1998 MGF repair project of a fabulous car

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
Angel
MGF Register Region: North Wales

1998 MGF repair project of a fabulous car

Post by Angel » Thu Jun 15, 2023 10:07 pm

My beautiful MGF blew head gasket on the way to work this morning :( She was first registered in June 1998 and has only done 38,000 miles. Last MOT in October 2022 and spent £500 on new brake pads and discs. Spends most of it's life in dry storage. RAC recovery said today that there are usually corrosion issues on the chassis but he commented that this was was in really good condition and he was surprised by that. I would like to think that this a good project for an enthusiast to make the best of this car. It also has a hard top with cover. There is also a full body protective cover as well as a roof top cover. There is no visible sign of corrosion on the arches and overall is (as various technicians have commented) in really good condition.
If you are interested in making an offer please get in touch, photos are available. The car can be viewed in Deeside, North Wales CH5 area

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Re: 1998 MGF repair project of a fabulous car

Post by David Dixon » Fri Jun 16, 2023 6:39 am

Why not get it fixed yourself, John Woods Motorcare are not far away from Deeside being in Mold. They are familiar with F/TF.

seasider
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF

Post by seasider » Sat Jun 17, 2023 8:06 am

I agree with David, it might be possible to fix the car. I would get the engine looked at to see what damage has been done by the blown head gasket and take it from there. If the rest of the car is good then it's probably worth investing in it.

Angel
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Angel » Sat Jun 17, 2023 11:09 am

Hi Guys, thanks for your replies, unfortunately I have too much on my plate at the moment with house renovations. The MGF was only ever my fun car for very occasional use. So still looking for someone more committed than myself to make me an offer.

seasider
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF

Post by seasider » Sat Jun 17, 2023 12:12 pm

Hope it goes to a good home. Although not rare the good ones that are left need preserving!

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 03, 2023 10:55 am

Would be good to get some pictures posted of the MG? :)

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:09 am

It would be worth you changing the head gasket or dropping a good 2nd hand engine into it. Looking at values at present you wont get much for it sadly as a non runner so would be best advised to do the work and either keep or sell on as a running car. I was talking to Darren at Mgfntfbitz the other day who mentioned he has several tested engines. Ask around friends and neighbours for a car enthusiast they know who would give you a hand with the spanner wielding for beer money.

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Thu Aug 24, 2023 11:52 am

https://inspectmyclassic.co.uk
Contact Adam at John Woods Motorcare ...known him for years and he looks after my TF..only in Mold so near to you worth a call at least👍😉?
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Notanumber
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Post by Notanumber » Thu Aug 31, 2023 2:49 pm

Find a friend or relative that will let you store it on their drive until you have time to look at it.