OBD Socket (and details of MGF technical day - June 15th)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
pscan.eu
MGF Register Region: South East

Re: OBD Socket (and details of MGF technical day - June 15th

Post by pscan.eu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:14 am

talkingcars wrote:Couple of thoughts - does Phillip want to borrow an ECU from a 1.1 Rover 100?
Yes I would like to borrow the Rover 100 ECU. I think that it will be MEMS1.6 SPI which I haven't done yet.
talkingcars wrote:would it be possible to either have a bluetooth output or have a bluetooth adaptor?
It would be easier for me to make a wifi adapter from a Raspberry Pi. The Pi would connect to the car using the pscan.eu adapter and would also be a web server. You would then attach your phone or tablet to the Pi wifi hotspot and use the phone/tablet's web browser to connect to the Pi.

the downside is that you have another (small) box in the chain.

the upside is that I don't have to do a hardware redesign, and that it would work with any device that has a web browser and so I don't have to get into mobile app design (Microsoft, Android and IOS are all totally different).
Last edited by pscan.eu on Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:11 am, edited 1 time in total.

jaydoginvasion
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by jaydoginvasion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:08 am

As an added bonus you could use a Pi as a media server.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:11 am

or connect your diagnostic interface to the Internet and allow other people to diagnose your car for you....

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Fri Jun 13, 2014 10:31 am

I think I would be tempted to put a small touch screen monitor into the passenger air bag blank or try a double din conversion.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:41 am

Using the Pi or a "Carputer" is certainly an interesting option! :)

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Jun 13, 2014 7:17 pm

pscan.eu wrote:or connect your diagnostic interface to the Internet and allow other people to diagnose your car for you....
GCHQ are about to open a new department for this :mrgreen:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jun 13, 2014 9:09 pm

Somebody on one of the ZS forums is building new centre consoles which take a small tablet, these have Bluetooth which links to a Bluetooth sender attached to the OBD2 socket. The initial question about linking Philips system came about because someone wants to fit the console to a 620 which is pre OBD2.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Fri Jun 13, 2014 11:10 pm

If it is an Android tablet you can run an X server on it and export the diagnostic program from a carputer (possibly a Pi) running Linux onto the Tablet screen using the X protocol. You need a network connection between the two but a wifi dongle in the Pi could do that.

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 2:24 pm

I tried this out on the Raspberry Pi this morning. It seems to work perfectly.

jaydoginvasion

Post by jaydoginvasion » Sat Jun 14, 2014 5:34 pm

I think I may have talked myself into a new project.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:54 pm

Are you bringing the Pi with you tomorrow Philip? :)

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 10:57 pm

I guess I'll have to now......

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:44 pm

I think I have a demo that I could with the Pi in a car park. No pressure or anything...

It works well with the pi exporting its screen to my laptop, and it is just about usable on my phone. I'll have to see if my wife will lend me her new tablet...

pscan.eu

Post by pscan.eu » Sat Jun 14, 2014 11:59 pm

tablet secured
If anyone has an ipad and wants to bring it tomorrow, you will need iX11 (or something similar) installed on it

fatbaldingoldgit
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:49 am

pscan.eu wrote:If anyone has an ipad and wants to bring it tomorrow, you will need iX11 (or something similar) installed on it
Well, I've installed iX11 on my iPad..haven't a clue how it works but I'll bring it along anyway...
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

fatbaldingoldgit
Model of Car: MG TF LE500 #493

Post by fatbaldingoldgit » Sun Jun 15, 2014 1:58 pm

What a great piece of kit!...successfully logged onto my engine ECU, ABS ECU and Airbag ECU....found a few engine fault codes and deleted them..all on a 2009 Chinese TF.

Then logged onto the engine ECU of my 2004 Freelander 1 and deleted a fault code..

Seeing as how this can read old non OBCD 2 compliant and OBCD 2 compliant ECUs it's going to be a godsend for vehicle maintenance....avoiding main dealers..

Well done Philip.. :D :D :D
image.jpg
"You can’t be a real country unless you have a beer and an airline – it helps if you have some kind of football team, or some nuclear weapons but at the very least you need a beer"
- Frank Zappa

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Sun Jun 15, 2014 6:49 pm

I found this morning really interesting! Obviously, I have seen this before because I've been "helping" Philip by donating my cars so he can check the interface protocols, but nonetheless, the fact that the interface worked on everything that we threw in his direction was impressive: S1 and S2 Elise, Freelander Td4 and 1.8 K-series, MGF and TF (including Chinese versions) ... it all worked! :D

At the end of the day we had a little play - and thanks to my daughter's help we now have a Youtube video demonstrating how the diagnostic tool might be used remotely showing data from the diagnostic tool on an Android tablet PC...

Philip was talking about releasing the API so anyone with the skills to write programmes/ apps can use the data derived from the interface.

My wish list includes data logging - so you can drive the car, with the device recording the live sensor data and any error codes generated, to determine exactly when and how any errors might be created...

... and the other wish list is a way of being able transfer the data from the OBD socket onto a track day app like Harry's Laptimer. I suspect that this may require some kind of blue-tooth interface, but adding MEMS data to a track day app would be brilliant! :thumbsu:

I think that Philip needs another 18 "investors" for his device in the next 10 days in order to get the first production run going... so fingers crossed!

andywatson
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGF 1.9 Scholar

Post by andywatson » Sun Jun 15, 2014 7:39 pm

Rob Bell wrote: I think that Philip needs another 18 "investors" for his device in the next 10 days in order to get the first production run going... so fingers crossed!
17 now.

radiomarty
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1996 1.8vvc

Post by radiomarty » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:21 pm

Really intresting stuff chaps - I don't pretend to understand half of it but im pretty sure running two pre OBD2 mgfs I need to seriously raise the cash for one of these :-)

ColinP
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160 Solar Red

Post by ColinP » Sun Jun 15, 2014 8:56 pm

After what I saw today I was "in" no question!
So that's 16 needed, hope the second demo of the day went well for the Rover boys to buy in too.....

I was really surprised there were 6 faults logged already when the android/torque app failed to show a single one!
This was of course confirmed as accurate by Rob's T300.

I'll put the screenshots up later, when I have PC access.
Hopefully enough people will appreciate the potential of this kit to make it a viable project for Philip.

Radiomarty, you don't need to save up as such, just pledge against the kickstarter project, if the project goes ahead then your card gets charged and you get your package when it's ready 8-)
I used a credit card so that's a minimum of 30 days to save.