Whats Your Total Spend...And Be Honest

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

john1964
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire

Whats Your Total Spend...And Be Honest

Post by john1964 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:03 pm

ok,so how much have you spent on
your f/tf from the purchase price to
where you are now,this includes every
thing from after market exhausts to
chrome hood catches,slightly embarrassed
to say i'm at over £3450...ouch!!

Martin_Bmth
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: Blue 1.8 2004 tf

Re: Whats Your Total Spend...And Be Honest

Post by Martin_Bmth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 8:56 pm

Ive just totted up what ive spent on my silver F in the last year....I dont get any change from £2700 ... they're proper money pits :)
Had the headgasket, water pump and belts changed and a cylinder liner shimmed (classic newbie - buying a pup) ;-) as soon as i got her.
Had a little paintwork to tidy up some surface rust.

She's had a front brake caliper seize so replaced and the alternator gave up.... running costs i guess :-)
But I do now have a hardtop, 11 spoke alloys, front splitter, cone air filter, 52mm throttle body (still to fit) and AP brakes (still to fit). All im hankering for now is the lowering pins so she sits a bit closer to the road. :thumbsu:

Still got less than 36.000 miles on the clock so hopefully this is a little money invested up front to give me a few years of driving pleasure.... im not holding out for the residual value to improve to get my money back. :D

If I could ask the moderators to remove this post if my wife ever registers on this site it would be much appreciated :sf: :lol:
Former owner of Zippy the Blue 2004 TF
Joker the Tahiti Blue Metro
Tahiti Blue R216 Cabriolet

mgfsoldier
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by mgfsoldier » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:09 pm

Got to be close to £2000 by now after the head gasket and 4 new tyres but if you look at my PROJECT SCRAPHEAP thread you will see there isn't much left of the original car, I have 2 wings upstairs to fit still aswell within that money.

Saying that I also started with a £100 interior and sold it for £350 then went and invested that in a project TF so will have doubled that again soon so it is possible to make money back on these cars aswell
Last edited by mgfsoldier on Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:09 pm, edited 2 times in total.

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:36 pm

£225 for the car, £80 in bits to sort head and £30 for skin and pressure check of head, car then car would have been back on road but because shes going to be a keeper I spent £55 on discs and front pads, £55 new rear calliper with £5 gen rear pads, service items oil, filter, etc including cam belt and pump, (two crap gen rad caps) thermostat total £68.95, antifreez £0, two front tyres £0, ht leads £10, just sorting the polo expansion bottle upgrade due to overheat on motorway last week £8 and replacing the coils because of re occurring stutter estimated £40.

I did buy the car from otherhalfs mate because otherwise it was going to be scraped due to coolant leak and subsequent possible hgf so they were after scrap money, went to look at her in their garage and i will say it was love at first sight.I was looking for another toy for garage as we had reluctantly and daftly sold our mx5 a few months ago but the f has become the love of my life, best thing I ever did and it doesn't matter how much it cost but being a Yorkshire man im glad its on the cheap. :thumbsu:

Martin_Bmth
Model of Car: Blue 1.8 2004 tf

Post by Martin_Bmth » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:48 pm

robbie1003 wrote:£225 for the car, £80 in bits to sort head and £30 for skin and pressure check of head, car then car would have been back on road but because shes going to be a keeper I spent £55 on discs and front pads, £55 new rear calliper with £5 gen rear pads, service items oil, filter, etc including cam belt and pump, (two crap gen rad caps) thermostat total £68.95, antifreez £0, two front tyres £0, ht leads £10, just sorting the polo expansion bottle upgrade due to overheat on motorway last week £8 and replacing the coils because of re occurring stutter estimated £40.

I did buy the car from otherhalfs mate because otherwise it was going to be scraped due to coolant leak and subsequent possible hgf so they were after scrap money, went to look at her in their garage and i will say it was love at first sight.I was looking for another toy for garage as we had reluctantly and daftly sold our mx5 a few months ago but the f has become the love of my life, best thing I ever did and it doesn't matter how much it cost but being a Yorkshire man im glad its on the cheap. :thumbsu:
Im interested in how you get on with the polo expansion tank. I fancy trying that at some point! The circuit board for the delay to avoid false alarms looked like the tricky bit. :-)
Former owner of Zippy the Blue 2004 TF
Joker the Tahiti Blue Metro
Tahiti Blue R216 Cabriolet

Bertl
MGF Register Region: Europe

Post by Bertl » Sun Dec 29, 2013 9:53 pm

the car itself
hardtop + vinyl to wrap it
4 new tyres
new badges
interior chrome rings
and a new wiper linkage recently

€2250.00 well spent... (£1880.00)

oh, and two MG badged baseball caps...

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Sun Dec 29, 2013 10:08 pm

Lets see!!!
Car-£1200
chip fix-£300
HRW switch relay and fixing,new heater speed switch plus heater working£270
mats-£25.

hopefully a cambelt service and wheel refurb before spring arrives...it just never ends!!...
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:03 am

In the 4 years of ownership I have spent more on fuel, tax and insurance than I have on repairs and upgrades.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Charless
Model of Car: 96 Mpi, 99 VVC

Post by Charless » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:20 am

£11649.24 but that includes the car and all the tyres, oil, garage bills, service items, upgrades, MOTs and bulbs for 130000 miles - pretty good value - and it is still a hoot to drive!
Last edited by Charless on Wed Jan 01, 2014 4:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Mon Dec 30, 2013 9:57 am

Cost of car = £3000

Last year, I paid £250 for a new set of wheels, £560 VHS kit, £108 coolant alarm and refurbished the brakes for approx £300.

This year I've spent:

60k service at Brown and Gammons = £550
New vvc mechanisms = £900
Interior bling = £150 approx
New roof and glass window = £250
New battery = £75
Paintwork = £200
Original set of unused seat covers (a very lucky find!) = £130
New radiator = £100

Next year:

Daytona exhaust and sports cat.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 10:14 am

Martin_Bmth wrote:
robbie1003 wrote:£225 for the car, £80 in bits to sort head and £30 for skin and pressure check of head, car then car would have been back on road but because shes going to be a keeper I spent £55 on discs and front pads, £55 new rear calliper with £5 gen rear pads, service items oil, filter, etc including cam belt and pump, (two crap gen rad caps) thermostat total £68.95, antifreez £0, two front tyres £0, ht leads £10, just sorting the polo expansion bottle upgrade due to overheat on motorway last week £8 and replacing the coils because of re occurring stutter estimated £40.

Im interested in how you get on with the polo expansion tank. I fancy trying that at some point! The circuit board for the delay to avoid false alarms looked like the tricky bit. :-)
don't plan on the level warning fitting at first, going to see how it goes first, might even just fit it to a buzzer on the bulkhead, I watch the levels like a hawk anyway. Shouldnt need a delay as the bottle is double skinned so the float is kept steady.

Barred
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Barred » Mon Dec 30, 2013 11:09 am

Car: £2,500
MG Mats: £16
Tonneau £16
Insurance (around) £300
Plug in Voltmeter £2.50

Miles travelled less than 300 so far. Every one a smile though :)

Plans for next year:

Use it more!
Possibly swap the wheels for VVC ones and new tyres.
And I'm being talked into a more sporty sounding exhaust... but I probably won't do it unless the current one fails
Do not invert, contents liable to spill.

mgf1690
MGF Register Region: Scotland

Post by mgf1690 » Mon Dec 30, 2013 12:03 pm

well over £12k thats just off the top of my head since purchase in 2000!! I do have a guaranteed value of £4.5k from the ins company which is not bad for a 1999 vvc. I still have to spend a bit more on it as it needs a few wee niggly things fixed but as I am not driving it just now ill leave spending any more til the spring time.

chrisrigby
Model of Car: MGF Abingdon LE VVC

Post by chrisrigby » Wed Jan 01, 2014 8:24 pm

Car £200

MOT £25 parts to get it through £45

Service £60 initial minor service

Set of anniversary 16" wheels ready to refurb that I will do myself, materials purchased to do them.. so about £80 all in

Miltec twin tip exhaust £100

Other minor parts bought from the yard but costs covered by selling on other bits inc K&N induction kit, 52mm TB, bulbs ect

VVC head purchased to put frankenstien back to as it should be £50

Cambelt VVC kit, water pump, thermostat, oil plus filter and head gasket replacement kit £165 (not yet purchased)

£725 so all in but I haven't included road tax. :D

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Thu Jan 02, 2014 10:29 am

There is absolutely no way I am going to work this out! My car is 18years old this month - and I bought it new!!! So if you think you've spent a lot, I've spent more, so nah-nah-de-nah-nah! :p :lol:

Except that I suspect that Andy Philips has probably spend twice as much as me ;) He bought his car from the same dealership as me about a month or so later :lol: