Welcome to the Heart of England for
Warwickshire, Birmingham & surrounds.

Moderator: Steve White

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

What a great day it was today

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Mar 04, 2008 8:51 pm

Had the car 7 years yesterday but as it was back in the garage (now thats a surprise!) getting repaired to pass the MOT, I thought the car deserved a 'day out' treat today.

Had a great run topless around the Peak District today in that lovely but cold 'spring' sun shine. It was more than nippy out of the sun shine - even the snow was not melting ;) but with fun and quiet roads it made the driving even better. Car behaved well - well sort of, coolant temperature is still a puzzle and engine is now well run in as are the new brakes.

Hope you all enjoyed your days work :thumbsu:

It is so much more fun having a mobile F instead of a car 'stored' in a garage for repair :D
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Re: What a great day it was today

Post by Chris Tideswell » Wed Mar 05, 2008 12:06 am

Sounds a bit more promising Keith :D

The hard top came off on Sunday and I haven't yet driven the car this year with the hood up :thumbsu:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Mar 06, 2008 5:15 pm

Good news Keith, that sounds promising, what are your concerns about the temperature ? Is it running too hot, maybe the head has been skimmed too much ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:54 pm

As it was at Stoneleigh Adrian - running slightly warm to what I am used to. Moves between 1 stop below half (as expected) up to one half and occasionally one stop above. No pattern to what is happening. Strange that turning lights on and off the other day effected the temp??? From what I can make out, temperature is altering by about 12 degrees C from the movement on the gauge? Fan cuts in as it should. Coolant level is nice and stable. The refurbished head was only suppose to have had a minimal skim (if that) but with my luck you never know. lol. Garage wondering if thermostat playing up but I cant believe it would cause such fluctuations as they are normally open or closed? Will change oil and filter at weekend.

Hoping car is now sorted.

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Thu Mar 06, 2008 6:57 pm

fingers crossed Keith!

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Chris Tideswell
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Chris Tideswell » Fri Mar 07, 2008 9:56 am

Is this an instrumentation problem?

rob5059
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by rob5059 » Fri Mar 07, 2008 12:00 pm

Hi Keith this is offer is probably no good at all but thought I'd mention it. If you think its the instrument panel I have one that I know is working perfectly I have just removed from my vehicle and my temp run spot one one notch below centre. You would be very welcome to try it, you wouldn't want it as its Km not mph hence me changing.......but as I say a way of trying that will cost you nothing.

Regards

Rob

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Fri Mar 07, 2008 2:10 pm

Chris/Rob

Not sure what the problem is. The original engine ran at 'correct' temp so doubt if it is the gauge at the instrument panel end unless the timing is so bad that it has failed on me. Might be the sender (but this was replaced or I thought it had been - but then again think it was the one for the radiator fan) or something in the 'conversion' of the signal. The experience I have with thermocouples at work is they normally work ok but when they fail they go open circuit. They do not normally give a variable temp. Unless a stray signal is been picked up by the cable / sender unit, I am unsure of what is really happening with the temp on car. Could be in the cable as it has been removed a couple of times? but so far it seems to be running ok even with the slight temp fluctuations.