So I bought a BMW Boot Rack..

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

So I bought a BMW Boot Rack..

Post by ashleyfrazer » Wed Jan 14, 2015 8:19 pm

Hi

I am hoping someone can help.

I bought a BMW Boot Rack that needs to be drilled to attach to the boot. Now aside from which rack is better and should you drill the boot I have an issue. One of the handles that goes in the boot is quite rusty so I thought it might be good to try and replace it. I did a number of searches on google but I could not find it. So I thought I would contact the manufacturer because lets face BWM is supposed to be a premium brand.
(For those of you thinking - why BMW? Well Rover was owned by BMW when the MGF was built and shared the same boot rack as the Z3).

I tried a number of BMW dealers world wide but no luck. So contact Customer Services but they seem unwilling to help.

So has anyone got a spare handled nut or can anyone tell me if its a fixing available anywhere else? (The one in the picture is not the rusty one)
Picture of Rack handle
Picture of Rack handle
Thanks

ash

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Re: So I bought a BMW Boot Rack..

Post by Plezier » Wed Jan 14, 2015 9:10 pm

Sorry Ash but your finding out what we did when working as a recovery truck driver ................................................... the vast majority of BMW dealers are real a-holes. Totally unhelpful and pretty darned useless except at taking your money .................................... they have that down to a fine art. It seems MW them selves are not much better.

You may have to resort to BMW forums ....................................... good luck with that.

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Wed Jan 14, 2015 10:36 pm

It may be BMW/MGR however for the "F" you require two strengthening bars for the underside of the single panel lid or you will have 4 large dishes.
If it is Stainless Steel then it will be BMW or later MGR if it is chrome. SS does not rust.
Put it in deruster and buy some silver paint.
Geoff F.

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Thu Jan 15, 2015 10:58 am

Hi
Thanks Geoff. I have the bars as you describe.

I need some new washers too. Its the lack of them that let the handle go rusty in the first place.

Ash

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu Jan 15, 2015 11:02 am

Geoff.F wrote:It may be BMW/MGR however for the "F" you require two strengthening bars for the underside of the single panel lid or you will have 4 large dishes.
If it is Stainless Steel then it will be BMW or later MGR if it is chrome. SS does not rust.
Put it in deruster and buy some silver paint.
Geoff F.
Actually Stainless is called that beucause it rusts LESS than carbon steel. Stainless Steel is a mine field due to the amount of types there are and some will not rust but are weak and soft as a general rule. Some are hard and brittle and it will rust. Some cannot be welded and soem can as I say tis a mine field. Then there is a whole swathe of grades in between. I beleive you will find if you added them all up you would have many hundreds fo grades of the three main types of Stainless steel.

MGFMania
MGF Register Region: North West

Post by MGFMania » Thu Jan 15, 2015 12:25 pm

We just rubbed down and painted our fixings. We use M10 30mm stainless button headed bolts with nylon wingnuts to blank the holes, these and M10 washers are plentiful on ebay

Geoff.F

Post by Geoff.F » Fri Jan 16, 2015 12:59 pm

Plezier wrote: Actually Stainless :::::::::::: Stainless steel.
Yes, I know all that having retired after 40 years in the aircraft buisness. That is why I repeatedly write on here telling people not to use SS to replace rusted HT. I you want HT and no rust then you can cadmium plate but then they are not affordable for the MGF motorist.
I have had the SS boot rack for 13 years and a 2nd MS Chrome plated came along with a scrap bootlid (for spares). The chrome was completely off the mountings so I bought a SS Kit and sold it on.
Geoff F.

austingarages
Model of Car: MG TF135

Post by austingarages » Sat Jan 17, 2015 12:59 am

BMW part number is 82799405840

A version of this rack was also available for Rover 75 with the same fixings...
Nick and Jean

'02 TF 135 ours, '95 VVC his, '97 VVC hers!

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Sat Jan 17, 2015 8:27 am

Geoff.F wrote:
Plezier wrote: Actually Stainless :::::::::::: Stainless steel.
Yes, I know all that having retired after 40 years in the aircraft buisness. That is why I repeatedly write on here telling people not to use SS to replace rusted HT. I you want HT and no rust then you can cadmium plate but then they are not affordable for the MGF motorist.
I have had the SS boot rack for 13 years and a 2nd MS Chrome plated came along with a scrap bootlid (for spares). The chrome was completely off the mountings so I bought a SS Kit and sold it on.
Geoff F.
I am glad that you know the difference the problem is that the majority do not and just beleive the sales hype.

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Tue Jan 20, 2015 1:22 pm

Update:

Still no luck with BMW (although I have a classic corporate response from their Customer Service.

"Thank you for your further email dated January 7, 2015, in relation to the parts you require for your MG Rover.

I can confirm that BMW sold MG Rover in May, 2000. With this in mind, regrettably, the parts you require can not be supplied by BMW. I trust that the information I have provided is of assistance to you.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. If I can be of further assistance again in the future, please feel free to contact me."

hmm - perhaps not. I guess at the end of the day its not a BMW and they don't make the Z3 any more so why should they care (well when I look to change my Jaguar I will not be looking at BMW)

Anyway I went to see an engineering company that make parts for racing and drift cars etc (they have worked on the MG previously). Within 5 minutes of arriving they had separated the rusty thread from the handled bolt (although I am claiming some credit because I soaked the whole lot in penetrating fluid for a week before hand - still could not remove it!) without damaging either. They are also going to zinc plate the rusty handles (cadmium was out of the budget) to try and stop it happening again. Once this is ready they are going to drill the boot and fit the rack etc. I hope it will be done before Stoneleigh.

ash

Glenn Neilson
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: MGTF 85th

Post by Glenn Neilson » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:52 pm

ashleyfrazer wrote:Hi

I am hoping someone can help.

I bought a BMW Boot Rack that needs to be drilled to attach to the boot. Now aside from which rack is better and should you drill the boot I have an issue. One of the handles that goes in the boot is quite rusty so I thought it might be good to try and replace it. I did a number of searches on google but I could not find it. So I thought I would contact the manufacturer because lets face BWM is supposed to be a premium brand.
(For those of you thinking - why BMW? Well Rover was owned by BMW when the MGF was built and shared the same boot rack as the Z3).

I tried a number of BMW dealers world wide but no luck. So contact Customer Services but they seem unwilling to help.

So has anyone got a spare handled nut or can anyone tell me if its a fixing available anywhere else? (The one in the picture is not the rusty one)
20150114_194542.jpg
Thanks

ash
Sounds like you found a solution to your problem but If it helps I came across the ref number for the part you were after

82799405840 $9.50

If you go into the description of ebay link and select z3 rack it opens up all the part numbers of the rack.

http://pages.ebay.com/link/?nav=item.vi ... 1487176850

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Thu Jan 22, 2015 6:42 pm

Thanks. I had seen that page. I even offered the part number to the customer service people. They just didn't want to know.
Ash

Tipper
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: RV8 + ZS180

Post by Tipper » Thu Jan 22, 2015 7:40 pm

I find BMMINIPARTS.com is a good place to get BMW parts. :thumbsu: Albeit for my 2007 BMW E91!

Also REalOEM parts catalogue is good for part numbers.

http://www.realoem.com/bmw/showparts.do ... 51&lang=en

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Fri Jan 30, 2015 6:40 pm

If you fancy a brand new bmw rack with all the fitting kit search for item number 221675491372. Its black rather than silver and not a bad price when you think its new. Ash

beefio
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC BRG

Post by beefio » Sat Jun 02, 2018 6:43 am

ashleyfrazer wrote:Update:

Still no luck with BMW (although I have a classic corporate response from their Customer Service.

"Thank you for your further email dated January 7, 2015, in relation to the parts you require for your MG Rover.

I can confirm that BMW sold MG Rover in May, 2000. With this in mind, regrettably, the parts you require can not be supplied by BMW. I trust that the information I have provided is of assistance to you.

I am sorry for any inconvenience that this may have caused you. If I can be of further assistance again in the future, please feel free to contact me."

hmm - perhaps not. I guess at the end of the day its not a BMW and they don't make the Z3 any more so why should they care (well when I look to change my Jaguar I will not be looking at BMW)

Anyway I went to see an engineering company that make parts for racing and drift cars etc (they have worked on the MG previously). Within 5 minutes of arriving they had separated the rusty thread from the handled bolt (although I am claiming some credit because I soaked the whole lot in penetrating fluid for a week before hand - still could not remove it!) without damaging either. They are also going to zinc plate the rusty handles (cadmium was out of the budget) to try and stop it happening again. Once this is ready they are going to drill the boot and fit the rack etc. I hope it will be done before Stoneleigh.

ash
Hi Ash

I need one of these, who was the engineering company you used?

Cheers

Stuart

ashleyfrazer

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sat Jun 02, 2018 10:38 pm

Hi. Their day job is performance Japanese cars. http://www.autotorque.net/
Looks like they moved since I saw them last. if you want to come and take some pictures and measurements let me know. Note. The engineery Company put the rack on but I had to find it and the bars that go in the boot first. Ash