MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel still for sale.

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel still for sale.

Post by GJO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 3:48 pm

I had considered advertising this as a hardtop for sale with a free car thrown in! Our 1996 MGF in metallic British Racing Green (HAM) has been standing on our driveway unused for two months. Until last October, it was my wife's daily commute to work but she was diagnosed with gastro-oesophageal cancer at the beginning of December and although the prognosis is hopeful, we have two other cars and it is unlikely that we will need this one again.

The car has its original black leather seats and the rare wood and leather steering wheel. There are no frills - no power steering, no ABS - but it comes with two working keys and fobs and and its original handbooks etc. The condition of the paintwork is dreadful - the lacquer on the bonnet is peeling and much of the right hand side of the car looks as if it has been rubbed with course sandpaper - for this reason we have always called it "The Reptile" because it appears to be shedding its skin. The photograph in my avatar was taken in better days when the problems with the paintwork were less apparent.

The MGF hardtop was purchased separately. It is black and needs attention to the headlining. The car has a working heated rear window switch and relay. The hardtop has a heated rear window. The hood was a second-hand replacement the original hood and frame is available if required.

There are some good points:

The car has been maintained regardless of cost mainly by Gavin Fairley at MG Rover Repair near Coventry.
https://www.mgroverrepair.co.uk/

Additionally we did have expensive head gasket work carried out by the now defunct MGR Services and more work carried out by Jon at Rough Luck Racing after we suffered a cam belt tensioner failure.

The car is quite sound mechanically and work carried out during the last few years has included new brake discs and pads all round including new rear callipers, new clutch master and slave cylinders, new suspension bushes, new alternator and upgraded alternator belt tensioner and bolts from MG Mania.

The car passed its MOT in November 2017 and is drivable.

Having said that, it hasn't been used for two months and when I took it out for a spin today, I noticed the following new faults:
The car is very damp inside from lack of use and standing outside - it took some starting but once started it ran well and re-starting wasn't a problem.
The tyres may need replacing but everything else seemed OK.

This may be a good project car or an inexpensive runabout - the registration number is quite distinctive: P62 XUD

I would like the car to go to a good home and I am looking for offers in excess of £395 to include the hardtop - it will be advertised on eBay shortly.

Email enquiries from MGCC members would be most welcome.
Last edited by GJO on Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:34 am, edited 2 times in total.
Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Re: MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel for sale

Post by daz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 6:51 pm

Hi Graham,

where are you based?

GJO

Re: MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel for sale

Post by GJO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:15 pm

daz wrote:Hi Graham,

where are you based?
In the village of Cropredy - which is 3 miles north of Banbury - Junction 11 on the M40.

The car is now listed on eBay https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222814256934 with a couple of extra pics.
Graham

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Sun Jan 28, 2018 8:22 pm

Shame, just what I was looking for, it sold before I had chance to have a look.

GJO

Post by GJO » Sun Jan 28, 2018 10:26 pm

daz wrote:Shame, just what I was looking for, it sold before I had chance to have a look.
Unbelievable - sold within 15 minutes of listing! I hope the eBay buyer comes good.

I will now have to change my Avatar!
Graham

GJO

Re: MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel for sale *SOLD*

Post by GJO » Thu Feb 01, 2018 11:30 am

Now available again because eBay bidder had insufficient funds!

I will hold off re-listing on eBay until Sunday evening. There are photographs on eBay - search for item number 222814256934 . . .
Graham

hammond
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: VVC Freestyle

Re: MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel for sale *SOLD*

Post by hammond » Thu Feb 01, 2018 4:57 pm

GJO wrote:Now available again because eBay bidder had insufficient funds!

I will hold off re-listing on eBay until Sunday evening. There are photographs on eBay - search for item number 222814256934 . . .
Never trust a sale on eBay until you see the funds :roll:

GJO

Re: MGF with hardtop, black leather seats and wood/leather steering wheel still for sale.

Post by GJO » Wed Feb 07, 2018 4:22 pm

Now re-listed on eBay with additional information and more recent photographs.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222819757539
Graham