auctions on EBay. Sometimes they finish at a low price. Don't be tempted BY their buy it now prices though!

Sent from my DAGGER DG550 using Tapatalk

Glenn Neilson
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Glenn Neilson » Mon May 25, 2015 8:26 am

Not sure if your still looking for a ss exhaust but I've recently removed my TT MK4 so it's now for sale.

Details . . .
http://mg-freedom.proboards.com/thread/ ... ust-mk4-42

danny072

Post by danny072 » Mon May 25, 2015 8:52 am

Thanks for the reply, sent you a PM

Glenn Neilson
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Glenn Neilson » Mon May 25, 2015 5:33 pm

Picture of the TT MK4 with chrome finishers fitted.

Additional supports added along the top to give additional support as the original had only one support bracket and was known to fail.