brake discs

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Re: brake pads on the track

Post by RobboMC » Wed Jun 22, 2022 4:51 am

The only old thread I could find about brakes and track days:

My first proper track day last month and I came home with a very noisy front end.
I have standard front discs that were replaced a few years back and have about 20,000 road miles on them.
I am using Redstuff Ceramic Brake Pads front and rear. The car has ABS.

The noise was a mild scraping sound was definitely coming from the turning brake rotor ( or perhaps I feared the wheel bearing )
I removed and wiped the pads and now after a few hundred miles the noise has gone. Also worth noting I only live 6 miles from that track
so no time for any debris to clear on the way home.

I am assuming the track day has created some high temperature debris on the ceramic pad that created the noise.
Has anyone else found this with the red stuff pads?

I was using the brakes damn hard, completing over 35 timed laps as well as 5-6 out laps and in laps, with 3 big brake stops
in each of the 1 min 15 sec laps. By the end of the day the rims were covered in brake dust, and both the car and driver
were happy to be going home. :P :D

I must say that even after a day of pounding the red stuff pads still felt great, and yes I do have a booster bracket fitted.
My Xmas project will be rear rotors, are there any bolt on upgrades??

EllsoJo
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF135 (2002)

Re: brake discs

Post by EllsoJo » Wed Jun 22, 2022 7:54 am

Just a tip from my experience of changing front discs: Geoff said:
I did have to take the hydraulic ram from my 10 Ton Press ,machine an adaptor to react against the hub rather than the stubshaft thru the bearing and make a puller from 20mm square steel bar and 10mm HT threaded bar to remove the discs. Do not use a lump hammer as for any force there is an equal and opposite force thru the bearing to make next weeks job.

When I changed my front discs, I bought and used a puller:
Puller on New DiscDSCF2124.jpg
but this was not "man enough" to shift the disc initially (I took a picture AFTER all my struggle and eventual success, by putting the puller in-place on the new disc, so that I had a record)

The Key to success was lighting and placing 2 blowlamps, either side (Left and right) of the old disc. This rapidly warmed the old disc until it expanded off the hub. There was a sudden "POP", blowlamps off and the disc moved the rest of the way off the hub easily with the help of the puller.

Removing the plastic wheel-arch liner is (obviously) wise before blowlamp ignition, and I would not use this technique on the rear N/S, given the proximity of the fuel tank. I had a CO2 extinguisher to hand as well! Using only 1 blowlamp below would be a good way of melting and igniting all the grease in the hub, so again, not a good idea! :o

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:45 pm

I have no experience with RedStuff pads - but I currently use YellowStuff, which seems to work well, with no protests from the brakes.

RedStuff is a fast road pad and I don't think really intended for track use - so perhaps yes, that may the cause? If you're planning on more track action, then perhaps YellowStuff next time?

Regarding changing discs, I haven't had the problem of discs being stuck on the hub for a very long time. I leave a smear of copper grease on the hub to stop corrosion leading to the disc rotor "sticking" to the hub, which seems to work nicely.

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Mon Jun 27, 2022 3:25 am

In our car club Supersprint format we only do 10 minute runs,
and the circuits are pretty short and twisty,
so the speeds are low compared to some tracks;

the red stuff seem to be standing up to the punishment so far.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jul 02, 2022 12:58 am

Rob Bell wrote:
Fri Jun 24, 2022 1:45 pm
I have no experience with RedStuff pads - but I currently use YellowStuff, which seems to work well, with no protests from the brakes.......
I like the yellow stuff pads, the best balance between usable on the road and a bit of "givin' it some".
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 04, 2022 10:15 am

You may find Yellow Stuff pads work better for the use you are putting your F to - but it doesn't sound like you need to swap over until you need fresh pads :)