Ticking noise (not the usual)

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Broon
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Ticking noise (not the usual)

Post by Broon » Thu Nov 01, 2007 12:07 pm

Recently I have developed a very loud ticking noise on startup. Very embarrassing

Tappets? Pehaps.?

Possibly,but here is the strange thing. Ok, so it is worst on startup, its very loud, and it goes away in a few minutes

BUT

It is only when under load, not on idle. Is that normal. I though tappety sounds were on idle too. After revving it for a bit it goes away.

If I go into a shop for 5 minutes, the oil temp is still hot, but again when starting, the ticking noise is there again, even though the oil is warm and should be coating evrything properly. I also have Magnatec , which I thought would prevent this?

Oil was changed only a few months ago, and is at normal levels according to dipstick

ALSO when I listen in the engine bay, with cover off, it actually sounds like it is coming more from the injector area rather than the block, though this might be an illusion.

Any suggestions welcome.
My MGF website = http://www.iain-brown.com

Broon

Re: Ticking noise (not the usual)

Post by Broon » Mon Nov 12, 2007 3:51 pm

As there were no suggestions, here is the cure, for further reference :P

It was a leaking exhaust manifold gasket. One of the bolts was not torqued correctly. After rectifying this, the noise has completely gone. Its funny hearing my engine quiet again.

No more ticking, no more lumpy run for 30secs after startup.

All sorted.

Worth bearing in mind as it seems to be a common complaint and is not always associted with tappets

Hope this helps someone in the future

:thumbsu:

stevebrg
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: 1998 MGF

Post by stevebrg » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:19 pm

Broon,

Fou're a frikkin genius. Gasket tightened, clicking stopped. We are not worthy, it's been driving me mental for 18 months now!!!!!!!! :thumbsu:

Broon

Post by Broon » Mon Nov 12, 2007 5:21 pm

stevebrg wrote:Broon,

Fou're a frikkin genius. Gasket tightened, clicking stopped. We are not worthy, it's been driving me mental for 18 months now!!!!!!!! :thumbsu:
What, you mean you just fixed yours?

stevebrg

Post by stevebrg » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:29 pm

Cooooooorrrect :D

Now all i need to do is fit some round wheels, a new exhaust trim, stop the leaking air vents, realign the hood, fix the seatbelt, sort the carpet, find a spare wheel fixing bolt, fit the front mudflaps after the last ones got ripped off on my friends driveway, realign the windows properly and fit a new fog light bulb.

Couple hours work tops then..........

Broon

Post by Broon » Wed Nov 14, 2007 2:43 pm

stevebrg wrote:Cooooooorrrect :D

Now all i need to do is fit some round wheels, a new exhaust trim, stop the leaking air vents, realign the hood, fix the seatbelt, sort the carpet, find a spare wheel fixing bolt, fit the front mudflaps after the last ones got ripped off on my friends driveway, realign the windows properly and fit a new fog light bulb.

Couple hours work tops then..........
You have square wheels? :?

My ticking is coming back a little bit, but then i not only had a bolt incorrectly torques, but also discovered I ahve one missing. So hopefully when I replace the missing one, it will keep it at bay.

Sounds like a standard day of F ownership above :lol:

stevebrg

Post by stevebrg » Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:57 pm

My gasket had gone on the inlet manifold and was pretty useless on inspection. I slapped in some gasket paste and retightened it. Fiddly job but seems to have worked, figured I'd do that before pulling the lot off and fitting a fresh gasket.

No my wheels arent square, they're just disproportionate circles :(

You ever tried finding a straight set of Cup alloys? All the ones I've found have come from broken cars and at least two haven't been remotely round. I'm pretty sure I could find the golden fleece before I find a good set!