WANTED: Vernier Pulleys for VVC

Do you have MG parts littering your garage that could find a good home with another MG enthusiast? Post it here and avoid those eBay fees!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
The Classifieds section is for members who have surplus items for sale. It doesn't have to be a whole car, or even car related.

If you are buying a car - as per any private sale - it is 'buyer beware' so be careful before buying.

If you are trading for profit please contact us to arrange an advertising deal and become an Official Trader.
MGFantastica
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: Abingdon VVC

WANTED: Vernier Pulleys for VVC

Post by MGFantastica » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:01 pm

Hello there, probably a remote chance, does anyone have any vernier pulleys laying around they don't want? I have an MGF 1.8 VVC 1998(S) reg. Money waiting........... :)

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: WANTED: Vernier Pulleys for VVC

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 29, 2011 10:15 am

Vernier's on a VVC? Interesting. Are you going for a solid cam conversion?

Unfortunately no spare verniers. They're on the Project Shed. Don't tell anyone - shhh! ;)

MGFantastica

Post by MGFantastica » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:53 pm

Hello Rob, thanks for getting back to me, I feel I owe you for all the good advice you've given me! I'm after setting the CAM timing, I thought I'd need new pulleys, although Dave Andrews says I can use 2 offset dowels instead. I'm getting slowly sucked into the dark side me thinks............he he

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 29, 2011 3:58 pm

Dave's the man - and offset dowels the more affordable option - unless of course you decide you want to play a bit more with the cam timing with hotter exhaust cams etc.

But if you're going down that route, might as well go the whole hog and invest in an Emerald ECU (M3D), and get the engine re-mapped. Then - as you'll probably get bored of 175-180bhp pretty quickly ;), you could consider junking the standard inlet plenum for direct to head throttle bodies (Jenvey's are Dave & Dave's choice). I wonder whether Mike Satur still has his higher-lift VVC cams available? Oops, the Darkside... sorry, yes, it's a slippery slope! :lol:

MGFantastica

Post by MGFantastica » Tue Mar 29, 2011 6:11 pm

So far I've got an uprated Piper exhaust cam from Dave, just waiting for offset dowels then it might be time to buy an Emerald ECU. I'm wondering Rob, if I decide to sell up at some point maybe for a MgTF will I find people interested in my Mgf even though it's been modified or will it put people off?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Mar 29, 2011 7:42 pm

You'd probably put off more than you'd attract to be honest. But there will be those who'd be interested in a track biased MGF with a nicely tuned engine. However, to optimise any sale, I'd actually return the car to standard - or at least put the standard MEMS back on. If not re-using the tuning gear, then these will reach good prices in their own right if sold separately.

bgunn

Post by bgunn » Tue Mar 29, 2011 8:57 pm

Verniers don't exist for the VVC, as said, offset dowels are the way. Dave advised the following to me when I asked for the ideal timing on a VVC with a 1326 exhaust cam:

"If you are running the stock VVC mechs and 1326 profile, then lift at TDC should be around 2 thou for the inlet (fully retracted) and 50-55 thou on the exhaust."