Boot latch springing open

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
C-J
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: 1998 Abingdon vv

Boot latch springing open

Post by C-J » Thu Jun 15, 2017 9:08 pm

Hi all,
Has anyone had issues with the boot latch not engaging properly and springing open?

Not looked at fully yet so not sure if something is worn or broken? Or someting gone out of alignment or trapped? Or the striker plate worn? It's now deteriorated to the point that any bump or a slight tug upwards and the boot pops open.

Any thoughts welcomed.

Thanks
Chris

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Re: Boot latch springing open

Post by Bazzajay » Thu Jun 15, 2017 11:50 pm

I know it may sound obvious, but I presume you have been lubricating the latch regularly. Oil or a dab of real grease work much better than spray grease.

You can also test the action of the mechanism by using a screwdriver shaft to emulate the striker to see if the latch is working properly.

Another possibility is that the striker may be loose and need adjusting.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

C-J

Post by C-J » Fri Jun 16, 2017 9:17 am

Cheers.

All good points. Since it started a few years ago I've kept well greased.

Everything seems to move or be firmly fixed as appropriate. Yes, the screwdriver test latches firmly and unlatches fine, as does removing and manually presenting the striker plate up to the latch.

Resetting the striker plate in different positions still doesn't get it to engage though. I'm clearly missing something with the alignment - but until yesterday I'd never moved anything. Most odd. The thing just doesn't seem to get to the latch position when in situ. And using blobs of grease it all seems aligned about right.

Next is to try a video in the boot to confirm alignments.

Chris
Ps. Apologies for posting in the tech section - not the world's most technical question I know. Just frustrating.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Fri Jun 16, 2017 11:10 am

On each side of the boot lid there is a rubber stop that can be screwed in or out to adjust how high the boot lid sits.
If not already tried, I would screw the stops in a bit further to lower the boot lid and see if the catch will then latch properly.

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Fri Jun 16, 2017 1:44 pm

Sounds like an alignment issue similar to one I had last year.

Half hour with the guy in the local body shop - who judged it all by eye and the feel with his hands and it's been fine ever since. No charge - only a couple of beers :)
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

C-J

Post by C-J » Fri Jun 16, 2017 3:32 pm

Steve
Thanks - I'll try the stops.

Mike
Glad to hear that someone else has had that issue - and resolved it. Thanks for sharing.
And if you want to pop round anytime this weekend and resolve I'll chuck in 3 beers!

C-J

Post by C-J » Sat Jun 17, 2017 9:04 pm

Just about solved it. In case anyone else has this issue...

Seems the spring in the latch doesn't quite hold on the cam step until it's a few degrees past it. Hence rotating with a screwdriver by say 92 degrees activates it fine, but normal use to circa 89 degrees doesn't.

A bit of elastic tied around the lever to encourage it to stay open enough to get past 90 degrees. Next step to remove latch to clean more thoroughly. Or found a NOS one for £20 so may just replace to save hassle in future.

Interestingly before I solved it, with striker in highest position, and 2 rubber stops completely removed it still didn't catch. And once resolved (temporarily with the elastic) then the rubber stops could be set at any height, and the striker plate anywhere - alignment not really an issue. Quite amazed at how just a little bit of assistance to the lever takes it from working 0% of the time to 100% of today's tests. Visually (when sat in the boot) the positions and amount of travel look pretty identical - which is why it took me a few hours to work out. That, and I'm a bit thick!

Bazzajay
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Wedgwood SE 1800i

Post by Bazzajay » Sat Jun 17, 2017 11:22 pm

Well done for resolving the issue, perseverance pays dividends again. It would probably have taken me just as long as I can certainly relate to the last statement.
Barrie

2000 MGF Wedgwood SE 1800i
2002 Peugeot Partner Quiksilver

C-J

Post by C-J » Mon Jun 19, 2017 5:18 pm

cheers Barrie.

did a 50 mile round trip today with no issues - last week it sprang open 3 times in the first 3 miles before i resorted to tieing a full 5L coolant bottle from the inside of the lock to weight it down. Having such a heavy weight to hand being one of the few bonuses of having cars prone to HGF!