New MGF Owner

New to the MGF Register? Pop in here and introduce yourself, find out what your local region is and view some useful links!

Moderator: Committee Members

Richy
MGF Register Region: Midlands

New MGF Owner

Post by Richy » Mon Mar 23, 2015 6:29 pm

Hi All,

I've bought my first MGF 1.8VVC, and I got given MGCC membership as a birthday present (22 today)!

I got it quite cheap so it needs a bit of work doing (and I'm not exactly a grease monkey!). I've managed to get one of the problems diagnosed, which is the Clutch Slave Cylinder appears to be on its way out and I couldn't get the car in to gear, so after a few pumps of the clutch it managed to get in gears!

Another problem, which I haven't really been able to sort is the Engine Idle, the Revs don't stay below 1.2k and will just Rev uncontrollably (and I've even had the engine cut out because of this once or twice?)

And lastly, which I think is the biggest worry from what I've noticed so far is that the engine is making an awful noise, like a loud knocking sound... as I'm not really clued up on these things, I can only guess it's one of the belts causing it.

If anyone has any advice on the above (or in general for a car that I haven't got much history on) I'd be very greatful!

I look forward to meeting and talking to you all in the future.

Thanks, Rich!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: New MGF Owner

Post by talkingcars » Mon Mar 23, 2015 8:46 pm

Hi and welcome to the forum and happy birthday.

If you search the forums you should find most of the problems you list.

James
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

nigelandjo
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: TF85th,TF135,Trophy

Post by nigelandjo » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:10 pm

Hello and welcome. Register your details here: http://www.mgfregister.org/register/ and I'll send you a Welcome Pack.

You might find posting your technical query in the Technical section will result in more replies. Hope you get the car sorted.
Nigel May
Somerset & Dorset Regional Rep, Membership Secretary, Registrar & Archivist
Email: somerset.dorset@mgfregister.org
members@mgfregister.org

MGCC Members register here: https://mgfregister.org/?page_id=319

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Mon Mar 23, 2015 9:33 pm

Hello and welcome! Hope you enjoy the car once these minor things are sorted.

High idle, turn the key to position 2 and stamp on the accelerator pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, turn the ignition off and then on again- that'll reset the throttle sensor. Failing that, check the cable to the throttle body isn't impaired or kinked etc.

Cam belts need doing every 4 years or at 60,000 whatever comes first. Being a VVC it's quite normal for the mechanisms to be quite loud, especially on startup. You may find new cam belts will quieten this down a bit as they'll hold it all with a bit more tension. Check any service records/receipts for the last cam belt change.

If it's noisy vvc mechs eg an unholy diesel like clatter from the top of the engine, then it's by no means catastrophic but just a bit irritating.

Right time to buy one of these great cars though, summer just round the corner and hopefully all these problems will be ironed out to your satisfaction. Post a picture of the car when you get a minute.

All the best,
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

Richy
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Richy » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:41 am

Thanks for the responses everyone, I think I'll take it to the Technical section as suggested.

Stuart - I've tried resetting the throttle sensor, and this did improve things slightly, but it's still not quite right!

I'll get some pictures up as soon as it's had a good clean :)

Rich

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Mar 24, 2015 9:08 pm

stuart wrote:....turn the key to position 2 and stamp on the accelerator pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, turn the ignition off and then on again- that'll reset the throttle sensor......
Not quite - the official MGR method is - ignition to position 2 but don't start the engine, firmly fully depress the gas peddle to floor and release 5 times in 30 seconds (no stamping), wait a further 30 seconds and start the engine.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Tue Mar 24, 2015 10:58 pm

talkingcars wrote:
stuart wrote:....turn the key to position 2 and stamp on the accelerator pedal 5 times in 5 seconds, turn the ignition off and then on again- that'll reset the throttle sensor......
Not quite - the official MGR method is - ignition to position 2 but don't start the engine, firmly fully depress the gas peddle to floor and release 5 times in 30 seconds (no stamping), wait a further 30 seconds and start the engine.
Like the man with the authopedic shoe, I stand corrected sir!
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change