CTM RUN - First run of the year - 21st February

A listing of up and coming events and latest register news.

Moderator: Committee Members

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

CTM RUN - First run of the year - 21st February

Post by TimM » Thu Nov 27, 2008 8:22 am

We're starting early this year with a new run to blast away some of the icicles .

Now this is a bit of a combination event as we will be starting with "THE CTM RUN" on Saturday 21st February which will be a scenic tour in the midlands ending at the fantastic Coventry Transport Museum right in the heart of the city. We will have priviliged parking immediately in front of the museum in Millenium Place making our cars temporary museum exhibits for the afternoon. Most of the other attractions of Coventry are within easy walking distance ,including the cathedrals.

If you would like to do so you can stay over in Coventry or the surrounding area and perhaps get together in the evening ready for the Stoneleigh International MG Show & Spares Day at the nearby National Agricultural Showground on Sunday 22nd February. The F register will be there with a stand as will many other clubs and a huge array of traders and autojumblists. MGs park in the cow sheds as usual !

So sign up today by submitting the registration form which can be found at the link below...

THE CTM RUN

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Re: CTM RUN - First run of the year - 21st February

Post by TimM » Sun Nov 30, 2008 9:30 pm

I've already received applications for this so I should say that there is limited parking in Millennium Place with a max of 50 cars so to ensure your parking position and avoid any parking fees you'll need to think about applying fairly soon !!

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Dec 09, 2008 2:40 pm

Hotel recommendations:

Originally thoughts were about the Holiday Inn: Express by the M40 as it has the Porridge Pot but that looks like it might be to busy already. To close to Stoneleigh maybe?

I would suggest the Allesley Hotel, 2-3 miles from the city centre http://www.allesleyhotelcoventry.co.uk/. Double room seems about £54? It has a good car park & restaurant. Next door to it, is a good real ale pub with micro brewery (if the beer is too expensive in the hotel) with a Harvester restaurant opposite if people do not like the hotel restaurant. For the energetic there are two parks a stones throw from the hotel to work off your dinner.
The Allesley Hotel is now showing it is fully booked. Spoke to them today (19/12/08) and if anything they are 'over booked' even though some web sites are still allowing booking with them. Would now suggest the two hotels below - Coventry Hill or Quality hotel. Once we know how many staying over night we can arrange a meal at one of the hotels. All three are within easy walking distance of each other.

The Coventry Hill http://www.britanniahotels.com/hotel_home.asp?page=88 & Quality Hotel http://www.choicehotelsuk.co.uk/hotels/ ... otel=GB647 are both in walking distance of the Allesley (well 10 minutes or so?) if there is an issue with getting enough people into the one hotel.

The Allesley is also close to the A45 for easy access to Stoneleigh on the Sunday (10 minute drive).

A more up market hotel, is the Ramada http://www.ramadacoventry.co.uk/. Double room around £65? Has restaurant, bar & multi floor car park. This hotel is closer to the city centre and is in easy walking distance of the town.

Another more up market hotel is the Village-hotel . http://www.village-hotels.co.uk/ Good parking, restaurant, bar and cafe in side the hotel. Includes free use of the leisure centre with gym, pool, sauna and steam room.

Another more up market hotel further out of town is the Old Mill Inn at Bagington http://www.pub-explorer.com/warwks/pub/ ... ginton.htm Good restaurant attached.

The Ramada & Village are short taxi rides from the Allesley hotel if you wish to join the dinner on the Saturday night. The Old Mill is a longer trip.

The start of the run into CTM is likely going to start at a hotel so if anyone wants a leisurely start to the Saturday they might want to stay the Friday night too? Details to be confirmed shortly.
Last edited by Keith Williams on Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 09, 2008 5:08 pm

Cheers Keith, I'm in to the Allesley. I've got a room for £52, it seems like there are some rooms left according to their list, but not many so be quick if you're going to book.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

tail-end-char-lee
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: 1999

Post by tail-end-char-lee » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:11 pm

Hi Keith

Good to see you on sunday and a quick thank you for the organisers! ......We both enjoyed a great day ... thanks again!!!
Thank you for the recomendations / ideas for hotels ......will be looking through them shortly.

Just to let you know of our interest in this event ... will be sorting out the registration form as soon as poss so please put us down as a definate !!!

Regards
Jonathan & Joyce

Seantf
MGF Register Region: East Anglia
Model of Car: MGTF

Post by Seantf » Tue Dec 09, 2008 9:33 pm

Hi Keith
we are booked in at the Allesley & looking forward to the first event of the year
Sean & Claire
:thumbsu:

jethrog51
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by jethrog51 » Wed Dec 10, 2008 9:40 pm

Adrian and Shaun booked in at The Allersley. Look forward to seeing you there.
Have sent in registration form.
Merry Christmas and a Happy New Year to all.

Karen and Geoff. :D :lol:

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Dec 17, 2008 10:21 pm

Good to see a few applications for the event are in all ready.

Attached a few more teaser views of the Coventry Motor Museum area.
Attachments
Inner Coventry ring road
Inner Coventry ring road
Coventry ring road (970 x 666).jpg (233.15 KiB) Viewed 3198 times
CTM & Millenium Place & Cathedrals
CTM & Millenium Place & Cathedrals
Coventry general (960 x 659).jpg (211.57 KiB) Viewed 3185 times
CTM & Millenium Place
CTM & Millenium Place
Coventry general 2 (960 x 659).jpg (157.62 KiB) Viewed 3147 times

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Dec 19, 2008 10:50 am

Unfortunately, the Allesley Hotel is now full. Spoke to them this morning and all 90 rooms are full. They may even be over booked :o . Certain web sites are still allowing booking with them.

The Coventry Hill (192 rooms) or Quality Hotel (80 rooms) are in easy walking distance of the Allesley so are the next to be reccommended off the list. We can arrange a meal once we know how many are staying over night in one of the hotels.

David A

Post by David A » Fri Dec 19, 2008 11:30 am

Keith Williams wrote:Attached a few more teaser views of the Coventry Motor Museum area.
Wow! Looks like Cov's changed a bit in the 16 years since I lived there... ;) :o Not least the Motor Museum ;)
Fortibus es in ero

Fast Jan
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: Typhoon TF160

Post by Fast Jan » Fri Dec 19, 2008 12:27 pm

It's changed a bit in the 8 yrs since I lived there too ;)

I've just booked into the Coventry Hill at the sale price of £43 for the Sat night :D

redbeard57
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 85th LE, MGF We

Post by redbeard57 » Fri Dec 19, 2008 5:01 pm

Now how about this for an idea......how many tents can we get in Keith's back garden......with the welsh karioke gang, a band a barby and a few crates of OSH who needs a hotel to party :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Dec 19, 2008 7:48 pm

redbeard57 wrote:Now how about this for an idea......how many tents can we get in Keith's back garden......with the welsh karioke gang, a band a barby and a few crates of OSH who needs a hotel to party :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
If you could get more than just one 2 man tent up in my garden (and that would be a squeeze and hard as I have no grass), I would supply the crate of OSH just to see you all freezing in the garden as I went back into the warm house to sleep :lol: :lol:

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sat Dec 20, 2008 1:34 pm

Coventry Hill Hotel booked, count is in with any get togethers planned for the Sat nite.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

UK Kiwis
MGF Register Region: South Midlands

Post by UK Kiwis » Mon Dec 22, 2008 5:18 pm

Hi all.
We are also now booked for the Sat night in the Coventry Hill Hotel.
Count us in for Saturday night dinner/jollies........

Tim/ you should have an entry for CTM from us.

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Dec 23, 2008 7:33 pm

Good to see the numbers building up for the event :D :D ...................

We can now confirm, the CTM run will start at the Holiday Inn, Rugby, Northampton, NN6 7XR which is close to the M1, Junction 18.

Refreshments will be available in the hotel cafe if required.

The run is planned to be about 45 miles long and start around 10:00 to ensure the arrival at the CTM allows plenty of time to explore the museum and Coventry city centre. For any one travelling longer distances to the run, a later start can also be arranged if we have advance notice. Direct arrival at the CTM could also be a possibility. Details will be supplied nearer the date of the event.

If any one would like a relaxing start to the day, accommodation in the hotel should be available on the Friday night to make it a full weekend of F’ing fun.

http://www.ichotelsgroup.com/h/d/hi/1/e ... me?start=1

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Jan 22, 2009 9:00 pm

There are still some places left on the CTM run & parking in Millennium Place, so reserve your place now before we fill our allocation.

The stars of the show (in my opinion) in the museum are the two last land speed record cars that were given a permanent home in Coventry by Richard Nobel after bringing the land speed record to the UK.

Coventry’s engineering expertise helped produce both the cars which eventually led to the breaking of the sound barrier. They are both very impressive cars up close.
Attachments
Thrust 2
Thrust 2
ScreenShot041 (492 x 405).jpg (58.54 KiB) Viewed 2754 times
Thrust SSC
Thrust SSC
ScreenShot042 (492 x 327).jpg (80.51 KiB) Viewed 2756 times

sparky135
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:43 pm

Your last post, Keith is a couple of weeks old now. Are there still places available as I'd quite like to do this run now that a gap has appeared in my diary?
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Feb 05, 2009 5:47 pm

Tim has not informed me yet that the event is full so apply away Sparky :thumbsu:

50 cars have guaranteed space on Millennium Place, but CTM has a small over flow car park for maybe another 15 cars if we do actually fill our parking allocation on the Place.

sparky135
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Thu Feb 05, 2009 6:30 pm

Thanks for the quick reply. I'll just run it past SWMBO so we can sort out arrangements for the dustbin lids and hopefully I'll get my application in the post tomorrow.

Cheers.
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk