Avon, Gloucestershire and Wiltshire

Moderator: colintf

brake-buster
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds

wow, it never ends......

Post by brake-buster » Tue Apr 26, 2011 12:42 pm

hi to forum ,

four weeks ago i bought a british racing green 1997 MGF , in need of TLC
it also had the optional electric power steering fitted and the HAM metallic paint from new

the purchase price was well under £800 , but i knew it needed work , it is intended to be my wifes daily driver

so , first things first,

the engine is very good, in fact i have a long and comprehensive service history , it show the head was replaced just under two years ago with all the appropriate extra works carried out ,including new plugs, leads dizzy cap and rotor , however, there was very little oil in it, and the coolant was more like muddy water,
fist job i did was a full oil change with new filter ,
i then installed a pair of new stainless water pipes to the front of the car, and filled with the correct coolant mix , i then ran the car up and discovered that the engine temp gauge on the dash didnt move, so i went about fault finding , and found the sensor was U/S , replaced it and all is good ,car gets to temp , turns on and off the cooling fan on the rad, and also the engine bay fan , no signs of oil in the coolant , or sludge in the oil....the radiator is also new by the looks of it ,

next

fuel gauge didnt move, so i stripped out the pump and sender unit from the tank , found the contacts were ' dirty ' cleaned up with thinners and ensured the contacts were fully seated on the tracks, installed and all is good with the unit now ,

i then installed a new soft-top onto my original frame, took about six hours and looks perfect, i also installed a brand new door to hood-well seal , much better sealing,

then it was the rear anti roll bar links , easy enough , but fond all the original wheel nuts were a royal pita to get off, so ordered up a new set from the net ,
new stereo fitted in the dash with new JBL speakers in the doors, TF rear bar with speakers on the way......

talking about the doors, i needed two window stop devices, and a load of fettling and tightening of the door components , the door shuts with a clunk now rather than a rattle , lol
HOWEVER , when pulling onto my drive and applying the handbrake , just as i turned off the car the passenger window exploded all over me, oops , so a new window was sources and fitted

i have also fitted two brand new front headlight units , new clear indicators and clear side repeaters , all with orange lamps of course ,

the interior os a full Mike Satur ' Funique ' tan leather setup with door cards , gear gator and handbrake gator , i also bought and fitted the Mike Satur glass windstop , gave the interior a good clean and fitted anew gear-know and handbrake handle , i have the original receipt for the interior upgrade from 1999,

this past weekend was spend power mopping the whole car, she came up like a jewel

BB 8-)

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: wow, it never ends......

Post by colintf » Tue Apr 26, 2011 3:49 pm

Hi and welcome!

Well done so far :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

GeoffW
Model of Car: TFvvc 2004

Post by GeoffW » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:42 pm

Glad you're pleased with the results after all that, a true MG fan :thumbsu:
2004 vvc tf

nigelandjo
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:51 pm

Hi and welcome to the F Register Forum. Any photos of your car?
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Apr 26, 2011 9:52 pm

Hi and welcome

Sounds like you've been busy.

The drivers window on my ZS exploded over me on the approch to the Dartford Tunnel back in January.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

brake-buster

Post by brake-buster » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:12 am

thanks for the welcome

yesterday i also fitted a new drivers seatbelt, stainless bolts to the soft-top clips and sunvisors, stainless bolt dress-up kit to the underbonnet area, and a replacement mirror handle for the drivers side

i am also in the middle of a Jaguar XJS V12 restoration , and run a Jaguar XJ8 as my daily driver ,

i am debating if i should fit four new GAZ adjustable shocks to the setup , but at just under £200 , is it worth it ?

cheerz

BB

colintf
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Sun May 01, 2011 6:26 pm

sounds good.

mate of mine has just bought a Jag XJR (V8 + Supercharger) for less than £3k it's in mint condition. So much car for so little money 8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/