what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Db09
MGF Register Region: Cotswolds
Model of Car: Volcano orange f

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by Db09 » Wed Feb 18, 2015 8:14 pm

Took George to Surrey all went well it's a bit nerve racking taking a car for its first long run checking oil and temp guages trying to hear foe loose bits , suspension noises and rattles .
All ok .
One thing not sure about when we put the heater on the seats felt like they where heating up ?
No switch on dash but seat bottoms and lower part so seat backs got warm .
Could it be wired into the heater?
With suspension upgrades it felt funny at first nothing like mo . Took bad Surrey roads well .
Once we got to Surrey the top came down came all the way home with top down .
Diane had a cold neck so pulled into services to put her coat on .
If anyone would have said to me last year that I would be doing 70on the motorway in February with soft top down I would have told them they where mad but the heater kept cab warm .
If it's dry tomorrow I'm going to finish off cleaning and feeding the leather seats. And give George a wash and polish .

Plezier
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 75th

Post by Plezier » Thu Feb 19, 2015 9:48 am

I have noticed that if you have the heating on hot and direct the flow so it's about half way between floor and screen the air flows under the seats and up the angled bulkhead and does warm the rump and lower back.

alect
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 VVC

Post by alect » Sat Feb 21, 2015 2:49 pm

Very cold in the garage today but I managed to complete the fitting of my stainless exhaust manifold and TT MK 7 exhaust including refitting the heat shields, all very fiddly as access is extremly arkward.
Heat shields replaced so I wont be frying my alternator
Heat shields replaced so I wont be frying my alternator
I went to start the engine to hear what it sounds like but the battery is flat so on charge and will try a bit later.

I also managed to remove the gear lever quadrant so I can replace it with an MG Mania conversion with solid links, the roll pin took a few wallops but gave eventually.

Came in for a warm up, back to the garage when I can feel my toes again.

alect

Post by alect » Sat Feb 21, 2015 4:23 pm

Warmed up a bit so back into the garage.
While I wait for the battery to charge I have fitted a new fuel filter as there is no mention of any new one fitted ever in the history and the old one appears to have been on since new almost 17 years, also changed the clutch hydraulic fluid for the same reason it had the colour of tomato soup.
Refited my new gear change quadrant got all the gears except reverse so a bit of adjustment required which can now wait until tomorrow.

ashleyfrazer
MGF Register Region: South Midlands
Model of Car: MGF 1.8 MK2

Post by ashleyfrazer » Sun Feb 22, 2015 2:22 pm

Hi

Finally got the car to the garage yesterday so they could fit the Z3 rack. (You might remember it did not want to go a couple of weeks ago and protested by breaking down near Thame!).

Cleaned the car ready for next week - although knowing my luck it will be just as dirty with road salt by the time I get there.

Pictures show car with the rack and case in place and with the rack removed - the chrome blanks cover the holes.
Rack and Case
Rack and Case
Chrome banks replace rack
Chrome banks replace rack
ash

RU58ALL
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: TF 135 / F Trophy

Post by RU58ALL » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:10 pm

adrianclifford wrote:
RU58ALL wrote:First i replaced my leather/alcantara seats out with these ....
20150208_162622.jpg
Can you guess which switches i wired in today?
20150208_161936.jpg
Nice job Russ, where did the switches come from (another MG or Rover I guess) ?
Sorry Adrian I haven't been on for a week, the switches came form Austin Garages, they were originally an option for a Scandinavian Streetwise. They worked really well yesterday on the FRL run.

And whilst I'm on during the course of the week had Tif's brake discs, pads, flexi's and brake fluid replaced, stainless coolant pipes fitted and fresh coolant, oil and filters changed and a standard back box fitted. Yesterday I gave Tif a damn good clean, replaced the rear bumper, checked all the fluids, replaced the headlamp bulbs with nightbreakers and then drove 300 miles on the FRL run.
The Home of Tif the TF & the as yet un-named 827SLi

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Sun Feb 22, 2015 9:42 pm

Found the switches:

for MGF Mk1: YUG101870PMP (still available from XPart)
for MGF Mk2/TF: YUG001010PMP (not listed on XPart part finder, back order at Rimmer’s)
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Feb 23, 2015 9:18 am

Thanks guys :thumbsu:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

alect

Post by alect » Tue Feb 24, 2015 3:38 pm

Today I changed the oil and filter, so completing a service on the engine so far new plugs, airfilter and fuel filter and now the oil.
The oil filter wes very tight probably been on there for years and the oil, whilst it looked cleanish on the dipstick, was as black as tar, now fill of fully synthetic

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu Feb 26, 2015 10:57 am

Today it's peeing it down :cry: but yesterday "Elsie" got some chrome 3 ring rear lights:-

Just after fitting.

Then went for a drive and she got a clean:-

It seems that I need to take them back off clean the body under them and seal with some silicone as they don't seem to have any seals.

Then in the afternoon she got a TV5 52mm Throttle Body fitted in place of the modified de-wedge 48mm TV1 that she has had since just after we got her last year. I was surprised at the improvement in throttle response this gives. Just need to improve the induction set up now.

The plan was the clean the body against which the lights seal today and seal with silicone but as I said it's tipping down with rain and as I have to do this in the open on the drive ............................ rain cancels play! :thumbsd:

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by Forrester » Thu Feb 26, 2015 11:27 pm

Looking good mate.

Mykel
Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Fri Feb 27, 2015 12:47 pm

Just out of interest ... which kind of spacers did you use to fit the hairpins over the AP calipers? Afaik 5mm would give just enough clearance for the rims, but how about the balancing weights?
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

robs12
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by robs12 » Sat Feb 28, 2015 7:03 pm

Four new lower damper bushes. The fronts were in pretty poor shape...

Surprisingly only an advisory on the MOT a couple of weeks ago!

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Sun Mar 01, 2015 6:59 pm

Finished off my Toyosport exhaust install with a mesh.
IMG_20150301_124347.jpg
Finished off the DRL controller wiring
IMG_20150301_152017.jpg
IMG_20150301_142117.jpg
Fitted the LED side lights
IMG_20150301_151928.jpg
Admired the HID's !
IMG_20150301_151853.jpg
Went out for a drive, top down, heater on!

Very productive Sunday.

Plezier

Post by Plezier » Thu Mar 05, 2015 11:00 am

Wednesday (Yesterday) got the lower speedo cable fitted that I picked up from Jill & Darren at Stoneleigh. Before fitting had pulled the inner out and coiled it up then sat it submerged is a dish of motor oil. The outer was flushed through with WD40 then oiled using the oil from the dish now in an oil can. The inner was further grased as it was put into the outer. Hopefully this should provide long term lubrication and protection.

Routing the cable was a bit of a pain and getting the cable fitted to the drive proved interesting. Note here for those whom only have metric spanners .............................The nut on the lower cable is 13/16" size and looking at the cable I wonder if this is a part from an original Mini???

Anyway once fitted and tested by starting engine and putting into gear with both rear wheels up in the air speedo was workign fine and EPAS light went out :thumbsu: . Later test driving confrimed that the speedo is more stable with a lot less flickerign below 30mph than the old cable. Possibly due to the extra lubrication?

Before the engine acess panel was fitted the entire engine bay was washed down with Gunk degreaser from a hand spray bottle the once it had time to work pressure washed off to the engine is clean even if it's not polished, blinged up. Any leaks wil be easier to spot now plus one will not get all greased or oiled up when servicing.

Today (Thursday) it's jack up remove front wheels, grease upper arms, and clean wheels inside and out and the under arch area..

50dwill
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by 50dwill » Thu Mar 05, 2015 3:05 pm

Tried to adjust the top window gaps to keep out some of the rain, lubricated all the window slides looked like they had never seen any oil or Greece. Then did a bit of body work to the rust on the normal areas, just need a bit of warm weather now and get the spray gun out.

dgk3dr
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by dgk3dr » Thu Mar 05, 2015 8:55 pm

changed plugs,air filter checked tightness off inlet manifold running much smoother now and adjusted headlamps

followed by a ride out 8-) :D

924Rothmans
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire
Model of Car: MGF

Post by 924Rothmans » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:17 pm

Fitted a new old tax Disc :D
Attachments
100_7766.JPG

50dwill
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by 50dwill » Fri Mar 06, 2015 6:37 pm

Nothing done to it but had a great run out in the peak district with the roof down and car covered in grey primer got some funny looks.

Forrester
MGF Register Region: Elsewhere

Post by Forrester » Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:52 pm

Got new windscreen fitted through insurance [Lancaster] due to stone chip & crack.
Surprised to see AA van arrive as I didn't know they had a service just for this.
Just over an hour later, screen fitted & he was on his way.
Just had to pay the £60 excess but my ncb is protected.
Good service all round.