An area for the Essex and North East London area group - Essex MGF

Moderator: Michael Murkin

nick
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Motorbike

Post by nick » Thu Mar 26, 2009 10:44 am

Hey all,

Do any of you ride a motorbike??
I really want to get a bike license in the summer, and found a local school in Romford that does an intensive Direct Access course that takes a week and costs £500-600... I just wondered whether that was good value or whether, having had years of driving a car already, you wouldnt need that much training?
Any advice?
Cheers!
nick

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Re: Motorbike

Post by Green Squirrel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 am

Ridden bikes since I was 14 - some 57 years ago :( Riding a bike is a totally different thing to driving a car so in my opinion the answer must be YES take the course if you are serious about biking! :thumbsu :twisted: :

I know we did not have to take these course when I started BUT there was not the traffic on the roads then either.

If you do take the course I wish you many years of FUN !

Green Squirrel
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: 1996 1.8i

Post by Green Squirrel » Thu Mar 26, 2009 11:33 am

??

Steve-S
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: Mg TF 135 +

Post by Steve-S » Thu Mar 26, 2009 7:06 pm

Try
TMT "Thurrock Motorcycle Training at Back of Lakeside" Very Good Value

:thumbsu:
Regards
Steve-S

------------- A Mg is a Way of Life Not just for Christmas --------

nick

Post by nick » Fri Mar 27, 2009 12:31 pm

Thanks!

MGsteveT
Model of Car: MGF, MG3

Post by MGsteveT » Fri Mar 27, 2009 1:02 pm

Definately worth it! I did a 'Crash Course' about 6 years ago with 'Benfleet Motorcycle Training' which was a day for my CBT and then a fortnight later i did some '8 hour lessons' Mon-Wed and then my test was on the Thursday, no better feeling than passing and riding back to the bike centre without the instructor talking in your ear!
Mine cost about £500 which included the bike hire and the final test cost. it's also good for topping up your knowledge of the Highway Code.

What bike are you thinking of getting once you've passed?
British Legends - MG - Rover - Austin - Freelander -

http://www.britishlegends.co.uk
01702 511123[/centre]

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Mar 27, 2009 2:45 pm

Our eldest son, Michael, also went to Benfleet Motorcycle Training when he was 16. They were very good and patient.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Dell
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Fri Mar 27, 2009 6:25 pm

Passed my bike test in 1969 when virtually all that was required was that you could make it around the block without falling off, those were the days :thumbsu:
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

nick

Post by nick » Mon Mar 30, 2009 2:38 pm

MGsteveT wrote:Definately worth it! I did a 'Crash Course' about 6 years ago with 'Benfleet Motorcycle Training' which was a day for my CBT and then a fortnight later i did some '8 hour lessons' Mon-Wed and then my test was on the Thursday, no better feeling than passing and riding back to the bike centre without the instructor talking in your ear!
Mine cost about £500 which included the bike hire and the final test cost. it's also good for topping up your knowledge of the Highway Code.

What bike are you thinking of getting once you've passed?
Hi ya!
Well, I was going to do the Direct Access, but then that costs about £700 now if my research is right. So what I thought I might do, is do the CBT this summer, spent the rest of the money on a little 125, get some experience and get used to riding a bike, and then nail the proper test next year. Otherwise, I'll (hopefully) pass the test but wont have the money to buy a bike!! Then by the time I get one I'll probably kill myself as I would have forgotten how it works!! lol

Yeah I know next to nothing about Bikes, so its good you lot know a thing or two... was thinking something like a 'naked' or a tourer, but not a sport bike. Maybe i'll get to a harley in 20 years... :lol: :P

Have begun reading MCN, so will know a few names next time ;)

Dave J
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: Poseidon TF160

Post by Dave J » Tue Mar 31, 2009 1:39 pm

hi nike
i wouldnt go down the 125 route,i did.do your direct access straight away.i rode for a year on a 125 on "l" plates.wen you go to do ya direct access you've picked up bad habits,which the instructors will have to remedie.it would be better and easier for you to go straight down the direct access route,and spending money on a 125. suzuki sv 650 would be a good first bike
good luck
herts@mgfregister.org

2004 monogram Poseidon TF160
2003 monogram Lagoon TF135
2017 MG3

nick

Post by nick » Tue Mar 31, 2009 2:09 pm

Oh ok Dave thanks for the advice!

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Apr 03, 2009 1:09 am

I passed my bike test in 69(ish) when as Dell said all you had to do was ride round the block a few times & don't hit the tester when he jumped out in front of you for the emergency stop!!!
Still into bikes & currently have a Triumph Tiger 1050, you can't beat a good day out on the bike....

JYR001
Model of Car: SE Steptronic

Post by JYR001 » Mon Apr 13, 2009 9:47 pm

I'd take as much training as I could afford. I passed my test at 17 in 1975 on an RD250 and when I think back I can't believe I reached 18. The training nowadays really does focus your mind on being aware of what's going on around you. I returned to biking about 15 years ago (it's like a itch you can't stop scratching) but gave it up for an MG two years ago when I figured I'd used up more than my fair share of lives. There is no buzz quite like a bike but you really do need to keep your wits about you and treat everyone else on the road as though they are complete idiots, or blind, or both. 9 times out of 10 they are.

Neil Rushton

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 4:56 pm

SW Motech make at least 2 camera mountings for bikes, one on the bars & one specifically for their fuel filler brackets, not something I've any experience of myself though sorry. I have seen a video camera mounted on the fuel filler bracket it looked quite neat.

http://www.sounddistribution.co.uk/prod ... umber=2404

http://www.motohaus.com/acatalog/Camera ... ders_.html
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

mark lucas
Model of Car: mgfvvc

Post by mark lucas » Fri Apr 17, 2009 6:14 pm

Do i want a bike licence? YES
Am i going to get one? No
Why? I like living

Bikes look Awsome fun the buzz must be great but i think i would end up killing myself

Mark
Regional Rep for Essex, and your friendly contact for this
area

Essex Roadsters... we have TWO meetings
each month.
First Thursday of the month at the Dick Turpin on the A127
and
Third Thursday of the month at the Halfway House on the
A127.

Dell
Model of Car: Trophy160 Bug Magnet

Post by Dell » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:20 pm

Bikes are something thats in the blood once you have owned one for the rest of your life there will be times when you will get the hankering to get back on one :thumbsu:

I still have an 850 Norton commando tucked away in the garage & always fancied a replica norvile production racer......... now there`s a thought ;)
The optimist proclaims that we live in the best of all possible worlds. The pessimist fears that this is true.

JYR001
Model of Car: SE Steptronic

Post by JYR001 » Fri Apr 17, 2009 7:46 pm

Dell wrote:Bikes are something thats in the blood once you have owned one for the rest of your life there will be times when you will get the hankering to get back on one :thumbsu:

I still have an 850 Norton commando tucked away in the garage & always fancied a replica norvile production racer......... now there`s a thought ;)
You've got that right. I nearly came out of biking about four years back. I sold my VFR to a dealers in Woodford but after passing the shop for four weeks seeing it in the window every day I went and bought it back! My problem was that I never replaced it with anything else. On the second attempt (to get out of biking) I bought the MG and the pangs are much easier to bear. It's also slowed me down a bit which is no bad thing.

Neil Rushton

Post by Neil Rushton » Fri Apr 17, 2009 8:28 pm

At the end of the month I'm off up Scotland on the Tiger 1050 for my annual tour, Barbara is driving up in the TF as she won't pillion that far, best of both worlds!!!
Did a 300mile round trip Easter Monday down to Red Marley hillclimb & back, a great day out.
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

nick

Post by nick » Sat Apr 18, 2009 9:21 pm

mark lucas wrote:Do i want a bike licence? YES
Am i going to get one? No
Why? I like living

Bikes look Awsome fun the buzz must be great but i think i would end up killing myself

Mark
Hahaha love it!!! :D