Am looking for an MG "F" ?

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
shadwell
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Am looking for an MG "F" ?

Post by shadwell » Mon Nov 27, 2017 9:16 am

Hi all,
Just joined the Forum as am interested in getting a decent 1.8 (have been 'warned off' getting a VVC! - maybe incorrectly?) circa 2000 era, ideally with a hardtop for security. Am now hunting up sources of good literature to check what to look for, (but already know a moderate amount about the head gasket issue and what should have been done by now!).
I can see from Ebay Parts are easy and cheap(and have 50 years of working on old cars to help with any problems!), so presume rust is the main worry to look out for?
Any suggestions welcome, as would be any rust free cars to consider to buy!,
Cheers, Richard (West Norfolk)

The old one
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 1.8 l

Re: Am looking for an MG "F" ?

Post by The old one » Mon Nov 27, 2017 1:07 pm

Hello Richard,
The F's are now coming to an age were you have to look every ware, The engines are fairly bomb proof if maintained correctly (if not filled with K seal). Look on the internet for something that takes you fancy and budget, carry out a DVLA MOT check to see the last 4-5 years history, if it fails every year might be an idea to give it a wide berth. Check on the front track control arms as they are known to corrode, rear end of the cill's near the closer plate is a good place to look, also rear sub frames are now being welded up. there are some in the Norwich area with low mileage and lots of paperwork, look for a good one and hard tops are easy to find.
Steve

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Nov 27, 2017 11:17 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum

Do not get hung up on head gaskets, some go and others just go on and on.

Personally I love the VVC, have two in the 1.8 and the equivalent in the 2.5 V6.

Now is a good time to buy, cars are cheaper than in summer.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

ace
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by ace » Tue Nov 28, 2017 3:14 pm

I have a TF for sale.

It's a VVC.

Passed its MOT in May 2016 and has not been used since. There were the following advisories -

Front Lower Suspension arm corroded but not seriously weakened both (2.4.G.1)
Offside Rear Shock absorber has a light misting of oil (2.7.3)
Rear Tyre worn close to the legal limit both (4.1.E.1)

It has since been fitted with four new Toyo tyres.

48000 miles.

Silver.

Decent condition and no rust.

Open to any reasonable offer.

Dave

Crx69
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Mgf 1.8i

Post by Crx69 » Sat Dec 09, 2017 6:41 am

I've just picked up a bargain of a 2001 mgf 1.8i for 200 quid.

They are out there

Happy hunting
mgf 1999.Upgrades::: Toyosports Stainless steel exhsust:::Full flow air filter:::.52mm TB.full head and door speaker upgrade head unit via Absolute Audio.

Mgtf 135 no upgrades yet.......new toy ...