Front fog lamps on an F

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
ElectroSoldier
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 'я' MGF 1.8i VVC

Front fog lamps on an F

Post by ElectroSoldier » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:17 pm

Ive seen a few MGF's fitted with front fog lamps, not many, in fact less than 3 so far that seem to have been a standard fit.

http://www.carstyleplus.co.uk/MGF/mgf.html
Ive seen a Trophy 160 style front spoiler add on that has the holes for fitting them, but the spolier isnt compatable with the splitter plate further down the same page.

I was wondering if there is a way to keep my standard (and rather pretty looking) bumper but add the fog lamps, because where I live is quite susceptible to foggy conditions in the autumn/winter months so fog lamps + a splitter would be good.

As I see it the options are standard + splitter + fog lamps or Trophy160 spoiler + fog lamps....

I would prefer the keep the clean lines of course, but what performs better as a stability view point, a spoiler or a splitter plate?
Im thinking in the 70-100 range, as sub 70 she feels alright.

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Re: Front fog lamps on an F

Post by Charless » Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:22 pm

Are you legally permitted to do as much as 70 on the island?

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Wed Mar 16, 2011 11:05 pm

a hypothetical 70+

However, of the miles of road on the island most of them are derestricted 60mph roads, and there is about 600 meters of dual carriageway )))

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:40 am

Fogs were fitted as an optional extra, either as a factory or dealer fit. I had mine fitted as a dealer fit (black bezels give the game away here, but I've had mine painted subsequently).

I think they add to the appearance of the standard bumper, but I have to confess that I really don't use them that much! I was working in Essex when I got the car, and they get some real pea-soupers, but since then, rearly seem to be caught out by fog... oh well.

Whether you go for the aftermarket Trophy splitter with the fog trims already built in or not is a tricky call. But the splitter, on cars with standard suspension, is definitely worth it for the additional front end stability they provide. But I suspect that the splitter, once fettled to make a good fit, and painted with the rest of the bumper etc, is going to add over 200 notes to the modification.

Do you/ don't you. That is the question. ;)

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 3:49 pm

Brian (bgunn) has one up in the Classifieds section, might be worth PMing him?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:19 pm

Kool cheers Mykel))

But as to the fogs, is all the wiring needed for the switch already in place, or will it need to be added?

I would rather an F bumper + fogs + splitter, but I was talking to my mech today and as hes really rather good with a spray gun too it doesnt matter what colour it is...

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:34 pm

AFAIK the wiring loom comes with the fog lamp kit together with the required switch. I had the fascia off for the boot opener project ... the only switch connector already in place is the one for the hard top heated rear window.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 17, 2011 5:40 pm

Absolutely - the fog lamp kit comes complete with a dedicated wiring loom plus relay and switch. If you don't fancy the OEM prices, then it should be reasonably easy to replicate from the wiring diagram on Dieter's website :)

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:58 pm

MGFCentre want £160 + VAT for a fog lamp kit!!!!!!

Is it me or is that a little steep for it?
Theres no photo of it, so I dont know what included, there only an entry in the pricing guide

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:21 pm

Hopefully that'd be fully inclusive: wiring loom, switch, relay, mounting brackets, fog lamps x2, fog lamp brackets x2, fog lamp bezels x2, adhesive and hole cutting pattern (L and R, pre-moulded plastic). If so, then the price is not too astronomical. But perhaps a little high. How much from Rimmers and B&G? Probably comparable?

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:34 pm

Checked B&G ... seems to be around £140 plus VAT for two lamps, the loom and a switch there, couldn't find info about the brackets and relay. Couldn't find any of those at Rimmer. So I think £160 for a complete brand new kit sounds fairly reasonable. Call them for content description.

There are some items for sale on eBay (no bears attached to these, hopefully) but then you have to wire it all up yourself. Switches and relays there usually come from breakers, so you could just ask them, if they have a wiring loom around as well. Still you are likely to end up with £80 to £100 and have to deal with various sellers.

As Rob posted above, the whole job (foglamps plus Trophy splitter) won't be a cheap mod anyway.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Thu Mar 17, 2011 10:15 pm

Yeah I think your right, it will cost pretty much double what I thought it would... I was thinking more £150-170 all up, not £300.

If I go with a splitter I think it will be the MGF K&H Front Splitter, I prefer it over the Trophy 160 air dam...
Ive never seen a Trophy 160 spoiler underneath, does it have a splitter plate under the spoiler lip on the leading edge?

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Fri Mar 18, 2011 5:48 am

If I were on your side of the Channel and could collect it myself, I think I'd go for Brian's offer; you could always add the fogs later, if you really need them.

Yet if you come across a source for the KH splitter in solid black (like they used to be, not painted) I would be grateful if you could spread the news. The ones I find over here come either primed in grey or painted in body colour. The former look awful, the latter are too much prone to chips and speed bump contacts IMHO, and cost a fortune naturally.
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 18, 2011 9:54 am

Why don't you speak to Martin Smith, he breaks F's and TF's carefully, you don't need to buy brand new for these parts do you ? 07722 175473 www.usedmgtfspares.co.uk
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 10:18 am

I'm not sure but I think that the original Krafthaus (which became KH later) splitter, which was originally available in black gel coat or carbon fibre, is now sold by Brown and Gammons. The others are reproductions of the original design.

The KH splitter has been combined with the Trophy style splitter. Erik did this - and plenty of detail on his website, which is well worth looking at: http://www.mgtf.be/MO_EX_SP_SD_itfits.html

Just something else to throw into the mix ;)

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 18, 2011 1:42 pm

Yes Rob, they do and boot lid spoilers and they will also paint to match.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:16 pm

OMG!
Its never simple is it!!!!!?????

I thought this would be a simple and reasonably cheap mod... LOL

RobBell, that red car article was what gave me the idea in the first place!
I do love that look, combine that with some fogs and thats pure *** in my opinion!!!

Any idea where I would get the spoiler from? and the splitter plate underneath it?

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:46 pm

Smith and Deakin do the reproduction Trophy Splitters, but they are also available off ebay. As are the KH-style wing splitter. Actually, if I recall correctly, the same ebay trader also does Trophy style splitters with the fog housings already made..

Found them - no recommendation, never had any contact with them regarding these pieces:

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/Rover-MGF-Trophy- ... 3cb60c57bd

Looking on fleabay, looks as though Motobuild are also selling KH-style front splitters - 56 quid.

So that'll be 150 quid before postage and fitting. ;)

Rob Bell
Committee Member

Post by Rob Bell » Fri Mar 18, 2011 3:50 pm

Sneak think to myself - might get one of these, and use the fog openings as brake ducts... hmm... Image

ElectroSoldier

Post by ElectroSoldier » Fri Mar 18, 2011 4:17 pm

I see now, that white car is fitted with a "Trophy style splitter" ?

Thats what Ive always known as an air dam, because it more tries to direct the air over the body rather than split the air going under the car.

I was told that that Trophy splitter will not work with the splitter plate.
A splitter plate will give better performace than an air dam, so if I have to make a choice I will go with a splitter plate.
It doesnt look at good I admit, but the performance is better.

m99 supply the same products on ebay as they do in their web site, but theres less products on ebay, they can supply the same items as in the link in the OP.

I can get the bumper splitter, splitter plate + Trophy rear spoiler for £239.85 delivered and my mech can spray and fit the lot for about £200...
The add on to that would be the fogs and they would be £160+VAT+fitting (((((
They will cost almost as much as the panels!!!

The brake duct inlets sounds like a nice idea, and going by the brake fade on mine it might be a worth while mod!