2001 MG MGF 1.8i - leather seats and trim.

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

2001 MG MGF 1.8i - leather seats and trim.

Post by GJO » Thu Nov 16, 2023 12:33 pm

We have replaced our MGF with a later model MG TF and are now offering the MGF for sale on eBay.
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225872971209

This somewhat battered MGF is well worth a look - it has been used as our daily commute (about seven miles each way) for the last nine years. As well as for touring holidays - taking us to Spain three times. It is still a good and reliable runner that is now in need of attention to the bodywork but too good a car to go to the breakers. An excellent project for someone with access to the necessary skills, parts and equipment.

Offers from members will be considered.

Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red

Notanumber
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: TF 135 Sunstorm

Re: 2001 MG MGF 1.8i - leather seats and trim.

Post by Notanumber » Tue Nov 28, 2023 5:42 pm

Having bought and improved 2 TFs I would be quite interested in an F as a project car but will only have a very small budget. Please consider me in the event of your not being able to sell it for more serious money.

Notanumber

Post by Notanumber » Fri Dec 22, 2023 5:53 pm

I've sent a PM please give me a shout either way. Chris

GJO
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by GJO » Tue Jan 02, 2024 11:12 am

Thank you to those who messaged me. We have spent a lot of money on this car - including more than £700 in the last year.
We therefore need to get more than the scrap value and have put the car up for auction on eBay:
https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/225939891487
Graham
2009 MG TF 135, Radiant Red

Reckless Rat
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Tue Jan 02, 2024 7:38 pm

It's nice enough to have a punt at but if I'm honest, I think you'll be lucky if you get much beyond £500 for it. The cam belt is out of date and the next MOT is not that far off either.

The problem is that the car is not an early 'F' (so close to "Classic ULEZ age") nor is it worth much more than two bob and a "blackies egg" in Glasses guide. It all depends on what you're happy to let it go for. Someone as you say that can DIY the mechanicals, bodywork and paint will get a bargain, but other than that it's a pig in a poke for someone that has to pay to get jobs done.

The sad reality is that any car can become a money pit and you have to know when to accept defeat. (Unless of course you can find somewhere to garage it SORN until 2031...)

And sorry, but I've just had a voice shout in my ear: "No, you're not having another one..."

Best of luck.

Notanumber

Post by Notanumber » Mon Jan 08, 2024 10:01 am

For buyers F & TFs are great value to buy and there are a lot to choose from. Unfortunately that has resulted in cars with a bit of a story, be that either MOT failures or cars which need bodywork or engine work, having a low saleable value.

Probably the best thing would be for the seller to address some of the issues to increase the car's desirability. Economically this is probably only viable if the seller is doing the work himself or getting the work carried out at mate's rates. Otherwise the seller could choose to part with it to someone prepared to carry out the work themselves or could put the car away under cover for a few years until values have risen sufficient to warrant a garage doing the repairs.