MGF mk1 to mk2 Centre console conversion.

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Seb
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1.8 VVC 1997

MGF mk1 to mk2 Centre console conversion.

Post by Seb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 9:41 am

Wondered if anyone can help?

Last night I changed the centre console on my 1997 VVC for the Mk2 version, however I have experienced a few problems with the Fog light switches (front and back). From a glance it looks like the wire harness' should plug straight into the new mk2 switches, however they dont?

What do i need to do to make these fit???

Cheers
Seb

Scarlet Fever
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Re: MGF mk1 to mk2 Centre console conversion.

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Sep 18, 2008 1:45 pm

That's odd - I'm pretty sure mine just plugged straight in.
Andrew Phillips

Seb

Post by Seb » Thu Sep 18, 2008 3:24 pm

Thanks for your reply!

hmmmm strange....... The connectors do look like a straight fit but when putting them together they are extremely tight? Were they when you changed yours?

Scarlet Fever

Post by Scarlet Fever » Fri Sep 19, 2008 10:46 am

Not that i remember, they were a straight 'plug and play' job.

My F is an early Mark 1 and the switches were new at the time of conversion (2003) so i can't see how there could be a change in multiplugs - it would mean they changed them in the interim period and then changed them back.

The only issue i had with the multiplugs is the location in the fascia, the MY2K switches have a 'key' on the top of them to locate in a specific slot in the fascia, i trimmed the key off with a craft knife so that i could put them where i wanted them. Other than that it was really straightforward.

The multiplugs to the clock and oil temperature gauge changed when they went to silver dial faces from cream (Mark 1 to MY2K) but this is the only issue loom i am aware of. Not a problem for me as i vastly prefer the cream dial faces anyway so i retained my original instruments, but will be an issue if you want to switch to the silver faced ones.
Andrew Phillips

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Sep 19, 2008 12:47 pm

There was an electrical re-design at the end of 2003/beginning 2004 - but I don't know whether this affected the loom plugs for the switches?? Otherwise, as Andy says, it should all be 'plug and play' (other than the electric window switches - but you retain your originals in any case).

Seb

Post by Seb » Fri Sep 19, 2008 4:20 pm

Scarlet Fever wrote:Not that i remember, they were a straight 'plug and play' job.

My F is an early Mark 1 and the switches were new at the time of conversion (2003) so i can't see how there could be a change in multiplugs - it would mean they changed them in the interim period and then changed them back.

The only issue i had with the multiplugs is the location in the fascia, the MY2K switches have a 'key' on the top of them to locate in a specific slot in the fascia, i trimmed the key off with a craft knife so that i could put them where i wanted them. Other than that it was really straightforward.

The multiplugs to the clock and oil temperature gauge changed when they went to silver dial faces from cream (Mark 1 to MY2K) but this is the only issue loom i am aware of. Not a problem for me as i vastly prefer the cream dial faces anyway so i retained my original instruments, but will be an issue if you want to switch to the silver faced ones.
The spaces for the switches on the MY2K console have spaces for the keys but they are the wrong way round for the two light harness' so i have also taken them off the switch.

That is strange about the clock and oil temp as I removed the cream ones and replaced with the silver ones and the multiplugs fitted straight in?

I am beginning to think i have an F with a combination of the mk1 and MY2k wiring looms?

Seb

Post by Seb » Tue Sep 23, 2008 2:42 pm

Ok good news, I have narrowed my fault down to the front fog light relay. Apparently depending on the year of the wiring loom and the year of the switch, depends on the type of relay you need?
:thumbsu:
My next question to save me a bit of time ......... which of the three relays in the fuse box would be used for the front fogs? Top, Middle or Bottom?

Many thanks
Seb

Scarlet Fever

Post by Scarlet Fever » Tue Sep 23, 2008 4:22 pm

Hmmm, could explain things - i don't have front fogs. No idea which o fthe relays it is either i'm afraid - anyone?
Andrew Phillips