Beautiful MGF in Market Drayton Shropshire

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
JustExtreme
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Beautiful MGF in Market Drayton Shropshire

Post by JustExtreme » Sun Jul 23, 2017 6:56 pm

I'm new as you'll be able to see from my post count.

I've just come across this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/MGF-1-8i-VVC- ... SwWrJZb7wR and thinking about going to view/test drive. I'm only based in Telford so it's not far up the road.

I've never had an MGF or TF before but I'm fairly set on getting one for some summer fun. My daily driver is a Suzuki Swift 56 1.5 which is also quite fun but not "convertible fun". I did own an X reg R75 for a while so I'm not entirely new to MG Rover.

This car seems very well looked after with the upgraded cooling pipes and extra manual fan etc.

Anything I should look out for or that rings any bells for you experienced folk? I did an MOT history check and seems ok.

John SS
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Re: Beautiful MGF in Market Drayton Shropshire

Post by John SS » Sun Jul 23, 2017 10:26 pm

Beautiful looking car. Go for it and good luck.

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Mon Jul 24, 2017 6:40 pm

MOT history check shows it was without an MOT from August 2015 to January 2017. Other MOT details including an advisory of front subframe and chassis rusty and weak Also note that it has an incorrectly spaced number plate recorded. As i can't see anything special about the current number plate, it may have had a 'private' number plate. This can hinder trying to track the car's history, if it doesn't have a comprehensive paper trail history, Check here for yourself on the MOT history. https://www.check-mot.service.gov.uk/

In my opinion the suspension has been set to high, and that would need dropping to correct height. The title in the ebay advert states 'VOSA recorded' suggesting it has sustained accident damage at some point. I would clarify exactly what has happened, and thoroughly check any repairs.

For a MGF/TF buying guide read this, it will be very helpfull http://www.mgf.ultimatemg.com/group1/in ... buying.htm

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:22 am

I also saw this car and thought it looks good, lovely colour combination (taheti blue) and low mileage. However having spoken to the owner the service history book has been lost so you don't know how well it's been looked after, he said he's only selling to buy a Trophy.

On the plus side it's recently had; upgraded head gasket, new timing belts, water pump, belt tensioner, new disks and pads, stainless steel water pipes, alloy radiator, tires as new. All this would cost at least £1,000 for a mechanic to do for you.

It also says the car is rust free, which would be amazing but I would be surprised if it is so check it carefully using that buyers guide for reference.

I can't see any reference to a rusting subframe on the mot history or anything about the number plate that David mentioned about so not sure what's happened there. Also all I think he means by VOSA is that the mileage has been recorded via the mot which verifies it.

I think the ride height looks fine, I recently had my F set to the correct height of 368mm (+\-10mm) and it looks far too heigh but it is as MGR specified, what you will probably find is the ride is too firm where the nitrogen in the spheres has depleted and they are now mainly filled with fluid, but that's another story!

If you can live without a service history then i think it looks pretty good subject to an inspection of course. You may even be able to track down some service history if you contact the garages that carried out the mot's as most people get both done at the same time/place, I'd call the owner and have a chat with him...

beefio

Post by beefio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:25 am

Also I'd move this tread to the general section as most people won't see it here and give you more advice!

beefio

Post by beefio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 7:51 am

In 2013 it failed an mot on both Front and Rear Suspension has inadequate clearance with the bump stop. So it was very low and was probably pumped up with fluid, as I said this can make the ride hard and uncomfortable. If you want to fix it properly by re-gassing the hydragas spheres with nitrogen like I did then it would cost £350, however there is a new method being developed which may be a lot cheaper, see this thread...

viewtopic.php?f=8&t=23500

beefio

Post by beefio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:14 am

Also if you put it in the general section then you may be able to get an experienced member to come and look at it with you as people are often very helpful and willing on here!

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Thu Jul 27, 2017 6:48 pm

Advisory on subframe is dated 29 Aprril 2010, number plate is 28 April 2006.

JustExtreme

Post by JustExtreme » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:06 pm

Previous reg was L80MG according to the seller so as suspected it had a custom one for a bit

I've posted a thread in general discussion as suggested above https://www.mgfregister.org/forum/viewt ... 58#p181858

beefio

Post by beefio » Thu Jul 27, 2017 8:22 pm

Ah I see I didn't look back that far. But seems strange that there was an advisory on the front sub frame in 2010 but then no mention since, either they had some work done to sort it or the mot test or was being over zealous...either way probably not an issue, but go and check it...