How Do You Drive a car home on Sorn

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

HenryB
MGF Register Region: Essex

Post by HenryB » Fri Oct 21, 2011 9:52 pm

I am considering taking my F off the road for the winter, and looking for a cheap runaround.
The puzzle I have is, if I buy a car with a MOT but no road tax(on Sorn) how do I get it home. I can insure it for the day or so I need to drive it home, but will be unable to tax it as it is not registered in my name. The person I am (or will be) buying it from, will be unable to tax it as its no longer insured I assume.
If I take a chance and just drive it with no tax, I am quite likely to be caught on camera. And these days it will flag up those cars with no tax.
One way round this is to get it delivered on a trailer, at more expense.
If I feel happy about the vendor and they feel okay about me, I suppose I could take the V5 and MOT along with a insurance cover note, and get it taxed before I pay and pick up the car.
This just makes a buying experience more complicated.
Perhaps just buy a car that is MOT'd and taxed.
Anyone else had experience of this situation.

mal7921
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by mal7921 » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:02 pm

Without taxing it you would have to get it delivered. However if you insure it the day before and then tax online the next day with the DVLA online, you would be ok if your number plate was scanned by one of the mobile tax disk checks as it would be on the DVLA database.

However if you were stopped you could still be done for not displaying the tax disk, even though it is taxed!

Also remember that under new uk laws, if it's taxed it MUST be insured, even if it is SORN.

The last 3 cars I have bought have all been from traders, who for the additional cost of the disk taxed it before I picked up the car. Assuming the vendor still has insurance on the car they may also be able to do this, if not its either the trailer or something similar to the above.

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: How Do You Drive a car home on Sorn

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:09 pm

mal7921 wrote:Without taxing it you would have to get it delivered. However if you insure it the day before and then tax online the next day with the DVLA online, you would be ok if your number plate was scanned by one of the mobile tax disk checks as it would be on the DVLA database.
Suspect the easiest way is to trailer the car to you.
I don't think you can tax online unless you own the car and the V5 is in your name. You could tax the car locally once you have the paper work from the seller. Just note, if you try to tax the car locally before you drive the car home, the insurance details may take a day or two to get onto the Motor Insurance Database (MID), so you may still get stopped by the police or your picture taken by auto cameras, so ensure you carry your car insurance details with you.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Mike H
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: 2010 MGTF135

Post by Mike H » Fri Oct 21, 2011 10:40 pm

And if you do get the car trailered to you, make sure to cover the number plates even though it's on a trailer.

I know third hand of someone who ended up in a legal battle because even on a trailer the plates of the trailered vehicle were picked up by an ANPR camera and of course it wasn't taxed , insured or SORN'd. As with everything these days motoring related, guilty unless you can prove your innocence, and the associated 'requests for payment' were duly received in the post..... :roll:
Audi TTS owner
Former MGTF 135 owner
Former TF 160 Sprint owner
Former ZS180 owner
Former MGF owner

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Sat Oct 22, 2011 8:40 am

you can tax a vehicle if the V5 is not in your name, BUT the tax disc get sent to the address on the V5 and you need to have the details on the SORN paperwork.....

HenryB
MGF Register Region: Essex

Post by HenryB » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:21 am

Just delving a bit more into this.
When you buy a car, you get given the slip V5C/2 by the previous keeper. This is torn off the V5C, which the seller sends away to the DVLA.
With the V5C/2 slip you can tax the vehicle at a Post Office or local DVLA.
Not clear if this can be done online. The V5C/2 has various document numbers that could be entered online.
Along with the V5C/2, assume you need to present the MOT and insurance cover note.
Now you can collect the car, and pay remaining amount or whatever arrangement was made.
It involves a certain amount of trust between buyer and seller, who you may not know.
Process getting clearer, but made more complicated by new laws and enforcement.
Less hassle to get a car that is taxed or get it trailered.

Boot Hill Bandit
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by Boot Hill Bandit » Sat Oct 22, 2011 9:46 am

Try 'Shiply'...........I have used them in the past and basically the set up is you give details of point 'A' the pick up place, point 'B' the drop off place, the dates of when each would be most suitable and the times........this gets put into a bidding system and you can sit and watch the prices tumble. You accept the company you wish to use and discuss it offline. Simples 8-) . Thoroughly recommended.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sat Oct 22, 2011 10:18 am

If you do the deal and have the completed V5C, MOT and a Cover Note, add a cheque and then either:
Vist your Local DVLA Office and pick up a Tax Disc or
Post it to the DVLA and wait 5 days for the disc.
Geoff F.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:37 pm

You can drive a car for upto 5 working days without displaying a valid tax disc after you have bought it online.

You can purchase insurance several days before you want it to start.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sat Oct 22, 2011 4:47 pm

talkingcars wrote:You can drive a car for upto 5 working days without displaying a valid tax disc after you have bought it online.

You can purchase insurance several days before you want it to start.
BUT you can only buy tax online or by phone IF you are the registered keeper of the vehicle and your name, address and any vehicle changes are updated at the Driver and Vehicle Licensing Agency
Or you have a ‘Vehicle Licence Application/Statutory Off Road Notification’ (V11 reminder) or Registration Certificate (V5C) in the keepers name.
Online Tax application
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Oct 23, 2011 10:16 am

Just an idea... if you are on trusting terms with a local dealer or garage, maybe you can borrow a set of red plates from them. I have one in my village who lets me have them for a tenner a day.

---
I am here: http://maps.google.com/maps?ll=51.388113,12.482867
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org