new boy needs advise on coolant loss

The region for Oxfordshire, South Bucks, Berkshire.

Moderator: Worzel

comboverelvis
MGF Register Region: South East

new boy needs advise on coolant loss

Post by comboverelvis » Mon Sep 10, 2012 8:56 pm

Hi

I am the proud owner of an MGF Trophy 160 but over the last few weeks I have had significant coolant loss. This only occurs when i have parked up and turned the engine off, when driving there is no sign of overheating but will lose the whole contents from the expansion tank within minutes of the engine being turned off. The coolant pools around the rear offside wheel. Is this a sign of the dreaded HGF ( according to service history the head gasket was replaced at 73k and the car has now done 81k) or could it hopefully be something cheaper.
Can anybody recommend a garage in Oxford area that could help.

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Re: new boy needs advise on coolant loss

Post by Stan_B » Mon Sep 10, 2012 9:40 pm

Hi, good choice of car and welcome. I dont think this is HGF. I dont understand it only leaking after you stop the car. However can you repost in the technical forum.If you are in luck it will have been seen before. Have you taken the access panel off to check the hoses that end of the block?

comboverelvis
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by comboverelvis » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:28 pm

Hi Stan, thanks for the reply and i hope that you are right about not being a HGF. I will post this on the technical forum. Cheers

Stan_B
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: tf 115

Post by Stan_B » Wed Sep 12, 2012 8:40 am

Even if it is head gasket there are forum recomended mobile guys who can fix it well and at a fair price. St. Russell being very popular. The reason you only see when standing may be its a slow leak from a hose so it cant puddle when moving. Water pumps can fail as well, I had mine changed at the cambelt service when I got the car,
Hopeto see you at a Thames Valley event soon.