correct tyre sizes for a 98 mgf

http://www.ukmgparts.com
Ask the Gurus - Use this board to discuss problems or technical issues you have with your MGF/TF - there's always an expert around to help you!

Moderator: Committee Members

Forum rules
Not many rules really, this board being aimed at technical issues, it shouldn't fall foul (hopefully) of some of the more personal issues that can affect forums.

Rule 1 - Is that you need to think very carefully before posting anything technical or asking anything technical relating to the security system of the car - See 'Security Issues' sticky for more info.

Rule 2 - We (MGF Register) do not support copyright infringement and therefore references to CD ROM, PDF versions or paper copies of the workshop manual (for instance) should not be posted on the forum. We don't want to get into trouble and we'd rather sell you a genuine hard copy through our Regalia shop anyway! :)

Because advice is honestly and freely given in this technical section, much of it will be amateur experienced based, so any information is given in good faith and is not guaranteed as correct.
gucciman
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 1.8i mgf

correct tyre sizes for a 98 mgf

Post by gucciman » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:54 pm

Hi, I have a 98 1.8i MGF with the original alloy wheels still fitted. What are the correct tyre sizes for the rear and front of the car?
I currently have 205 x 50r x 15 fitted to the rears and 185 x 55r x 15 on the front. However I went on a tyre sales website where you enter your cars reg no in the search box and it comes up with the tyre sizes you need and they didnt match whats on my car?
also does anyone know anywhere in either Brum or Swansea or enroute inbetween where I can get cheap budget tyres or partworns?

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Re: correct tyre sizes for a 98 mgf

Post by Mykel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 8:58 pm

The sizes you have on your car are perfectly okay, these are OE.
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:02 pm

gucciman wrote: also does anyone know anywhere in either Brum or Swansea or enroute inbetween where I can get cheap budget tyres or partworns?
Be very careful with what tyres you do fit to the F. Not all brands suit the F/TF. Cheap or part worn tyres may not give you very good handling. Ensure you fit the same type of tyre to each axle and preferably the same tyres all round.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:11 pm

Oops, Keith, got me on that :oops:

Note to self: read a post down to the last words ("budget" and "partworns") before replying.

Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Tue Jun 21, 2011 9:18 pm

Strange one this as our *F* is likely to fail its MOT because of rear tyres AND the garage can not get me my preferred Toyos so we went on the web to a couple of 'tyre suppliers' and they both told us our car has 16 inch wheels as original fit!! Now I know that is a load bull because we have owned the car since new in 1996 and it still has its original wheels - 15 inch.

It got me so confused that I dug out the original advertising leaflets and books and they stated quite clearly that both the MPi (ours) and the VVC were fitted with 15 inch wheels.

I know that 16 inch came along later but not sure when.

PS still looking for our Toyos - several sites advertise them BUT when you click on buy they come up as out of stock and no delivery dates!

artful.codger
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGZR 105+ + 04 TF135

Post by artful.codger » Wed Jun 22, 2011 9:44 am

I got a pair at www.blackcircles.com not long ago at a good price.
--
Regards,
Rick.
1996 F 1.8 MPi & 2004 TF 135

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Wed Jun 22, 2011 10:41 am

As others have said, the sizes you quote are the correct sizes for your car.

As others have also warned, the F (and TF) is *very* sensitive to choice of tyres, and the handling can be really compromised through the choice of tyre. It is so important not to mix tyres and to make sure you go for 'recommended' options. There is so much information on this and other forums about the choice of tyres (probably as much on tyres as cooling system issues :) ), do a search and make an informed decision.
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

Softly~Softly
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF1.8VVC TF135. 160

Post by Softly~Softly » Wed Jun 22, 2011 3:29 pm

Toyos are for summer only and need heat in them as they are sports type ,so you need to push hard to keep the heat going !
Having fitted 4 new ones last year and I can honestly say they are useless in the wet or winter conditions..
Bambi on ice comes to mind ..
Although my opinion was not shared by many, quite a few have recently "Come out" and said they hate theirs too ..
Common problem wandering, lack of grip and low mileage around 6 to 8k ..
I would not recommend them to anyone...
For all MG/Rover .. MGWW MGWorldWide https://www.facebook.com/groups/midland ... p_activity

Trainer
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Post by Trainer » Wed Jun 22, 2011 4:51 pm

Tyres are a bit of a personal thing though arn't they, yes of course it is sensible to look at recommendations, but personal experience also plays a part, I've used Avon tyres for years and never had a problem with them even back in my motor bike days, on my F, I have Avon ZV3 195/50/15 all round and have found them excellent for grip both in dry and wet conditions, even on the ice and snow we had earlier in the year they were fine, wear is also very good have done 6000 miles on them so far and there almost as good as new, about the same price as Toyo proxes but always easier to get and they are British on my British sports cars lol :lol:

Because of personal experience I've done the same on the TF and today had fitted Avon ZV5 205/50/15 on rear and 185/55/15 on the front.

I did note that Avon ZV3 did score well on Rob's tyre chart 8.1/10 and 7th on the list.

I did notice like others that when you put the car type (make model) in some of the online tyre retailer search engines it does come up with some weird suggested sizes.

The other thing I found was that you can get some amazing discounts if you play the tyre retail fitting companies off against each other, originally Halfords Auto centre were the cheapest for Avon tyres including fitting balancing etc, but I don't like Halfords so rang around, at National Tyres got a quote, he asked if I had any other quotes so I told him Halfords Auto centre’s, I knocked £20 off the Halfords price I told him and he still bettered it, ordered tyres yesterday, had them fitted an hour ago :thumbsu:
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

Green Squirrel
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Wed Jun 22, 2011 5:52 pm

In 15 years I have had the OEM tyres (Goodyears) Bridgestone SO2s and Toyo TIR Proxes.

The Goodyears would break away at the least provocation, the Bridgestones were certainly the best BUT no longer available so I am now onto my second set of Toyos and the have never let me down in rain (summer or winter) and providing one drives accordingly they have been fine in the snow and on dry roads their grip is phenomenal!

Would recommend Toyos to anyone.

Oh and as a BTW I have been known to drive The Green Squirrel a little on the hard side -especially when one can do it legally on the Nurburgring for example.

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:24 am

Like Ted, I have to throw my hat in the ring and defend Toyo's. Having driven other brands I'll stick with what's good for me.

They are a fair price, compared to others, they give me excellent mileage (24K on the rear and close to 40K on the front) I've had them in 16" and 17" on both F and TF and like Ted my wife and I have and do regularly push the car to it's limits where we can, usually in Germany.

I cannot agree with your "Bambi on ice" statement although I respect your view and words, last year as many will have read in FasTForward we took a number of cars across the Dolomites/Alps and Pyrenees with full loads of luggage and fuel for two weeks of touring, most had Toyo's fitted and we never encountered any problems as you describe. We drove in snow, sleet, rain and sun with never any problems. My car is used all year round and I never have any scary moments where I feel the tyre has let me down in over 70K miles.

We swopped cars on a run in Germany last year, the car I drove had Goodyear Eagles GSD2's, some say they are the best, to be honest, I was not impressed at all, nothing wrong with them but nothing special either for the money you have to pay.

I've just come back from the Montlhéry circuit in France where we thrashed around there for two sessions, the tyres took a pounding especially trying to drive at the top of the banking (think Brooklands only higher and faster), the outside edges suffered from the cornering, that's to be expected but never once did the tyres feel compromised, I know you've stated they are good in the dry but, believe me I know they are good in the wet too.

They are not perfect, is there a perfect tyre ?. The only downside I can report is, when cold, they are lazy, like all tyres they need warming up, that doesn't mean you need to rock the steering side to side just normal use and they respond.

I will also add that I've just had to prematurely change a front as, while checking the car over before the trip to Paris, I noticed bad inner tread wear. I quickly jacked the car up, checked everything felt secure, ran it to my local MG garage who also checked everything while the car was up in the air. We phoned our local tyre fitters who got a tyre in later that day (£65.64 all in and tracking checked too) and the job was done, what had happened was the inner wall had broken up, maybe as a result of damage by a speed hump as i don't recall hitting anything, there were no visible signs of damage on the outside, so it remains a bit of a mystery.

With over 40 years of driving, both professionally and enthusiastically I'm satisfied with Toyo T1R's, they suit my car and expectations and budget that's my view. I doubt if MG Motors/Brown & Gammons/Mike Satur etc would recommend a tyre as bad as you describe
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Trainer
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall

Post by Trainer » Thu Jun 23, 2011 7:44 am

adrianclifford wrote:The only downside I can report is, when cold, they are lazy, like all tyres they need warming up, that doesn't mean you need to rock the steering side to side just normal use and they respond.
:lol: :lol: :lol: Nice one Adrian :thumbsu: sat at my desk reading this at 7am, you started my day off with a good laugh, I had this image in my head of people driving to work in the mornings, swinging the steeering from side to side to warm the tyres up like in motor racing, good to start the day off laughing and the sun is shining in Torbay :thumbsu:

Steve
Steve and Bee
Torbay.

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 24, 2011 10:15 am

That would be a start to anybody's day seeing cars all over the road warming their tyres :lol:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Jun 25, 2011 9:08 am

Be carful when ordering Toyos - there is the T1S which is an ok tyre or the T1R which is a very very good tyre (obviously more expensive).

I have Avon ZZ3 all round on my ZS180 - I would highly recomend these, certianly for the ZS anyway.

My F came with Perelli P6000 all round which I know are not recomended but as they all have very good tread and we are budget motoring in the F they will stay for a while.

If buing tyres online use blackcircle to find an agent to fit them, even if supplied by someone else, I use camskill.

If going to a local branch of a national chain check online beforehand, often reserving through the net gives you a better price.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

gucciman
Model of Car: 1.8i mgf

Post by gucciman » Wed Jul 06, 2011 8:35 am

thanks for your reply everyone. I'm afraid that my primary concern at the moment is low price rather than a particular brand, I never drive the car hard anyway so don't really have to worry too much about performance and handling.

Reckless Rat
Model of Car: 97 1.8mpi in BRG

Post by Reckless Rat » Wed Jul 06, 2011 12:14 pm

All I can say is that if you fit cheap tyres the car will handle like a bag of spanners. There is plenty of paperwork available from the manufacturer to state that fitting non approved tyres is definitely not recommended as the handling may be adversely affected. In the case of a serious accident any crash investigator worth his salt will be able to identify the fact that non standard tyres were fitted and you could well be liable.

It is pointless spoiling the car for an 'ha'porth of tar.

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Jul 06, 2011 4:07 pm

gucciman wrote:I never drive the car hard anyway so don't really have to worry too much about performance and handling.
You do have to watch out for poor road conditions not just the way you drive with non suitable tyres. No hard driving but add a little bit of rain water to a tarmac road after a dry spell and the tyres are your only means to stay on the black stuff and if you come off, the insurance might get involved.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

MGsteveT
Model of Car: MGF, MG3

Post by MGsteveT » Thu Jul 07, 2011 6:03 pm

gucciman wrote:thanks for your reply everyone. I'm afraid that my primary concern at the moment is low price rather than a particular brand, I never drive the car hard anyway so don't really have to worry too much about performance and handling.
As it's been said Tyres are a personal thing and personally i wouldnt put Toyo's near any car. They're a budget Tyre and used to be priced as one but they're now taking a hike pricewise. My Tyre supplier wont even deal with Toyo anymore because of various bad experiences. And as Adrian said he had a Toyo go out of shape on the front of his TF recently. Different people will recommend different things but remember it's just their opinion.

If you need to buy a budget Tyre then buy a budget Tyre. We see hundreds of F's and TF's every year wearing different rubber from £35 Corsa tyres from Korea to £160 Pirelli PZero's and they all work well enough for everyday driving. As a company we recommend Uniroyal or Falkens but if price is an issue then we will happily fit budgets.

FYI there is a Budget Tyre called Nexen, they have a tread pattern like a GoodyearF1 and come with a Lifetime guarantee, some of the market leaders dont even do that.
British Legends - MG - Rover - Austin - Freelander -

http://www.britishlegends.co.uk
01702 511123[/centre]

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Thu Jul 07, 2011 9:43 pm

MGsteveT wrote:FYI there is a Budget Tyre called Nexen, they have a tread pattern like a GoodyearF1 and come with a Lifetime guarantee, some of the market leaders dont even do that.
I have to back Steve on these, have had Roadstone/Nexen N3000 fitted since March, ~4000 miles on them now. Good grip, quite silent run, little wear. In the wet, just had the back of the car slipping away twice and this was on the same corner on the same day, so might as well have been oil or sth like that on the road.

The N3000's are only available in 215/40 16 86W, that's the ones I've got. For the 15" sizes asked in this thread it's the N2000's, which have a more or less similar appearance. Load/speed index is 82V front, 86V rear. Good quality for almost budget price ... in the Falken range I'd say. And a lot more sensible than buying part worns.

Mykel
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Post by mowog73 » Fri Jul 08, 2011 12:22 pm

My F came with a set of Nankang tires on it. I was a bit concerned about how the handling would be from everything I have read about the F being picky about its tires. Well, so far, so good. The car handles very well even when exceeding the posted limit.
Mark