How do I connnect the rear window heater on an MG TF ?

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
Bianca
MGF Register Region: South East

How do I connnect the rear window heater on an MG TF ?

Post by Bianca » Mon Jul 05, 2010 3:29 pm

Following the helpful advice on here re whether or not the hard top fits over the soft top. I have now bought a hard top, but ...

how do I connnect the rear window heater on an MG TF ?

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Re: How do I connnect the rear window heater on an MG TF ?

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 05, 2010 4:49 pm

Wiring loom already in place - but you'll need a switch and a relay.

Is yours a pre-2003 TF? Wiring system altered significantly with the introduction of the Pektron Security Control Unit (round-shaped key 'plipper')

mikenbetty

Post by mikenbetty » Mon Jul 05, 2010 5:39 pm

Hi Rob

Hard top purchased from me. (nearside wing, if you remember)
They may need some better description. I looked for the window end of the loom under the carpet on the parcel shelf but could not find the connector or loom. Where have they hidden it?

Hope all is going well with Project Shed!

Regards
Mike Sherwood

Bianca

Post by Bianca » Mon Jul 05, 2010 6:08 pm

Rob Bell wrote:Wiring loom already in place - but you'll need a switch and a relay.

Is yours a pre-2003 TF? Wiring system altered significantly with the introduction of the Pektron Security Control Unit (round-shaped key 'plipper')
Shes an 80th anniversary model if that helps ...

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Jul 05, 2010 9:29 pm

I bet the plug is well hidden under the parcel shelf carpet/sound deadening - and may even be found somewhere down the front of the bulkhead panel!

David Clelland
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 2001 MGF Steptronic

Post by David Clelland » Tue Jul 06, 2010 10:12 am

As Rob says the wiring loom and plug will be there it's just a matter of looking in the corner beside the seat belt reel behind the passenger's seat. Once found connect the heated rear window wires to the loom plug. Next is the switch and relay. First have a look in your handbook to see where the heated rear window switch should be in your car because they are keyed (normally left of centre). You can just see it in this picture next to the rear fog light switch -

Take off the passengers footwell panel (the one with the light on it); put your hand in behind the switches and push the appropriate blank out (don't worry if the next switch comes out as well). The wires for the switch are plugged into the back of the blank. There isn't much wire so I find it helps if you pull the blank and wires out and turn them through 90° so they don't slip back through the hole. Unplug blank and plug switch in it's place and push everything back into the dash and replace panel. Next is the relay. Under the dash to the right of the steering wheel you will see a panel that covers the fuse panel. It has two catches that you use a coin to open - you just need to turn them 90°, they do not screw out. The fuse panel changed around 2003. Depending on which panel you have you will either need to fit a large (normally yellow) relay to the bottom of three sockets which is empty on the right of the board. If it's the later board then you will need to fit a smaller black with a green stripe relay into the second from the top on the left bank of sockets which should be empty. Fit panel cover and it's time to see if it works. THE ENGINE MUST BE RUNNING and then press the switch and the light should come on. Next do some heavy breathing in the back window and you should see it clearing.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 06, 2010 2:46 pm

An 80LE will have the later type wiring/fuse box :)

Bianca

Post by Bianca » Wed Jul 14, 2010 4:50 pm

Thanks :) will come in handy when I buy the relay and switch .... at least I know which one to get now :)

Bianca

Post by Bianca » Mon Oct 04, 2010 11:55 am

Thanks to everyone who helped with this one - fitted the bits over this weekend and she now has her winter coat on and a working rear window heater :)