MG Magic Drls..any good? Do they still exist??

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

MG Magic Drls..any good? Do they still exist??

Post by c13amb » Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:01 pm

Hi all
Just wondered if anyone has or had any experience with this company and their DRL Halo headlights?
My headlights are looking a bit "old" now and was looking for some refurbed items and came across these. They look good imo but wanted some genuine feedback to help me make any sort out decision!
Cheers all.. :thumbsu:

http://www.mgmagic.co.uk/daytime_running_lights.html

I've tried messaging them a few times over the last couple of days with no success!! Does anyone know if they are still trading??
Last edited by c13amb on Fri Sep 16, 2022 5:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Re: MG Magic Drls..any good?

Post by MrNatural » Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:13 pm

c13amb wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:01 pm
Hi all
Just wondered if anyone has or had any experience with this company and their DRL Halo headlights?
My headlights are looking a bit "old" now and was looking for some refurbed items and came across these. They look good imo but wanted some genuine feedback to help me make any sort out decision!

I had some on my MGTF several years ago (which a close friend owns now) and they are still going strong :thumbsu:

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Thu Jul 28, 2022 6:06 pm

MrNatural wrote:
Thu Jul 28, 2022 4:13 pm
c13amb wrote:
Mon Jul 25, 2022 1:01 pm
Hi all

I had some on my MGTF several years ago (which a close friend owns now) and they are still going strong :thumbsu:
Thanks for your comments..sounds like a decent product if still going years later..the only worrying factor seems that you are the only one to have had any unless there's more of you out there? :D
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

MrNatural
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF Trophy 160 x 2

Post by MrNatural » Sat Jul 30, 2022 4:57 pm

It was a bit of a trend a few years ago, but other modifications have taken over. I really like them and think they look great on the TF!

mgb281
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by mgb281 » Tue Aug 02, 2022 9:56 pm

If you Google “MGTF Halo Lights” you will find a step by step instruction on how to do your own. Although I haven’t fitted mine yet it seems quite straight forward. You also have the option of having White/Orange halos and have them operate as indicators as well. The dimming fiction was included in mine and you no longer need to solder onto the halo light. I hadn’t thought of a time delay relay to give the courtesy lights which are a nice addition. I think mine cost less than thirty pounds for four off evilbay

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 07, 2022 7:39 pm

I did try making some for my MGF but it is currently in the pile marked "projects to finish".
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

mgb281

Re: MG Magic Drls..any good? Do they still exist??

Post by mgb281 » Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:04 pm

We took the headlights apart last week, exactly as you read on various forums. We heated for seven minutes at 130c and using a matchstick size Philips screwdriver was able to loosen the top side. Another seven minutes heating transformed the job, the screwdriver went along the channels easily and the top of the lens started to lift out. Gently pulling the two parts apart soon finished the job. Off came the bezels and they were glued back in again. The idea was to use a heat resistant clear mastic to “glue” the halo lights on which did not work 😳I got some 0.6 stainless MIG wire to wire them on as most others have done but my cordless drill won’t grip a 1mm drill bit, back on eBay again. I will report back, hopefully later this week.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:01 pm

mgb281 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:04 pm
....but my cordless drill won’t grip a 1mm drill bit.....
I wrap tape around the end of smallest drill bits.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:06 pm

Eventually received the micro drill bit chuck and drilled two holes on each chrome ring at 10 and 2 o'clock positions, this is much more easily done from the back rather than the front. A piece of stainless wire looped around the ring and twisted to get them tight was simple work, at the bottom I used heat resistant mastic to both insulate the terminals and to fix the Halo in position. Fixing the lenses back on took less than ten minutes per headlight, if I had everything at hand ie high temperature mastic, stainless steel wire, 1mm drill bit and a micro chuck to hold the drill bit the whole job could be done in just one evening, total cost apart from the Halo's is about £22 including the electronics to give auto on, auto dim when headlights come on to comply with regulations and the 15 second courtesy light feature. They certainly work well, though since the TF is still engineless it was only tested in the shed, definitely worth £50 worth £275? not so sure but then I have always been tight with money :lol:

mgb281

Post by mgb281 » Sun Oct 23, 2022 8:12 pm

talkingcars wrote:
Fri Oct 14, 2022 9:01 pm
mgb281 wrote:
Mon Oct 10, 2022 8:04 pm
....but my cordless drill won’t grip a 1mm drill bit.....
I wrap tape around the end of smallest drill bits.
I didn't think of that :thumbsu: , the delivery of the micro chuck was very slow, not sure if it was just very slow delivery or slow dispatching or both. :rant: