EEoTY 2011 - 3rd to 7th June

Europe wide chat.

Moderator: Committee Members

dwkmgf
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 01 Steptronic

Re: EEoTY 2011 - 3rd to 7th June

Post by dwkmgf » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:07 pm

Those prices are out of my league - I can have a fortnight cruising in the Caribbean for that money. :(
Dave
2001 Tahiti Blue Freestyle Steptronic - Racing Vintage Stripes, Racing Vintage Interior, K&N 57i, TT Mk 4 Exhaust, AP Racing Brakes, HEP Braided Brake Hoses

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Thu Dec 02, 2010 10:20 pm

dwkmgf wrote:Those prices are out of my league - I can have a fortnight cruising in the Caribbean for that money. :(
it's more expensive than most of us thought I must admit.

Sharing Chalet (Bungalows) at Hotel Sol Cres may be a cheaper alternative. I awaiting their emailed reply of costs. There's 5 V8 owners keen to go, and this may be the option that gets us there??

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Dec 03, 2010 3:14 pm

I wrote to Alain about the chance of cutting costs by allowing us to make our own meal plans and accomodation, however, as I was led to believe the main cost is the hire of the circuit, here's Alain's reply :

Dear Adrian,

I fully understand Your point.

Right now I can only say that any decision on this matter is put on hold, as
we need to have a further look into the attendance.
For several practical reasons we have to make sure that those who have
booked the full package can be seated and can be offered everything they'll
pay for.

However, if we - and I do mention if - we'll make a package without
hotel/camping and breakfast it'll always include the meals, the racetrack
and the other activities. Any package without any meal will be to difficult
to organise.

But as I mentioned, we'll come to this decision later on (probably begin
january).

Thanks for the interest, though,

Vriendelijke Groeten,
Sincères Salutations,

Alain Van Langeraert
MG Car Club Belgium vzw

So, as you can see, whatever chance we have of reducing the very high and prohibitive cost seems unlikely at this stage and don't forget, we still have to add the cost of the ferry/train, although for once, we don't have a large fuel bill (so there was to be some good news) :D .

As many of you will know, I've been afraid of this because the lack of pricing from the outset led me to be suspicious, this is why I don't always go to the EEOTY because it's the EEOTY, I can't justify the cost for what's really a weekend event, as Dave says that's a two week cruise in the Caribbean. Might be time for Dawn and I to have a proper holiday or a Natter that Matters ;)

I see the dilemna here the cost of hiring the circuit and the need to recover that cost or the MGCC Belgium could be massively out of pocket. If all expected participants take the full package they should be OK I guess but if not then there lies the problem, I personally feel this to be on the risky side, rather let those who want to parade around the circuit do so at an added acceptable cost and those who are not that worried about it don't do it, look at the EEOTY in Zug 2008, we had a number of alternatives, if we didn't want to do one thing, we had different road books to give us a choice, excellent idea and planning. Over the years we have driven so many roads around Spa some are looking familiar now :? , maybe time for a change ?

Geoff, you're right, I'm aware of the high cost of the EEOTY in Norway, I really wanted to go but I couldn't accept the cost, at least you had a nice journey there and back, wonderful scenery and nearly two weeks door to door, this event is just four days !

I well remember the excellent EEOTY in 2007 when we went to Speyer, value for money, a great event and 15 laps of the full Hockenheim circuit, why is Spa so different ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

colintf

Post by colintf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:13 pm

thanks for trying Adrian!

Hakan tells me that Swden EEOTY 2012 "will be substantial lower" :)

8-)

Colin Murrell

aseabro-52
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by aseabro-52 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:27 pm

Hi Colin can see you are on line. Far to expensive the spa tour - looking forward to Sweden in the far distance, but we might see you in Germany next year. Happy Christmas from Alan and Jette

aseabro-52

Post by aseabro-52 » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:30 pm

Sorry Colin, we meant Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!!

colintf

Post by colintf » Fri Dec 03, 2010 5:33 pm

aseabro-52 wrote:Sorry Colin, we meant Merry Christmas and a happy New Year!!!!
Merry Christmas, Happy New Year and see you at MGFIM in Germany :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

Dieter K
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Fri Dec 03, 2010 11:19 pm

aseabro-52 wrote:Hi Colin can see you are on line. Far to expensive the spa tour
Hi gang, just popped in here. Haven't had a look until Marina's email arrived the other day.
Anyway, we are out of the Spa planning aswell due to the costs. :shutup: I recall Italy was out for us from the same reason. Geiranger was something really different as said.

PS. Looking forward to another canaries apartment holiday in January, (fortnight 1232 EUR ) :thumbsu:

All the Best
Dieter & Rosi
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96

colintf

Post by colintf » Sat Dec 04, 2010 5:25 pm

Dieter K wrote:
aseabro-52 wrote:Hi Colin can see you are on line. Far to expensive the spa tour
Hi gang, just popped in here. Haven't had a look until Marina's email arrived the other day.
Anyway, we are out of the Spa planning aswell due to the costs. :shutup: I recall Italy was out for us from the same reason. Geiranger was something really different as said.

PS. Looking forward to another canaries apartment holiday in January, (fortnight 1232 EUR ) :thumbsu:

All the Best
Dieter & Rosi
It will be sad not to have some of our friends there including yourselves, but fully understand Dieter.

Enjoy the Canaries :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Dec 06, 2010 12:48 pm

I know Hakan's organising of the EEOTY 2012 will not be as expensive but don't forget you will have to add six days of driving, three there and three back and four overnight hotels en route or the two rather expensive ferries required from Harwich-Esbjerg. Add the cost of the fuel, Oresund bridge crossing fees, lunches etc and you already start off with a bill of around €1,000 for a couple. Maybe even more if you are travelling from the north of the UK, consider even other crossings eg the 24 hour Newcastle-Gothenburg, it will be expensive whichever way you go. There are no direct ferries, as far as I know, from the UK to Helsingborg so you will have to ferry and/or drive at least once, you can avoid the Oresund (as we have done) by using the Puttgarden ferry but the cost is similar so enjoy the bridge/tunnel again if travelling from the UK.

I predict the cost will be in the €2,000 bracket once the prices and travel are put together, too much for a long weekend maybe ? You know the prices in Sweden for everything you eat/drink or touch are high so be prepared is all I can say.

As I've been there twice in five years I think it may be time to go to see Nacho and Luis in Spain for the 2012 Iberic meeting and on to north Africa for a few days via the Algeciras ferry. That'll cost about the same I think but we'll have two weeks of touring for the same money.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

colintf

Post by colintf » Mon Dec 06, 2010 5:14 pm

adrianclifford wrote:I know Hakan's organising of the EEOTY 2012 will not be as expensive but don't forget you will have to add six days of driving, three there and three back and four overnight hotels en route or the two rather expensive ferries required from Harwich-Esbjerg. Add the cost of the fuel, Oresund bridge crossing fees, lunches etc and you already start off with a bill of around €1,000 for a couple. Maybe even more if you are travelling from the north of the UK, consider even other crossings eg the 24 hour Newcastle-Gothenburg, it will be expensive whichever way you go. There are no direct ferries, as far as I know, from the UK to Helsingborg so you will have to ferry and/or drive at least once, you can avoid the Oresund (as we have done) by using the Puttgarden ferry but the cost is similar so enjoy the bridge/tunnel again if travelling from the UK.

I predict the cost will be in the €2,000 bracket once the prices and travel are put together, too much for a long weekend maybe ? You know the prices in Sweden for everything you eat/drink or touch are high so be prepared is all I can say.

As I've been there twice in five years I think it may be time to go to see Nacho and Luis in Spain for the 2012 Iberic meeting and on to north Africa for a few days via the Algeciras ferry. That'll cost about the same I think but we'll have two weeks of touring for the same money.
Hakan did a cracking job for us on this years Scandinavian MG Meet. It wasn't that expensive. 1st stop near Bremen the next night in Helsingborg so wasn't too bad, returned via the Denmark - Esbjerg ferry which if booked early enough wasn't bad either.

Spain sounds good along with S.Africa, but I'm heading for Sweden in 2012, but then it's good to have MG flags waving in many places each year.

:cool:

Colin Murrell

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 07, 2010 12:55 pm

Spain/Africa is just a plan, there are others for 2012, maybe Poland/Russia or even the Arctic Circle.

I have heard from Marina (who is on the board of the MGCC Belgium), she doesn't even know how much she has to pay and she's part of the organisation. I feel this is very disappointing to her as she really wanted to welcome her UK and European friends to "her club's" event, but we have had mail from Germany, Luxembourg, Denmark, Belgium and France all with the same complaint, it's too expensive.

colintf

Post by colintf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:51 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Spain/Africa is just a plan, there are others for 2012, maybe Poland/Russia or even the Arctic Circle.

I have heard from Marina (who is on the board of the MGCC Belgium), she doesn't even know how much she has to pay and she's part of the organisation. I feel this is very disappointing to her as she really wanted to welcome her UK and European friends to "her club's" event, but we have had mail from Germany, Luxembourg, Denmark, Belgium and France all with the same complaint, it's too expensive.
that's a real shame, i was looking forward to 2 great European gatherings next year Spa and MGFIM. Seems a lot of European friends won't be at Spa, and its gone very very quiet on MGFIM as well

8-)

Colin Murrell

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 5:58 pm

colintf wrote:... and its gone very very quiet on MGFIM as well

8-)
MGFIM11 Website.

Last updated 26th November 2010.

Things are happening.
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

colintf

Post by colintf » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:32 pm

sparky135 wrote:
colintf wrote:... and its gone very very quiet on MGFIM as well

8-)
MGFIM11 Website.

Last updated 26th November 2010.

Things are happening.
thanks John, I've been looking at their Forum site, but this has not been updated so missed it. thanks again! 8-)

Colin Murrell

sparky135
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MG TF Spark

Post by sparky135 » Tue Dec 07, 2010 6:34 pm

No probs Colin.

Just by chance I looked at the website for the first time in months the day it was updated. What are the chances?

I've bookmarked it now so will keep checking back regularly. If there are any updates I'll post them over here somewhere. :thumbsu:
John
MGF Register South Coast Regional Rep
south.coast@mgfregister.org
www.scrr.org.uk

VR 14/30
Regional Rep

Post by VR 14/30 » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:19 pm

adrianclifford wrote:Spain/Africa is just a plan, there are others for 2012, maybe Poland/Russia or even the Arctic Circle.

Adrian,

Thank you to explain my sadness about this EEOTY :( which is too expensive for many of my friends from various countries.
Hope to meet you all next year for other events. :thumbsu:

You may be sure to receive information about MGFIM11 in January; two of the organisers will marry in December.
(They have specified: not together! ;) )

After, they will develop the MGFIM project.

:chimney: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you !
Last edited by VR 14/30 on Sun Dec 12, 2010 1:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
MG'calement,

Marina.

colintf

Post by colintf » Sat Dec 11, 2010 5:52 pm

VR 14/30 wrote:

Adrian,

Thank you to explain my sadness about this EEOTY :( which is too expensive for many of my friends from various countries.
Hope to meet you all next year for other events. :thumbsu:

You may be sure to receive information about MGFIM12 in January; two of the organisers will marry in December.
(They have specified: not together! ;) )

Happy Christmas Marina

After, they will develop the MGFIM project.

:chimney: Merry Christmas and Happy New Year to all of you !
I WILL see you at Spa :)
Last edited by colintf on Sun Dec 19, 2010 2:32 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Colin Murrell

Flat Eric
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by Flat Eric » Sat Dec 18, 2010 10:17 pm

Hi Adrian,

Hope you are well.... we would be interested in the "Spain/Africa/Poland/Russia or even the Arctic Circle" ideas, especially the later. :thumbsu:

Like others, the EEoTY 2011 is not going to be on the radar at the current costs.

Stu. :thumbsu:

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Dec 21, 2010 11:21 am

Stu, the forum is the place to keep up to date (although I hope we meet again during the year of course). By the way did you get booked for Laon ?