Squeaky Suspension Cured

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Dingbat
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Squeaky Suspension Cured

Post by Dingbat » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:09 am

Hi, guys. I'm looking for some guidance.

I've got a 2002 MGTF 160 Sprint, and have just had it fitted with the VHS/Bilstein comfort shock absorbers. I'm very pleased with the difference it's made to the way the car soaks up bumps in the road.

The problem I've got is that the rear suspension now squeaks every time I go over any significant bump.

Any ideas on how to cure squeaking suspension would be very welcome. I know that the MGF had grease nipples on the suspension. Does this apply to the TF as well?

Any thoughts and suggestions - before I get my overalls on and the jack out - would be very welcome.

Thanks in advance

Brian

Title of this post edited as I seem to have solved the problem.

Working on the basis that the bottom suspension and anti roll bar bushes would have been disturbed as the rear shocks were removed, I took both back wheels off and liberally sprayed all the bushes with silicon lubricant. It didn't give an immediate result, but after 24 hours and 70 miles, the squeak has totally vanished.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Brian
Last edited by Dingbat on Tue Jul 26, 2011 6:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Brian Dingsdale
TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

artful.codger
    MGF Register Region: North West
    Model of Car: MGZR 105+ + 04 TF135

Re: Squeaky Suspension

Post by artful.codger » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:36 am

Just done the front suspension on mine as it was squeaking over every bump, I didn't think the rear suspension had any grease nipples, but I could be wrong.
    --
    Regards,
    Rick.
    1996 F 1.8 MPi & 2004 TF 135

adrianclifford
    MGF Register Region: Essex
    Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:42 am

Grease nipples are on all four corners of the F but fronts only on the TF, why it should start squeeking now is a mystery. My Bilsteins have been on for over a year now, never a squeek yet.
    Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Mike H
    MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
    Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Mon Jul 25, 2011 11:49 am

FWIW - mine (standard TF) tends to develop a squeak when it's been dry for a while, but a drop of rain always sorts it out.

You could try hosing it down ;)
    Audi TTS owner
    Former MGTF 135 owner
    Former TF 160 Sprint owner
    Former ZS180 owner
    Former MGF owner

Dingbat
    MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
    Model of Car: MGTF 160 Sprint

Re: Squeaky Suspension Cured

Post by Dingbat » Tue Jul 26, 2011 7:09 pm

Hi, guys.

Title of this post edited as I seem to have solved the problem.

Working on the basis that the bottom suspension and anti roll bar bushes would have been disturbed as the rear shocks were removed, I took both back wheels off and liberally sprayed all the bushes with silicon lubricant. It didn't give an immediate result, but after 24 hours and 70 miles, the squeak has totally vanished.

Thanks for your input.

Regards

Brian
    Brian Dingsdale
    TF 160 Sprint, VHS Dampers, glass rear window, B&G low coolant alarm, Mud flaps, rear light protectors, Powdercoated and polybushed subframes (Royal Blue). Stainless coolant pipes. Braided brake hoses. Greasable clutch release arm.

J13UTM
      MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
      Model of Car: 2001 Trophy 160

Post by J13UTM » Thu Jul 28, 2011 8:42 pm

Brian, ive had a similar problem and solved it the exact same way!
      MGF VVC Panther LE
      KH Cheetah Bodykit & Splitter, Roversport Spoiler, SP Exhaust, 52mmTB, Custom RamAir Induction Kit, KYB Shocks, AP Racing Clutch, ULW Fly, SS Kit, SS Coolant Pipes, Lots Of Chrome, Electric Roof, LED Lighting, TF Tailights

Canalsman
      MGF Register Region: North West
      Model of Car: 2004 TF 160 LMG

Post by Canalsman » Fri Jul 29, 2011 12:00 am

Dingbat wrote:I've got a 2002 MGTF 160 Sprint, and have just had it fitted with the VHS/Bilstein comfort shock absorbers. I'm very pleased with the difference it's made to the way the car soaks up bumps in the road.
      It's a great modification, and after 18 months with this on my car, I still smile at bumps in the road, rather than clench my teeth and prepare for loss of fillings ...

I cannot recommend the VHS kit highly enough :)