Silverstone Arena - Sat 14th June

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

ScubaStewart
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Silverstone Arena - Sat 14th June

Post by ScubaStewart » Wed Apr 02, 2008 3:59 pm

You may be aware that the MGCC are making some changes to Silverstone this year - the biggest being an Arena which will feature Russ Swift on the saturday.

We have been asked to marshall the Arena on Saturday which will probably require about 10 willing volunteers. It will involve people management - getting cars safely in and out of the arena and setting up cones etc as required.

Therefore I need some people to help out! Provisionally the Arena is likely to be split up 10-00 till 12-00 / 12-30 & 2 till 4 / 4-30.

For info the T Register are doing the sunday. Usual remuneration of free tickets is applicable, and I shall give more details on this when I have them, but it is likely to be a weekend pass for the days work.

Please post a reply if you are willing to help out, and have a front row view of Russ Swift doing his stuff! :thumbsu:

Volunteers
1) Stewart Griffiths (Coordinator)
2) Simon Davies
3) Paul Bridgman
4) Rob Ball
5) Kathryn Drewett
6) Simon Young
7) Lee Pudney
8) John king
9) Barry Joel
10) Su Joel

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: Silverstone Arena - Sat 14th June

Post by Keith Williams » Sat Apr 05, 2008 1:49 pm

I can't help with the arena as I am already booked to marshal the pit lane for the weekend but further to Stewart’s request for volunteers, I am sure a lot of further help will be required over the whole Silverstone weekend this year to ensure all the new events and especially the racing are adequately marshaled. The extra events being organised for this year will require even more help than in previous years.

I have noticed that the application form for Silverstone this year has no area to offer your services if you wish to put something back into the club.

Offers of help would be appreciated I am sure to either Steve Carr who can be contacted through the MGCC office for any general duties or John Watson [07801 648646] for race marshalling (johnwatson07@supanet.com) or I am sure, you can offer your help through the F-register itself. No previous experience is required for many of the duties.

Volunteers get free admission and normally a close up view of the action. At Silverstone, it is usually a pair of weekend passes given to ‘award’ your help. Only down side is you need to be there early and are on duty all day if you offer to help on the racing side.

Please do everything you can to assist and don’t just leave it to the others. The MGCC will need your help to ensure every one can enjoy the weekend and up to 600 drivers can have a great race meeting
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

The Force

Post by The Force » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:49 pm

I'll help in exchange for a weekend pass!

ScubaStewart

Post by ScubaStewart » Fri Apr 18, 2008 3:51 pm

Thanks kathryn, I've added you to the list! :thumbsu:

Still need some more volunteers..... Anyone???

YOUNG
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: TF Spark

Post by YOUNG » Fri Apr 18, 2008 8:15 pm

Add me to your list but i dont come home until two days before the event so i will keep my eyes on the net for any info Simon

ScubaStewart

Post by ScubaStewart » Sat Apr 19, 2008 12:41 am

Thank you Simon. Hope u have a fabulous time down under!

Ok, 4 more people needed for some close up views of Russ Swift doing his stuff! :thumbsu:

ScubaStewart

Post by ScubaStewart » Tue May 13, 2008 11:29 am

I need to sort out the weekend passes for those that have volunteered to help out on the arena for the Saturday. Please could you PM me your address ASAP.

Thanks.

YOUNG
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: TF Spark

Post by YOUNG » Fri May 16, 2008 11:20 pm

Simon Young, ******************************.

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Mon May 19, 2008 5:00 am

I think we've got enough volunteers now so thanks very much to all those that did volunteer. We've got far more duties this year to cover than we ever had before and I'l be sending out a rota system to everyone at some stage before the event. We're not only covering the Arena on saturday but are taking on Traffic Management duties as well as covering our own parking area and stall for three days - so the volunteers can be sure of a pretty busy weekend ! :thumbsu:

Incidentally if anyone fancies letting Russ Swift borrow your MGF/TF for his display then let me know as he'd love to do it in an F to replicate his early MGF birthday performances but hasn't got one. The MGCC might stand you a new set of tyres afterwards if you're lucky !

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

TimM

Post by TimM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 5:00 pm

Sadly Russ has decided not to attempt his stunts using an MGF . He reckons it was one of the most difficult cars he's ever used to drive on two wheels !!So he should be using the usual mini coopers.

Thanks to all those helpers who have volunteered.

Looks like the weather might not be too bad and don't forget to pop in and see us in the main marquee at some stage over the weekend.

We'll also be out in the car parks parking you up in nice straight lines and MGF Register people will be directing you as you enter Silverstone on Friday and Sunday mornings so don't forget to say hello to them as well !

:D

Tim Morris

DavidT6DCM
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: MGTF 160

Post by DavidT6DCM » Tue Jun 10, 2008 6:55 pm

Saw him using the Mini Coopers at NEC, bloody fantastic him and his young mates, not to be missed,hope i'm off the stall by then :thumbsu:

ScubaStewart

Post by ScubaStewart » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:18 am

Volunteers....

Not long to go now! Attached to this post is some info about what we have to cover. I have a rota, but unfortunately as the confirmed timings for this part of Silverstone came through a little late, it has not been possible for me to circulate and then modify as required, so I will have the rota with me on Saturday morning, and then we can all confirm if everyone is ok with it and make changes accordingly.

As per the note, please could you meet me at the arena at 09:30 on Saturday morning. If there are any problems or you just want a chat! then call me on 07795 435607. Look forward to seeing you all there.

Thanks

Stewart.
Attachments
Arena Marshalling.doc
Arena Marshalling
(72.5 KiB) Downloaded 43 times

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Jun 12, 2008 12:56 pm

Looks like you will all be kept busy there Stuart. One of these years I must not tick both days to marshal the pit lane as there is so much else to see which I miss out on :( Damn my lunch break seems to coincide with the arena lunch break too. lol.

May be it will be next year - but then again I may be in Norway for next years event at the European Event instead of Silverstone :thumbsu: (bad planning though to be same date for both events :roll: )
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

ScubaStewart

Post by ScubaStewart » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:06 pm

I'd just like to say a huge thank you to all of my volunteers on the Arena yesterday. It was a new feature for this year, and the details kept changing, and eventually ended up being a long day. It was a huge success, and if it happens again next year, we will have learnt a few lessons about how to make it even better.

So thanks to you all, and I look forward to seeing you at MGFest08! :thumbsu:

puds121
Model of Car: MG TF

Post by puds121 » Sun Jun 15, 2008 7:44 pm

Stew..it was a pleasure...even my insane giggling when Russ was doing those J turns between us!!!!...cant wait to do it again next year, I think we're naturals!!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Lee. TF135 'Nemo'...much loved and modded
XPG, Milltek quad exhaust, MGR wheels, Z&F Remap - 148bhp on RR, Blue dash conversion, MGF Centre seats and hoops, VHPD Bootlid.

ScubaStewart

Post by ScubaStewart » Mon Jun 16, 2008 12:02 am

Sadly my friend who was taking pictures of us in the arena with Russ Swift, has found his cameras memory card is corrupt, so if anybody has any pictures of us in the arena, It'd be great to get copies at full resolution. Any help greatly appreciated! Thanks

TimM

Post by TimM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 7:18 am

Don't worry Stew - Pics will be forthcoming , and a video but I'd love to see some others as well.

The Russ Swift drives were sensational but I think we might have to introduce a RADA award this year !

I'd really like to add my thanks to the Arena crew who all did a great job and for much longer than we had originaly anitcipated - well done all and particular Stewart for getting it all together. :D

I'd also like to thank all the other MGF register volunteers who all did a sterling job on the stall, in the MGF register Parking as well as directing traffic on the entrance roads - I know that some's knowledge of the various models of MG has increased considerably as a result !

This was the biggest contribution the register has ever made to Silverstone and John Day (Club Chairman), Richard Jones (General manager and Bill Wallis (President) all wanted to pass on their thanks to our volunteers as well - so well done everybody !!

Tim Morris

robinb
Model of Car: TF 135 " TuFty

Post by robinb » Mon Jun 16, 2008 1:40 pm

Great weekend Even the weather was ok ( if a bit chilly in the tent on Friday night :cry: ) Elaine & I were both dead on our feet by Sunday night ,however that probably had something to do with the Late night karaoke on Saturday night courtesy of swmgf. (Isnt it funny how you think you have a great singing voice after a few pints) Looking forward to the big one next month ! :D

DavidT6DCM
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: MGTF 160

Post by DavidT6DCM » Mon Jun 16, 2008 6:30 pm

You were most welcome Robin & Elaine and look forward to seeing some of your photo's :D Dave

Here's some of mine including 30 sec Karaoke sound clip as to dark for my camera :lol:

Click Here

Click Here

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Tue Jun 17, 2008 8:57 pm

http://web.mac.com/redbeard57/Silversto ... hotos.html

Here are some more from inside the arena on Saturday. For some reason the images have loaded from the last to the first....so it may look a little odd when you play the slideshow!!!
If any are wanted please feel free to e-mail me and I will send a copy without the Pegasus details at the bottom in a high res format...these have been somewhat compressed for easy downloading to the website.