MGTF vs Mazda MX5

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

MGTF vs Mazda MX5

Post by stuart » Sun Jan 12, 2014 10:56 am

Went with my Dad to see an Mazda MX5 yesterday- he's after an affordable toy to celebrate his retirement and to tinker with, after months of pushing the merits and virtues of the MG marque, he's duly gone and bought an MX5!!! An 03 plate in dark blue with matching hardtop, lots of extras including glass rear screen, decent induction system and roll hoops- being fair it's immaculate and low miles with full history so fair play to Dad!

Initial thoughts are it ain't as quick as my car, its a much softer ride though and the cabin is more cramped,but as my Dad pointed out, "at least the engine is where it should be son"

He's happy, and I look forward to putting it through its paces- still like my car better by comparison though ;)
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: MGTF vs Mazda MX5

Post by talkingcars » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:29 am

It'd be a bit strange to have a mid engine car with the engine at the front!
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:35 am

hope he enjoys his new toy, they are ok but in my view arnt as good in the driving feel as a mgf/tf. we had a mx5 and to be fair its grip was poor, felt dangerous when driving at nominal speed around the bends in the wet, yes change tyres and geo checks but they were made in standard form to have low grip to give you fun at low speed. still amazes me how much more grip and more punchy the f is compared to the mx5, miss it in a way as our 5 was a mint mk1 but enjoy the f much more.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Sun Jan 12, 2014 11:47 am

I have to say that I enjoyed the drive home in my TF much more than the test drive of the MX5. I'll be a good comparison though as I get to drive it more. both cars are a year apart in manufacture, both ride on Bilstein shocks. I felt more connected with my TF in terms of more feel through the steering and the driving position is way better- it may be just familiarity or just that the MX5 was too soft to feel really connected with what the car was doing.

I'd rather push my car hard through a bend than the Mazda.

Interesting to drive an MX5 though, less sporty definitely
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

robbie1003
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: mgf 1.8mpi mk2

Post by robbie1003 » Sun Jan 12, 2014 12:14 pm

ours was fitted with the lsd rear axel so when it broke traction it didn't wheel spin it just pointed your arse where you didn't want it with with very little warning, imsure uprated suspension will make a difference but to me thats spending money on something it should allready have. there is a power loss through a longer powertrain setup but the advantage of the gear stick actually being directly connected to the box is a nice feel.

diesel destroyer
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF GT

Post by diesel destroyer » Sun Jan 12, 2014 9:56 pm

For a car with the engine in the front.. The boot is seriously small..

Lots of wind/ engine noise too on the motorway.. At speed..

But I do like em

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 3:24 pm

I used to own an RS MK1, it was lowered, enkei white alloys, stainless zorst,induction, lsd, water inj, jackson supercharger,198.6 bhp loads more!! It was brilliant fun, but I do have this "infinity" with the MG marque!!! ;)
DSCF0005a.JPG
Another pic!!
Another pic!!
Here it is!!
Here it is!!
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

austingarages
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF135

Post by austingarages » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:00 pm

Must one of those new Japanese sports cars! :lol:

I have driven a few MX5s, but allways prefered the drive of the F/TF :thumbsu:
Nick and Jean

'02 TF 135 ours, '95 VVC his, '97 VVC hers!

c13amb
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by c13amb » Tue Jan 14, 2014 4:31 pm

Very good,I like that... but it was quicker than that but it wasnt as comfy :lol:
My cars..MY04 '54 MGTF135 in Yas Marina Blue!!!

MY13'63 AUDI Q7 S-LINE 3Ltr. In ibis white!!!

Barred
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by Barred » Tue Jan 14, 2014 6:19 pm

c13amb wrote:I used to own an RS MK1, it was lowered, enkei white alloys, stainless zorst,induction, lsd, water inj, jackson supercharger,198.6 bhp loads more!! It was brilliant fun, but I do have this "infinity" with the MG marque!!! ;)
DSCF0005a.JPG
Some ones faired in your air intakes.... take it back.
Do not invert, contents liable to spill.

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Wed Jan 15, 2014 6:10 pm

My wife used to have a Mk1 V-Spec MX5. It was auto so it was slower than the stick shift and I thought the ride quality on standard 14" alloys was pretty harsh. That said, it was mechanically bullet proof and totally reliable, but the MGF Stepspeed she has now is quicker, handles better, is more comfortable and much more economical - oh and I think it looks a million dollars, but then I'm biased :D . We'll have to see how it fairs on the reliability stakes though as it's a fairly new purchase. However, we should probably be grateful for the MX5 because without it, the MGF/TF may never have been developed. After all it did reignite the two seat roadster market. That said, I'll take the MG in a heartbeat!