EEOTY 2009

Europe wide chat.

Moderator: Committee Members

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

EEOTY 2009

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:35 pm

As some of you already know, the main European event next year is in Norway from June 10th - 14th (the predicted date for Silverstone as it happens).

Few details are available at the moment, what we do know is that it is on the west coast, north of Bergen in an area of outstanding beauty known as Geraingerfjord. The nearest town is Alesund.

There are no direct ferries from the UK as DFDS are withdrawing their services after September 1st, so it will be two ferries to get to Norway then drive the rest of the way (Harwich - Esbjerg / Hirtshals - Kristiansand).

If you're interested in an adventure, drop me a line and we'll keep in touch.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Keith Williams
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Re: EEOTY 2009

Post by Keith Williams » Wed Jun 11, 2008 5:56 pm

Geraingerfjord is a brilliant area with some great switch back roads in and out of the fjord.

Absolutely beautiful on a hot sunny day seeing the cruise ships in the fjord. Many a memory bought back already from my last trip there :)

http://hometown.aol.co.uk/kwil35/Norway ... epage.html

I am amazed DFDS have cancelled that route - it was a real popular over night trip with good food on board. Party night before an early drive off the boat.
Last edited by Keith Williams on Wed Jun 11, 2008 10:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Jun 11, 2008 6:35 pm

this sounds good to me!

8-)

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Jun 11, 2008 11:14 pm

I have calculated the distances from Esbjerg (Denmark) to Hirtshals (Denmark) for the ferry to be 216 miles. From Kristiansand (Norway) to Alesund (Norway) to be 557 miles, therefore approximate total driving distance is 773 miles.

These are calculated on recommended routes not neccesarily the shortest distances.

DFDS Ferries Harwich - Esbjerg are three times weekly, predicted cost for June 2009 is £456 return, approximately 20 hour crossing.
Color Line ferries from Denmark to Norway are showing at €125 (about £100) return and 3 hours 20 minutes crossing.
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jun 12, 2008 9:12 am

Newcastle to Bergen then 220 Miles.
It was a bit too cold skiing in Voss 35 years ago.
Geoff F.
OOPS. I thought that it was the old Harwich to Bergen that was stopping but now find that it is the Newcastle to Bergen. Must replan.
It will have to be at least a two week trip.
Who is up for a nice long tour rather than a long weekend dash ??
G.F
Last edited by Geoff.F on Sun Jun 15, 2008 5:44 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kjeld Andersen
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1,8 MPI

Post by Kjeld Andersen » Fri Jun 13, 2008 9:36 pm

Hi all,

Nice to see the EEOTY is in one of the most beautiful places in the world.
Just a little hint. Don`t think about hotels in Norway, as they cost to much. At all campsites, they have
small cabins you can have for small amounts. Normaly they are with 4 beds, and freeze, cooker, and you
you use the toilets and bath that the campsite has for all to use. A nice and cheap way to do it. A way to be
a camper, whitout having the trouble with the tent.
As i have been there a lot of times, let me know if i can help, and hope i will be able to go there, but
think that we again have a meeting on the Le Mans weekend, WHY??, so i will be off to France.

Kjeld

colintf

Post by colintf » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:22 pm

Hi and welcome Kjeld!

thankyou for the information!

8-)

Colin Murrell

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Jun 15, 2008 8:46 pm

The best campsite in Geiranger is right on the lake. A beautiful view with babling water behind. :D

I spoke to the guys advertising the event today and they were very interested in us visting them next year. So much so, he insisted on giving me a pile of their information leaflets. I had intended getting an extra one or two incase any one did not attend Silverstone this weekend who might have been interested (& one specifically for Adrian - I will post it down to you assuming I can find your address again assuming no one has already picked you one up) but luckily managed to stop him giving me a whole box of them but still ended up with 30 or so. I will bring them to Fest if anyone is interested or will scan them if I can at work to pass out more easily before then.

There may be a chance that a new ferry from Newcastle will emerge according to the friendly Norwegian but we will have to watch this space. There is also another route to Norway he mentioned via Scotland on the Symril line - Aberdeen via Lerwick to Bergen. Might be worth a look see ?

updated: brochure can be accessed via their web site http://www.nmgk.no/: Saves me a scan :)

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:15 pm

Keith Williams wrote:updated: brochure can be accessed via their web site http://www.nmgk.no/: Saves me a scan :)
As can the Registration Application.
Geoff F.

colintf

Post by colintf » Sun Jun 15, 2008 9:42 pm

Keith Williams wrote:The best campsite in Geiranger is right on the lake. A beautiful view with babling water behind. :D

I spoke to the guys advertising the event today and they were very interested in us visting them next year. So much so, he insisted on giving me a pile of their information leaflets. I had intended getting an extra one or two incase any one did not attend Silverstone this weekend who might have been interested (& one specifically for Adrian - I will post it down to you assuming I can find your address again assuming no one has already picked you one up) but luckily managed to stop him giving me a whole box of them but still ended up with 30 or so. I will bring them to Fest if anyone is interested or will scan them if I can at work to pass out more easily before then.

There may be a chance that a new ferry from Newcastle will emerge according to the friendly Norwegian but we will have to watch this space. There is also another route to Norway he mentioned via Scotland on the Symril line - Aberdeen via Lerwick to Bergen. Might be worth a look see ?

updated: brochure can be accessed via their web site http://www.nmgk.no/: Saves me a scan :)
nice one Keith - I meant to revisit their stand today - but failed! I have a leaflet though!

8-)

Colin Murrell

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Tue Jun 17, 2008 9:51 am

Thanks Keith, will I see you on Sunday at MG's in the trees ?, we can talk then.

I am planning a meeting with all interested parties while we are in Zug, Hakan and Per Ove will add some details so we can make a best appraisal.

Keep looking at options, I still favour the Esbjerg route though, but there is time yet no worry. It seems rather strange to drive to Aberdeen and miss out on the roads of Norway when we are travelling to Norway !

Thanks Kjeld, I like the idea of the camp-sites, can you look in to this for us for both journies up and down. By the way, don't forget to let me know what time you are getting off the train for the Welsh weekend so we can meet up at the Services as we spoke about.

Spring 2009 is already looking busy :

Last weekend in May is the Octagon Tour, June 6-7 is the Tour de Lux, June 10-14 EEOTY and the first weekend in July is the Swedish National event.

Keith Williams

Post by Keith Williams » Tue Jun 17, 2008 10:19 am

Yes, I will be at the MG's in the trees on Sunday Adrian - with a boot full of brochures :D Should be there with my brother & family in his MGB for this event. I may even have my nephews wife as a navigator so that will be a change to not to read the route myself. See you there.

colintf

Post by colintf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:25 pm

Registered today :)

8-)

Colin Murrell

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:46 pm

That's at least three of our cars going then Colin as Dave and Carol have also registered today.

colintf

Post by colintf » Thu Jun 26, 2008 6:58 pm

fantastic - have MG will travel!

8-)

Colin Murrell

YOUNG
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: TF Spark

Post by YOUNG » Thu Jun 26, 2008 8:45 pm

Registration completed for 2009 Simon

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Thu Jun 26, 2008 9:23 pm

We are Registered No 66.
Our tentative plans are Harwich - Esbjerg taking 6 days to the event, extending to 6 days in Geiranger and then 6 days to return to UK. This works at approximately one days holiday for each 100 miles travelled with a minimum of two nights at most stops.
Geoff F

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 27, 2008 4:10 pm

Steinar has just told me that, as of this morning, those cars that have registered will be in the main Union Hotel, not the subsidiary.

So, if you are interested get your application in now, I have asked him to hold on to some rooms there for the MGF Register so be quick.

adrianclifford

Post by adrianclifford » Fri Jun 27, 2008 7:01 pm

That's at least 6 now, Dieter and Rosi are coming :) :thumbsu: :thumbsu:

Make that 7 now.

Adrian & Dawn
Colin
Dave & Carol
Geoff & Anne
Simon & Ann
Dieter & Rosi
Neil & Barbara

Dieter K
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: '99 MGF 1.8i

Post by Dieter K » Fri Jun 27, 2008 11:44 pm

Ooops, missed this thread. Now I'm with you :D
Yep, we can't let you go alone, registerd with No 152 .. and hope we need not change our mind 8-) :D
Coming from the south I think we could go almost together, in case of your Esbjerg ferry option.

We'd prefer it similar to what Geoff said, but going up quicker than 6 days and back home with some overnight breaks. 6 might be OK.
In memory on my first (and only) visit in Norway 39 years ago, I recall the so called Atlanticway,100 miles north of Geiranger. Kjeld mentioned it in an email.....
It's Road No 64 http://tinyurl.com/6xfepx
Want to visit again 40 years later :roll:
MGF 1.8i, PTS. HEF-MG96