Exhaust Manifold or advice to fix it... and support bracket

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
RichardK
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 MGF VVC

Exhaust Manifold or advice to fix it... and support bracket

Post by RichardK » Wed Mar 23, 2011 7:56 pm

Looking for a four-stud exhaust manifold without Lambda sensor, with four studs intact, and reasonable thread for the sensor. If there's a very recent sensor fitted then that'd be of interest, but I suspect I'd break it trying to fit the manifold with sensor attached.

Or, looking for what I need to tell a local garage to get the right helicoil repair done (I'm guessing they'll all be familiar with extracting and replacing studs on manifolds!).

I'm also trying to find the support bracket discussed on Dieter's site - GEX 13002 kit. It wasn't expensive back then, but I'm guessing they're long since out of production? Seems daft to have this lot apart and not sort it.
1996 MGF VVC (HAM) - rescued stray
2011 C3 Airdream+

135 cars since 1992 :/

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: Exhaust Manifold or advice to fix it... and support brac

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Mar 23, 2011 8:53 pm

Support bracket is not absolutely essential.

I have a 4-stud down pipe with the lambda boss. Currently an old spark plug screwed into it. I think that I may have a four stud exhaust manifold too - I'll have a look for you.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:01 pm

Mine seems to be manifold + Lambda boss, four stud, then four stud downpipe & flexi?

How much would you want for the manifold/both? If there's a plug screwed in that sounds promising for good threads!

I know the bracket isn't essential, but I'd like one if I can find one; seems daft to leave it, you know?

I'm going to try a local engineering firm recommended by the garage that sorts it, but depending on their rates it may be cheaper to replace. I understand repair would/should be better, but I also appreciate that skills, tools and rates aren't free. If they can do it I'm going to get the boss retapped/coiled, and then four new studs fitted. Then, back on the car with new sensor and new gaskets...
2011 C3 Airdream+

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 24, 2011 12:26 pm

I'll see whether I can track down a manifold Richard - it may be burried in the garden shed... I'll let you know!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:24 pm

Manifold found. No lambda boss in that one - in this case it is in the down pipe. I think that there must have been two patterns of 4-stud manifold/down pipes! Hadn't realised that before? Will picture them for you.

Also found that alternator cover for the wheel arch.

I might even have a heat shield... let me know. Drop me a PM if there is anything else you'd like. :)

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:05 pm

The Sensor thread is 18mm x 1.5 viz. the old 18mm spark plugs. I have a Helicoil set in my tool box.
Geoff F.

RichardK

Post by RichardK » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:45 am

Rob: Thanks! I think you've got several small bits I need, so I'll have a look and drop you a PM!

Geoff: I think you'd posted that somewhere else, too - there's a local firm supposedly fixing my manifold (new studs, new thread) and I'd given them that spec from both your description and Rob saying that he'd got one with a sparkplug screwed into it!

So it looks like I'm still after that GEX support bracket if I can find one - and removing the wheelnuts with a tool, as the former owner hasn't appeared with a magical removal tool for the locknuts (I figure anyone who wants to steal my car's wheels will have the £10 tool that removes locknuts anyway).
2011 C3 Airdream+

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:18 am

Have a look at the wheel nuts - sometimes there is a letter stamped on them that'll provide you with a clue as to which wheel nut tool to get...

Or, go to a local stealership. They have the "universal" tool, and then get a new set of locking wheel nuts to replace them, complete with correct removal socket!