TF 160 rear brakes

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

TF 160 rear brakes

Post by stuart » Sun Sep 23, 2012 12:33 pm

Hi all,

I need to replace the rear discs on my TF160- they've just about had it! Rather than replace like for like I was going to take the opportunity of uprating them- was thinking of the 266mm VHS big brake kit. Has anyone fitted these and if so, what's your view on them? Also, are there any other options you could recommend that I should be looking at?

Aside from the aesthetics in that the AP's and big brake discs on the front look awesome when compared to the seemingly puny set up on the rear- would I be right in thinking that as a rear wheel drive car, the brakes on the rear could be doing an awful lot more to stop the car? A little concerned about brake balance regarding such a conversion too- any advice greatly appreciated!

Thanks,

Stuart
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: TF 160 rear brakes

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Sep 24, 2012 5:50 pm

The rear brakes are working a good deal harder on an MGF/TF than on a front engined car due to the weight distribution. I find that the AP front brakes are too front-biased. They work very well, but under hard braking you end up locking up the fronts sooner than if you had standard sized front rotors due to a disparity in braking torque front to rear. The VHS kit was commissioned to redress this, and to ensure adequate rear disc cooling, which is marginal on a car used on track. I have the kit on my MGF (and have had it since 2008). It works well, but perhaps a 304mm rear rotor to match the front might be better? Certainly would be awesome from an aesthetic perspective! :lol:

Fitting of the VHS kit is straightforward: http://mgf.ultimatemg.com/group2/brakes ... /index.htm

Others have been fitting 280mm rear discs - from a Focus I believe. Bare in mind that you'll need a rear caliper spacer, and will need to get the discs re-drilled with the correct PCD. You may also need a centre-bore spacer (the centre bore being the central hole in the wheel, through which you usually can see the wheel bearing nut - the flange of this on the hub is used to locate the wheel and the brake rotor rather than the wheel studs...

Hope this helps

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Mon Sep 24, 2012 8:24 pm

Thanks Rob!

I really must explore your site to the fullest- methinks I've merely scratched the surface! :thumbsu:

That's settled then, one VHS kit coming up!
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

hawkstringer
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Mk1 mgf 1.8mpi

Post by hawkstringer » Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:55 am

I have fitted the ebc turbo groove vented to both front and rear with green stuff pads. And with the big front discs. all seems fine. but i dont race round tracks, definatley improved braking. and yes looks great! Costs a packet though.