HID headlamp kit for sale

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

HID headlamp kit for sale

Post by cococola » Sat Feb 24, 2018 4:22 pm

I have for sale an hid headlight conversion kit that was previously on my old MGF a fabulous improvement on the headlights and they are very easy to fit too. The kit consists of a pair of hid headlamp bulbs , the wiring looms that simply plugs in and a pair of hid control units Iam looking for £15 plus a fiver on top if postage required.
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

theredthing
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 2000 VVC

Re: HID headlamp kit for sale

Post by theredthing » Sat Feb 24, 2018 9:03 pm

Can you show me what they look like. I might be interested.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cococola

Post by cococola » Sun Feb 25, 2018 3:45 pm

Hi pics attached
Attachments
20180225_105950.jpg
20180225_110005.jpg
20180225_110000.jpg
20180225_105943.jpg

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:26 pm

Just a note, the MOT rules are going to change this May to make the grey area of using HIDs more clear for the MOT stations.

Quote from new manual that will read,
Some vehicles may be fitted with High Intensity Discharge (HID) headlamps. It is not permitted to convert existing halogen headlamp units for use with HID bulbs. If it is clear that such a conversion has been carried out, rather than replacing the entire unit with one designed and approved for use with HID bulbs, the headlamp should be rejected.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

theredthing
Model of Car: 2000 VVC

Post by theredthing » Sun Feb 25, 2018 5:18 pm

cococola wrote:Hi pics attached
Ok, thanks. I think I’ll leave them. Sorry.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

cococola

Post by cococola » Sun Feb 25, 2018 7:13 pm

no problem

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Thu Jan 16, 2020 1:54 pm

Well after passing the last 12 MOTs with HID headlights fitted on my daily driver F, I have finally been failed on them for being HID. It is being retested today with normal incandescent bulbs. So maybe the May 2018 regs clarification mentioned by Keith above is now being applied. It passed last January's one at the same garage with the same tester, so maybe an awareness change!
My approach will be like that of many decat fans - change for the MOT then back again immediately afterwards.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jan 16, 2020 10:49 pm

HID headlights may give you a better light however they are not compatible with OEM reflectors resulting in extreme glare for oncoming traffic. A good reason for them to be a MOT failure.
Geoff.F

Mikeadman
Model of Car: MGTF 135 2005

Post by Mikeadman » Fri Jan 17, 2020 5:05 pm

Had them fitted in my 1971 Triumph TR6 never had a problem with MOT!!!!

Cheers

Mike

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:07 am

HID has always been a bit of a dodgy grey area - but at least the rules clarification helps here. There are pros and cons specific to the MGF - pros being better light output and cooler running temperature (heat rather than light colour) - which may actually help slow the reflector degradation.

One issue is that although we all assume that one MoT is the same as the other (they should be). However, the reality is that it really boils down to the individual tester, what he/she sees, what and how he/she tests and how he/she interprets the regulations. As a result, if a car passes with HID bulbs fitted, it doesn't mean necessarily that the modification is MoT compliant and would not be failed by another MoT tester in the future.

Cars of a certain age however are treated differently, as the lights are not E-marked and are subjected to different testing rules (Mike, your 40 year old TR6 being an example). Which means you can use LED bulbs for example - and possibly even HIDs. Whether the focal point of the HID bulb is in the right place for the reflector assembly it is being used in is another question...

I researched this some while back now and elected to not fit them to my car (http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/lighting/HID/index.htm) but I can perfectly understand why people chose to. Now the regulations have been clarified, the answer is that they are not for on-road use - or at least not until someone decides to invest the bucks required to make a replacement headlight that meets the necessary requirements.

One last point: I suspect that you can buy a brand new HID kit from China for less than 15 quid (just checked: you can) - so old kits are probably worth next to nothing now. Sorry :(