ABS light on... and then off...

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

ABS light on... and then off...

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jun 20, 2022 12:54 pm

Driving to the Brooklands Sprint on Saturday and I noticed that the ABS light remained on. Unusual, because the Bosch ABS 5.0 is usually bullet proof and rarely causes a problem. I re-started the car and the ABS light remained on for the remainder of the drive to Brooklands.

More oddly, the light extinguished itself during the competition and has not reappeared since. :?

I attached up the pscan and read the ABS ECU. A right-rear wheel sensor fault. I errased the code, and it did not return.

I drove the car in the live data mode, and all four wheel sensors returned realistic and comparable numbers.

An intermittent fault then.

Anyone else had the same?

I am going to see whether the fault returns - it could be either sensor-related or a problem with the reluctor ring on the drive shaft/stub axle, but would be interested to hear if anyone has encountered anything similar on an MGF? (I have had similar issues on a Freelander, but for some reason, that system is particularly sensitive to faulty sensors and corroded/ broken reluctor rings!)

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: ABS light on... and then off...

Post by RobboMC » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:14 am

I have had an intermittent ABS light come on and off a few times, and interestingly I've done a track day last month.

I expect however my light is due to the connection under the seat getting dislodged by my back side
rumbling around in the seat while on the track. :lol: :lol: :lol:

I'm off to the track this weekend so I'll see if it happens again,
though this one is more of a driver training center with concrete walls
so I'll not be driving with as much effort.

I don't have a pscan to find out the source of my light; probably should get one next.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:47 pm

I'd definitely recommend one! So useful in circumstances like this.

If your seat is bringing a light on, it is probably the SRS rather than ABS? :)

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Jun 24, 2022 10:57 pm

RobboMC wrote:
Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:14 am
.....I expect however my light is due to the connection under the seat getting dislodged by my back side
rumbling around in the seat while on the track. :lol: :lol: :lol: .....
But that would cause the SRS light, not the ABS light???
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:30 am

Rob Bell wrote:
Thu Jun 23, 2022 4:47 pm

If your seat is bringing a light on, it is probably the SRS rather than ABS? :)
Ahhh yes, it's the red light so SRS.
It happened again this weekend, how can the SRS system know it's at a race track!!!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:03 am

My ABS error has returned, and this time, it isn't going away. Oddly, it was triggered by dropping a wheel into pot hole on the way to Prescott. Which was unfortunate, as I got speared into the armco when front wheel lock on an adverse camber. Only a mild dent in the front wing, so no disasater, but I needed to recalibrate my braking strategy as the havens opened and the track was soaking wet the whole day!

Got home. No signal from the right rear wheel sensor. I now need a bit of time to work out what when wrong and replace the sensor (assuming the sensor rather than the trigger wheel - and I think the intermittent initial presentation of the fault favours an electronic rather than a mechanical problem).

More soon!

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 11, 2022 9:39 am

I attempted to remove a spare ABS sensor from a scrap hub and also the the ABS from the car - all to no avail. Despite swimming in penetrating oil, shocking with a hammer, applying heat (by adding weld to the screw head), nothing will budge either the screw holding the sensor from the scrap hub or from the car.

Epic fail.

Failure mode? Well, as it turns out, this is the sensor I had previously replaced myself after some rodent chewed its way through (read here: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/project_shed/part6.htm) - but the reason why it failed was because the mechanic who changed the flywheel, clutch and gearbox for me, incorrectly routed the ABS sensor cable over the top of the upper suspension arm, so that the cable itself was being crushed between the arm and the bump stop on full compression (hence its sudden demise after fitting a pot hole on the way to Prescott).

Really: next time, I'll do this work myself... and then at least I'll only have myself to blame!!! :roll: