mgf remote boot release?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

mgf remote boot release?

Post by redbeard57 » Thu Nov 15, 2007 2:32 pm

has anybody fitted one of these remote boot release kits to an F? if so, can you help me with some photos of how the solenoid has been fixed to the boot lid, and advise if the key for the manual lock can still be connected.....
many thanks :)

Mark L
MGF Register Region: North West

Re: mgf remote boot release?

Post by Mark L » Thu Nov 15, 2007 11:45 pm

redbeard57 wrote:has anybody fitted one of these remote boot release kits to an F? if so, can you help me with some photos of how the solenoid has been fixed to the boot lid, and advise if the key for the manual lock can still be connected.....
There are several 'How To's' Simon....... heres one. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/mgt ... mgboot.htm

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Nov 16, 2007 10:35 am

Simon, I understand that these electric release solenoids are terribly unreliable, I don't know, it's just what I have heard from many sources including Brown & Gammons.

If you read FasTForward 6 pages 10 & 11 it will give you the Scarlet Fever easy and cheap version as fitted to my car (in the pub car park one night at the Essex Roadsters meet).
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Sat Nov 17, 2007 7:23 pm

Mark L wrote:
redbeard57 wrote:has anybody fitted one of these remote boot release kits to an F? if so, can you help me with some photos of how the solenoid has been fixed to the boot lid, and advise if the key for the manual lock can still be connected.....
There are several 'How To's' Simon....... heres one. http://mysite.wanadoo-members.co.uk/mgt ... mgboot.htm
That's a very nice solution there Mark - very neat, and I like the remote control. Shame it requires a second fob, but for owners of late model TFs, there may be an alternative solution, using an un-used button on the fob (which is used on contemporary ZRs and ZSs)

Regarding solenoids and their reliability, I can't comment, I have no direct experience - but I am sure that there is a reason why car manufacturers use motors rather than a solenoid. I've got a Metro boot release motor in my 'project cupboard' awaiting a suitable time for fitting... ;)

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:24 pm

Adrian,
I couldn't find the article you mention in FTF 6, pages 10/11 seem to be about Richard Hammond etc, have I missed something somewhere?
Mike

Scarlet Fever
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Post by Scarlet Fever » Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:15 pm

It depends what you want the boot release for. If it is for convenience, then the electric one is (with the above provisos regarding solenoids) a good solution. However, it should be noted that it will be useless if you lock your keys in the boot. For security reasons they are wired via the ignition (don't want a n'er-do-well slashing your roof, reaching in, popping the boot and then emptying the contents when the car is parked up). This means though that it will be inoperative should you need to retrieve your keys from the boot.

In my case, having to use the key each time isn't really an issue, my main concern was accidentally locking my keys in there - i've come close to it so many times over the years and i'd rather not have to break in. I know a few ways to do so, but they are all either a right pain, or cause damage to the car. So, i decided prevention was better than cure, here's what i did, and subsequently copied on Adrian's F (the subject of the FasTForward article mentioned above)

Pop to Halfrauds and buy a £6.00 push bike rear brake cable (you want the longest one possible)
Feed the metal lug end of the cable through the void between the pressed metal panels of the boot lid construction (starting from the rubber grommet filled port near the hinge) and then through the apperture in the side of the lock box. Attach the metal tag on the end of the cable to the chromed release lever (secure with a zip tie). Make a hole in the rubber grommet and feed it onto the cable, push it into place.

Zip tie the cable to the underside of the boot lid hinge, ensuring it has enough slack to allow the boot to close.

From here it is up to you, but the idea is that you feed the cable into the cabin and hide the end somewhere only you know about, there are a couple of grommets in the parcel shelf you can use and plenty of trim in the cabin to conceal the end.

Should you lock your keys in the boot, all you need do is find the end of the cable and pull. Cheap and very effective. :)
Andrew Phillips

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Wed Nov 21, 2007 5:06 pm

Scarlet Fever wrote:Should you lock your keys in the boot, all you need do is find the end of the cable and pull. Cheap and very effective. :)
That is provided the car is not locked. I keep a key hidden under the car so that if I lock my keys in the boot I can retrieve the key (getting a dirty arm) and open the boot for my "proper" set of keys. If I lose these I can always get home with the spare key after entering the code into my door lock.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:31 am

Fletch29 wrote:Adrian,
I couldn't find the article you mention in FTF 6, pages 10/11 seem to be about Richard Hammond etc, have I missed something somewhere?
Mike
Mike, FTF is our own MGF Register magazine FasTForward, are you looking at the same magazine ?

Available from us on subscription, contact Tim on scribe@mgfregister.org for details.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Fletch29
MGF Register Region: North Wales

Post by Fletch29 » Thu Nov 22, 2007 9:23 pm

Thanks for the reply Adrian, Yes I do have FTF on subscription but my FTF6 (Summer 2007) has the Hamsters trip with Jamelia on page 10. Perhaps we get a different edition in wild Wales!! Mike

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Nov 23, 2007 1:18 pm

Fletch29 wrote:Thanks for the reply Adrian, Yes I do have FTF on subscription but my FTF6 (Summer 2007) has the Hamsters trip with Jamelia on page 10. Perhaps we get a different edition in wild Wales!! Mike
That's funny so does mine :lol: :lol: :lol: My apologies it was FTF4 pages 10/11 Winter 2006 issue.

Creeps back in shame :oops:

Scarlet Fever

Post by Scarlet Fever » Sat Nov 24, 2007 1:00 pm

David Clelland wrote:That is provided the car is not locked.
Depends where you hide the cable end. Originally my one was behind the carpet on the parcel shelf, accessible through the velcro of the rear screen even when the car is locked. Nowadays it is sited elsewhere, mainly because i have a glass screen hood, but also because i demonstrated it too often and felt that there were a lot of people out there who knew where it was.

Cable end can be sited anywhere, doesn't have to be in the cabin - it's just easier to do it this way.
Andrew Phillips

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Nov 26, 2007 1:39 pm

If I recall correctly, the Rover 800 had a key-lockable lever for the boot and fuel cap release. The key barrel is of the same type used on the MGF, so presumably it is possible to get a suitable lock for it that is the same as the one on your MG. This would be a lovely neat solution - but no idea what you'd do with the integrated fuel fillter flap lever though???

Thanks to this thread, I have become a victim of fleabay, and am the proud owner of a Saab boot release button...

I rather like the button's logo - looks a *little* like an MGF (okay, if you've drunk too much and squinting ;) :lol: ) - but it's rather nice.

It's now sitting on my desk, along with the Metro boot release central locking motor waiting for the time when I get around to working out how to install all this kit... :D

Scarlet Fever

Post by Scarlet Fever » Wed Nov 28, 2007 1:42 pm

On the subject of logos, have you noticed the VW Golf on the sticker on the indide of the hood frame? Kinda annoying... grumble grumble grumble! ;)
Andrew Phillips

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Nov 30, 2007 10:04 pm

You think it's a Golf Cabri Andy? Hmm, maybe - but I always thought it was a R8 R200 cabby...

Any Longbridge types able to tell us the true identity of the convertible that is not an F on the soft-top frame? :)