mgf - mgtf silicon coolant system hoses

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
frodomodo
MGF Register Region: South East

mgf - mgtf silicon coolant system hoses

Post by frodomodo » Mon Sep 28, 2009 10:31 am

My 1998 MGf VVc developed a leak in a coolant hose. I thought I'd replace it with a silicon one, only to discover that no-one makes them! After much research, I spoke to a hose manufacturer who is happy to make slilicon hoses to order; however, the outlay costs mean that a minimum run of Twenty sets per production run would be required to make it viable. If anyone else wants silicon hoses for their cars, let me know and once we have the required number I will get the whole thing underway. (just Pm me here and I will keep everyone informed to the running total). thanks, Frodo.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Re: mgf - mgtf silicon coolant system hoses

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Sep 28, 2009 12:02 pm

We cannot show any interest without knowing what pipes would be involved and the cost, particularly as a multiple of the OEM pipes.
As OEM are good for ten years, will we be keeping our cars for 10 X this multiple ??.
Any chain is as strong as it's weakest link. There is no point in upgrading anything but all the pipes and clamps.
Geoff.F

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Mon Sep 28, 2009 1:03 pm

I know of another owner who has also contacted a silicone hose manufacturer with regards getting a hose kit suitable for a 2004 TF160 into production. This was as a result of discovering several of the OEM hoses were now unobtainable new.

It did highlight an issue in that there are a few different hose configurations used on the F and TF. So IMO you need to be more specific about what hoses you intend to get made, as it will determine which F/TF variants they will fit.
There are at least 2 different configurations for the thermostat pipework for example.

Personally “I’m out”, not because I don’t like the idea of getting silicone hoses made, because I do, but because I know a hose kit ’98 VVC F wont fit my 2005 TF160.

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 8:36 am

I take all your points. I am simply trying to corral interest in getting silicon hoses. Certainly I would be wanting to do the full set. I can't be definitive on the price, except to say that the conversations I've had with the hose company have been on the assumption that it would be 'competitive' i.e in line with hose sets for other vehicles. And as for there being variants, I think there are three set-ups but the company I'm talking to seem very helpful and I'm sure they could incorporate those into a bulk deal. At this stage, all I'm looking for is statements of intent. Let's put our names down, see how many we can get ( for each variant ) and go from there.

AndyG
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: ZTT 400 - 2 x ZS180

Post by AndyG » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:11 pm

Yes very interested.

:thumbsu:
F Trophy 160++ Now sold.
ZTT SE 400 SHM Block. "Super Brick"
ZS 180 Trophy Blue x 2
Triumph SpeedTriple 955i

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Wed Sep 30, 2009 5:20 pm

ok that's a start!!!

Canalsman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Thu Oct 01, 2009 5:39 pm

I'm interested for my 2004 TF 160 - subject to cost.

Fastal
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by Fastal » Sat Oct 03, 2009 3:27 pm

I would be interested also depending on cost 1999 vvc

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:06 am

Update - That's four interesteds so far 3 Fs and 1 TF

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:09 pm

Would be interested in PRT set up :)

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Sun Oct 04, 2009 10:22 pm

I know a few people that have fitted silicon hoses to their Fs and TFs and every one of them have had problems with leaks. In fact I'm sure that's what caused one of them to have a HGF. I'll just stick with the rubber ones.

I don't know if he still sells them but Mike Satur used to stock silicon hoses.

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Mon Oct 05, 2009 4:37 pm

I cannot belive what you're saying. Silicon hoses have better flow characteristics and are more durable to heat, pressure and weathering than rubber. That's why they are an upgrade material. That being the case, why should they contribute to causing HGF? - and with silcon hoses being fitted to every other marque, why should MGf/tf be uniquely cursed with this bad luck? Don't believe it. Tell you what, can you find out where these hoses came from? After all, that's what this thread is all about - sourcing silicon hose!!!

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Mon Oct 05, 2009 8:36 pm

frodomodo wrote:I cannot belive what you're saying. Silicon hoses have better flow characteristics and are more durable to heat, pressure and weathering than rubber. That's why they are an upgrade material. That being the case, why should they contribute to causing HGF? - and with silcon hoses being fitted to every other marque, why should MGf/tf be uniquely cursed with this bad luck? Don't believe it. Tell you what, can you find out where these hoses came from? After all, that's what this thread is all about - sourcing silicon hose!!!
Good points made here, silicon hoses are obviously better, but as Geoff says the one you don't change (like a heater hose behind the dash :roll: ) is the one which is going to fail and negate the cost of fitting superior hoses elsewhere - apart from the obvious coolant loss.

I guess the hoses at the front which run a bit cooler and have less external radiant heat will last the longest, while the engine compartment is a danger zone for coolant hoses.
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Tue Oct 06, 2009 8:16 am

Given the chance, I would hope to replace every hose.

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 8:05 am

Were up to five interesteds 3 f's 1 f with prt and 1tf.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Wed Oct 07, 2009 1:24 pm

I'd be interested, although I've got a partial OEM TF160 set and some alterations to the engine campartment hoses.

Pic/mix?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

frodomodo

Post by frodomodo » Wed Oct 07, 2009 4:58 pm

Let's add you to the list: 6 interesteds so far.