Wanted: 1x Tecnomagnesio ULW Wheel

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
Tomcatciller
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: Mk1 MPI /Mk2 Trophy

Wanted: 1x Tecnomagnesio ULW Wheel

Post by Tomcatciller » Mon Jul 04, 2022 7:52 pm

Hello MGF / TF Fans,

in the last two weeks I managed to buy 3x ULW wheels at Ebay.uk:

-1st wheel RRC002040LEH
-2nd wheel RRC002040LEH
-3rd wheel RRC002040MNH

They are still in the Uk but slowly going the long way to Germany. My logical question is if anyone has a single ULW wheel to sell to complete my Set?

Because of the different colours the surface condition don't matter much. I have to repaint anyways.

But the wheel shouldn't have any serious damages, dents or cracks.

Just in Case someone knows someone... I guess I need to wait annother century to get the last one. :lol:

Greetings from Germany.
Last edited by Tomcatciller on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Wanted: 1x Tecnomagnesia ULW Wheel

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 11, 2022 10:07 am

Good luck with this search - they are incredibly difficult to find! But they do turn up from time to time (from which, you can surmise that I don't have a single spare ULW! :lol: - I've just had a set of four ex-racing wheels refurbished and straightened - they do go out of true remarkably easily unfortunately)

Tomcatciller

Re: Wanted: 1x Tecnomagnesio ULW Wheel

Post by Tomcatciller » Mon Jul 11, 2022 7:05 pm

Yes, I will see. Some questions:

Some people say ULW are the Sports Pack 3 Option for MGF Trophy 160 and TF 160. Some people say TF160 only. What is right? I mean I am in Germany and need the approval from TÜV (German MOT). I want to put them on a F Trophy.

Second question: Although the manufacturer is called Tecnomagnesio are they really out of Magnesium or just Aluminium alloy with low amount of Magnesium? Or forged aluminium like all of these OZ wheels?

Third question`: What do mean with straightened? Is this possible with such light fragile wheels?

Greetings from Germany
Last edited by Tomcatciller on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:13 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 12, 2022 3:30 pm

The MGF Trophy 160 used 6-spoke Technomagnesia wheels - these are quite different (and a lot heavier) than the ULWs fitted to the TF 160. Technomagnesia was the name of the manufacturer - and although suggested the use of magnesium, they are just an aluminium alloy. They look very nice though!

ULW were never fitted to any MGF. They were only ever offered as a SportsPack option 3 on the TF (I can't remember whether this was exclusive to the TF160, or whether it could have been ordered for the 135 as well, but uptake was not huge given the £1,500 price for four when new). They are, however, over a kilo lighter per wheel than the next lightest wheel style, and a staggering 3.5kg lighter than the aforementioned Technomagnesia wheels!!!

More here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/suspen ... he_mgf.htm

Weights are approximate, based on my home bathroom electronic scale meaurement! :lol:

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Tue Jul 12, 2022 5:01 pm

Hm, ok, I guess you mean the 11-spoke Tecnomagnesio wheels that are standard on the Trophy. I dont know any optional 6 spoke wheels on the Trophy? Even the linked Website don´t show any optional 6-spoke wheel for the Trophy, only the Mk2 MGF. Do the 6 Spoke fit over the AP 4 Ports?

According to my German (Swiss) Trophy Prospect, there was a 16" Ultralight wheel option for the Trophy beside Air Conditioning and a Hardtop:

This is my hope that these ULW wheel number codes will be included in the MGF Trophy Vehicle Certification in Germany.
Last edited by Tomcatciller on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jul 14, 2022 4:22 pm

My error - I meant 11-spoke! :lol:

Interesting to see that listed for the Trophy 160 - and I think you'll have the justification you need to use them on your car :thumbsu:

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Thu Jul 14, 2022 5:38 pm

Hm, this was my motivation to look for the ULWs beside the fact that the ultra heavy stock Trophy wheels are the heaviest of all 95.25 PCD wheels.

Can someone please check if the Uk Version of this Trophy advertisement has the Ultra Light wheel option too? Maybe this was just an option in the export versions?

Or even a complete paper tiger and nobody really could order them until the TF entered the market?

Greetings from Germany.
Last edited by Tomcatciller on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jul 15, 2022 4:02 pm

I can only comment about UK orders, which were TF only, but export orders may have been different?

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:14 pm

I found an UK MGF Trophy Brochure at eBay.uk with a picture of the page.

If you enlarge the third picture you can find something like:
Forged spun ultra lightweight 16" alloy wheels with Yokohama A539 tires....

It seems so in the Uk this option was advertised too. The question is if it was a paper Tiger and never reality to order with the MGF. Has anybody the "Price List" which is mentioned in the brochure?

Edit:
Found the Trophy Price List At eBay. Third picture again, ULW wheels were an Option for MGF Trophy for 1500£.

Question remains, just a Fake or real in 2001 for the F. :)

Greetings from Germany
Last edited by Tomcatciller on Sun Aug 28, 2022 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 7:10 am

These are my lightweight (not ultra lights) wheels to replace the 11 spokes that I have just sold. The 11 spokes were very badly kerbed, they are now on their way for a race car. I have not weighed them the info on various sites is 15.5 pounds (7.1kgs). A bit of a fiddle to fit though.
Attachments
7E3BA7A5-8D5A-485C-872E-493293DD2E3E.jpeg

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Aug 22, 2022 4:51 pm

Tomcatciller wrote:
Wed Jul 20, 2022 10:14 pm
I found an UK MGF Trophy Brochure at eBay.uk with a picture of the page.

If you enlarge the third picture you can find something like:
Forged spun ultra lightweight 16" alloy wheels with Yokohama A539 tires....

It seems so in the Uk this option was advertised too. The question is if it was a paper Tiger and never reality to order with the MGF. Has anybody the "Price List" which is mentioned in the brochure?

Edit:
Found the Trophy Price List At eBay. Third picture again, ULW wheels were an Option for MGF Trophy for 1500£.

Question remains, just a Fake or real in 2001 for the F. :)

Greetings from Germany
Super interesting! Must have been a late option for the Trophy 160, but I would suggest that you have the evidence you need to justify these wheels with the TUV! :D :thumbsu:

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:53 am

Each and every car has its own Certificate of Compliance common in the EU .They are the requirement for your TUV
I "imported" my F back from Switzerland for UK Registration in 2001. It has an appendix of additional items form the basic car which included 16in wheels on my car..
I will try and find how I got it but it was 20 years ago
Geoff.F

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Aug 26, 2022 10:53 am

Each and every car has its own Certificate of Compliance common in the EU .They are the requirement for your TUV
I "imported" my F back from Switzerland for UK Registration in 2001. It has an appendix of additional items form the basic car which included 16in wheels on my car..
I will try and find how I got it but it was 20 years ago
Geoff.F

Tomcatciller

Post by Tomcatciller » Tue Aug 30, 2022 7:08 pm

The three rims finally arrived in Germany. Most of the time sitting in the customs clearance... a drama of its own and i am still waiting the bill for tax and transport....

Never the less here they are:
And its seems so they keep the promise of Ultra low weight:
6,2 kg is realistic. Still better than these OZ Ultraleggera / Allegeritta stuff where adapter plates are needed for the F / TF.

My problem beside the missing fourth wheel is, that the silver wheel is blank. There is no part number like "RRC002040MNH". This will make trouble with german TÜV. Although it is very clear that the silver one is the same model as the black ones.

The black ones seems to have full marking:
- Partnumber RRC002040LEH
- Japan? - Made for Japanese market ?
- Rim has the dimension 7x16 ET26 (2 mm more then usual 28ET MG wheels - thats why 4 mm wider track ?)
- JWL japanese light wheel testing standard passed symbol
- Serial number that indicates, that approx 100x Sets of ULW wheels were made (not in picture)

By the way due to the trouble with customs service i changed the title. I cannot find any prove of a company called TechnomagnesiA, but there is a company called Technomagnesio

Greetings from Germany