Wanted: Engine 135 for 2003 model

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
Durango2k
MGF Register Region: Europe

Wanted: Engine 135 for 2003 model

Post by Durango2k » Sun Nov 15, 2009 10:34 pm

All,

I am new here, and have been asked by a friend to search (and find!) a 2003 model year 135 (136) bhp engine.

He has a brg car, which has a slightly damaged black top, tan leather, car in good condition- and a blown engine. The PO drove it without water AFAI heard, and so... it is beyond repair I have been told.

I already managed to find a 1999 engine from a scrapyard in London (I have some friends, car nuts, there), but then they told me and I had to accept that it won't fit. Engine code on the dead one here is 18k4fn34.

Any help ? Please....

I am in germany, but as I wrote above, I do have friends in London, and I can organize a transport. Hey, I even bought an E-Type in Cambridge, and an imp kit in scotland, seems I am pretty used to brit stuff :-)

Kind regards,

Carsten

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Re: Wanted: Engine 135 for 2003 model

Post by adrianclifford » Sun Nov 15, 2009 11:14 pm

Hi Carsten, a friend of mine has just written off his 2003 TF135, I know the engine is good. I'll ask him and see if it's available but it will need removing from the car as it's still a runner. I think it's just waiting for the insurance to sort out.

Adrian
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Durango2k

Post by Durango2k » Mon Nov 16, 2009 7:23 am

Hi Adrian,

many thanks !

I might (if this is of interest) as well buy the whole car, or more parts then just the engine. This one here needs a top, cause someone has used a knife on it (!).....

Where is it located ? Please, do NOT write it's "Scotland" or something like that. I once went up to Middlebrough, and it took AGES on the M1 heading up north. Never thought England is so loooong- it is !

Got an imp kit car for free, there, so it was well worth going, but it was a long journey. Think of 3200 km in one weekend, and this is without friday !

Kind regards,

Carsten

Durango2k

Post by Durango2k » Tue Dec 22, 2009 12:20 pm

Push, Push, I STILL need an engine.... are these made from "unobtainium" ?

Carsten

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 22, 2009 4:24 pm

Hi Carsten, don't forget these K series engines are quite reliable and tough. The head gasket was a weak point of course, but it fails to protect the engine from damage.

If you were to get one from a breakers yard you would have no clue as to it's condition so a known second hand engine is not going to be common.

There are none in the one near to me (only F's), does anybody have a breakers near to them that have a low mileage TF135 with an engine ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Dec 23, 2009 12:10 pm

You can use an engine from an earlier car - anything from a 2001 or later 1.8 will be an easy swap. You already have all the ancillaries (particularly the inlet manifold and throttle body) - there after the key difference between the 135 and 120PS engines are the cams - and these you should be able to salvage from the wrecked engine to bring the older motor up to 135PS spec.

Durango2k

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 27, 2009 7:29 am

Hi,

many thanks. The main problem is to find an engine at all hereover in germany. Thus I am searching in england.

So, does anyone have an engine AFTER 2001 for sale :-)?

Carsten

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Sun Dec 27, 2009 9:36 pm

HI THERE I know you are asking for a 135 but a vvc new £1250 is possible from brown gammon this was an old ad but you could ask
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Durango2k

Post by Durango2k » Sun Dec 27, 2009 10:37 pm

Hi,

I think 1250 is out of range, and further, wouldn't I need MUCH more external parts for the VVC ?

Carsten

brgmg
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by brgmg » Thu Dec 31, 2009 5:58 pm

Hi Carsten, I am breaking an early car (97) which was (rear) accident damaged. I bought it for the front end as I race my car and crash it frequently! So I don't need the engine or hood. The engine has had its head gasket done twice so should be ok!! I dont want much for the engine or hood but you'd need to come and remove them. Alternatively, if you have a trailer you could tow the remains of the car away with them intact! The car was an insurance write off so no export difficulties. Nb the car would be without bonnet, headlights, indicators, front bumper, armature, and front wings. Its on 4 rotting alloys but with a couple of good tyres. Interested? Think the earlier engine is basicaly the same as the later - the improved performance was, i thought, solely down to a better throttle body and exhaust system. Marc