French Battlefield tour 2013 more details

The region for Oxfordshire, South Bucks, Berkshire.

Moderator: Worzel

NoseyParker
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: Tf le500

French Battlefield tour 2013 more details

Post by NoseyParker » Sun Mar 10, 2013 4:14 pm

Hi All

I think i will begin now to call this the "Belgium Tour" as thats where are are going!!!

Below is the beginnings of an itinery which will allow people interested to book hotel rooms and crossings. For those already spoken too namely

Simon and Anne
Stan and Jane
John and Trish
Rob and Di

Rooms have been provisionally been booked for you at the hotel below. All you will need to do is book and pay for your crossing via Eurotunnel.

Friday 31/5/13 meet at Eurotunnel Folkstone at 11.30am for the crossing of 12.50pm (they want you to get on the train fairly early and by the time everyone refreshes themselves from the M25 time runs out very quickly!!)

Arrive French time in Calais at approx 14.30pm for a slow drive into Belgium toward Ypres where we will stay just outside the town at the Best Western "Flanders Lodge" see link below.

I will leave Friday evening up to you guys for food and entertainment etc and maybe meet back in the bar later in the evening to plan the following days run.

Saturday 1/6/13 we will set off and visit two or three memorials/museums including Tyne cot cemetery at Passendale, Sanctuary Wood and Museum. Get back to the hotel to freshen up before heading out early evening into Ypres centre have something to eat and then watch the "Last Post" at the Menin Gate at 8pm: http://www.greatwar.co.uk/events/menin- ... remony.htm.

Sunday the 2nd we will then head back to Calais for 11.30am to depart on the 12.50pm to arrive back in blighty "UK time" roughly 12.30pm

Best Western Hotel Flanders Field : http://www.bestwestern.co.uk/hotels/fla ... fault.aspx
Eurotunnel: http://www.eurotunnel.com

For anyone who would like to join us and i havent spoken with the rough costings are as follows:

Hotel is 96 euros per couple per night and the crossing showing on eurotunnel website at the moment return is £102 for the departure time suggest above. Food and drink is up to you!!! Once i have a clear idea of saturdays movements i will prepare a route maps for the weekend but i suspect sat nav will play its part!!!

As always everyone is welcome either from other regions or indeed any newcomers to the thames valley region. I cant clearly guarantee any rooms will be left at the best western above but there are plenty of hotels available in that area. I will be at Basildon Park for the Chairmans Run if anyone wants to discuss it further look for the orange tf you cant miss it!!

à bientôt

Rob

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Re: French Battlefield tour 2013 more details

Post by Stan_B » Mon Mar 18, 2013 1:33 pm

Booked the tunnel as per the above, exciting isnt it

jminns
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Re: French Battlefield tour 2013 more details

Post by jminns » Fri Mar 22, 2013 5:03 pm