what have you done on your mgf today?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

John SS
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: 2000 MGF VVC

Re: what have you done on your mgf today?

Post by John SS » Tue Feb 16, 2016 2:50 pm

Short very local run to test new 4 pot calipers and braided hoses for the first time. What a revelation! Car stops on a sixpence now and had the ABS working for the first time ever.

scimitargtc
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by scimitargtc » Tue Feb 16, 2016 6:18 pm

adjusted drivers side window=what a pallaver! first attempt I managed to pass the front top stop which meant the window wouldn't go down - figured that out this morning - got it something like - and spraying the hose onto her it may be sorted for that side at least --- I do see a job opportunity that anyone who can sort the issue would be employed for life LOL smelt coolant but no leaks maybe now the carpets have fully dried its an old issue (under body pipes were swapped by PO 2 years ago) - my range rover had leaky heater O rings on day of purchase which I missed! & even now after 2 years there's a faint whiff of coolant in the cabin ALSO - bought a 2nd hand coolant expansion tank inc the level sensor last night so I have a level sensor
bought from U Pull It York in the morning up for sale (£10?) once I've proved the tank replacement/sensor work... put a new battery in her ---- just bought what the book said with a super duper 5 year warranty --- interesting to find the existing one was larger physically & slightly higher in amps by a small margin but that the battery tray has 2 threaded holes for 2 different battery sizes AND have realised I can fit a wireless remote rear boot release for £0 with bits I have in the garage - I was wondering why I'd have the need to fit a remote release when sitting in the car - light bulb moment today when shopping and saw a Guy 'pop his trunk' on his Insignia & thought 'I can do that!' Happier days to follow I reckon

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:01 pm

Mykel wrote:Mould is gone now, but the smell is awful (yuk).
Dettol anti mould cleaner works well and fits nicely in the weekly household shopping.
I don't know what it is sold as in Germany.

http://www.dettol.co.uk/products/trigge ... w-remover/
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Mykel
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MG TF Monogram

Post by Mykel » Tue Feb 16, 2016 9:57 pm

Thanks James, found it. Should have asked before, I guess, the vinegar smell is still there. But it’s getting better now, especially after a whole day of topless driving in the bright sunshine today! :thumbsu: Bit chilly, though. :lol:
MGTF:
2004 TF 135 in Monogram Spectre, black leather, RHD
MGZR:
2001 ZR 160 in Solar Red, LHD, LPG conv
Classic:
1972 MG Midget MkIII RWA in Blaze Red
MGF Register regional rep for Germany -- germany@mgfregister.org

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Wed Feb 17, 2016 8:36 am

Mykel wrote:Thanks James, found it. Should have asked before, I guess, the vinegar smell is still there. But it’s getting better now, especially after a whole day of topless driving in the bright sunshine today! :thumbsu: Bit chilly, though. :lol:
You really should wear a jumper at your age Michael :shutup:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Feb 17, 2016 9:01 am

But I’ve got loads of fur, Adrian. :lol:
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic:

Pete & Lin
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: 2001 1.8i

Post by Pete & Lin » Wed Feb 17, 2016 10:01 am

One example for a having coolant alarm fitted. :D
burst hose.jpg
Hose gave way on my sons TF, was able to stop immediately and saving further damage.

Special thanks to Martin Smith, who was able to supply a new hose :thumbsu:
MGF Register Regional Rep. for Devon & Cornwall

MGF MK2 1.8i - Old English White
MGZS SUV - Dynamic Red

https://www.facebook.com/groups/MGFDandC

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Post by colintf » Wed Feb 17, 2016 11:06 am

Pete & Lin wrote:One example for a having coolant alarm fitted. :D
burst hose.jpg
Hose gave way on my sons TF, was able to stop immediately and saving further damage.

Special thanks to Martin Smith, who was able to supply a new hose :thumbsu:
ooh err - glad you had the alarm fitted Pete :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Feb 18, 2016 4:48 pm

Certainly worth their money Pete :thumbsu:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

TonyP.

Post by TonyP. » Mon Feb 29, 2016 8:56 pm

Hello scimitargtc,

I take it you have/had a GTC?
I've got a fully restored '84 GTE, a stable mate to my MGF- just thought ide share that with you!

Back to the subject- tonight I drove the F with my re-metallised head lamps in the dark- what an amazing difference- best £100 I've spend on this car!!!
Attachments
image.jpeg
image.jpeg

TonyP.

Post by TonyP. » Mon Feb 29, 2016 10:09 pm

Breathed a sigh of relief as my coolent level is now holding firm......and my new PRT fitting and move to the front is working perfectly.
Takes a little while longer to warm up, but hey.

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Tue Mar 08, 2016 1:51 pm

Well yesterday was bright and sunny so I got to work on the rust on the rear wheel archers. I got one side done as it took longer than I thought, 4 1/2 hrs. So now waiting for another good day to do the other side which is the near side and is not as bad rust wise
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc » Tue Mar 08, 2016 10:30 pm

Tony P = = the GTC was/is a 'wish' - I do have a 79 6A auto bought as a 10th wedding anniversary present in 1997 - rarely used (still got to fit the new fuel tank bought from GW's at C/boro last year (the reason why I couldn't drive her there) & she needs another set of carpets and for me to wire up the XJS mirrors that I fitted oh maybe 8 years ago! TF - took youngest son for a run up to our offices at Thorpe Park (top end of Leeds [Yorkshire not down south]) - (well he turned 20 today and needed a treat) considering I bought only the 2nd car I'd viewed and first I'd driven & all in the rain and dark back in January totally all the wrong ways of doing it!!!! I'm happy - my first ever convertible - seeing more dents and scratches every day as you do after buying a used car and have a list of stuff I want/need to do (gearchange is stiff, want to change discs and pads, etc etc etc) but engine / cooling all OK, major bits all done by PO at a garage with receipts to prove - son commented on how much the softback window (glass) 'flops' around but how comfortable and stable she is - good enough for Dad!

AndrewB
Model of Car: 1997 MGF 1.8

Post by AndrewB » Sun Mar 13, 2016 11:45 am

Changed the gear lever gaitor and handbrake gaitor and installed original Mk 1 gear knob..looksvery smart. At last the sun is shining...top down, drive in Devon countryside. Life is good. :D

scimitargtc

Post by scimitargtc » Sun Mar 13, 2016 3:13 pm

until i can sort the side windows not to leak water back into the cabin (1 day spent so far and still not right) just spent £253 on a 20ft x 10ft pop up awning with side walls and another £25 on water 'weights' to hold it down to replace the £50 car cover I bought which had popped off at the rear and has scratched the boot lid to b*****y - got oil / filters etc to give her a mini service (oil has obviously recently been changed judging by its colour but as that seems to be the only receipt not in the file handed over to me I think it can't 'hurt' spending £32 on the wifes food shopping account to be sure Oh and Madge (MG not the wife) stepped up for use by eldest son whose Leon which had needed new rear discs and pads proved the MOT chap correct that 1 (n/s) caliper was 'sticky' STICKY???? it was seized! yet the state of the offside disc & pads was worse - complete and utter OOPS WE SHOULD HAVE DONE THIS EARLIER - mind you with 103k / 9 yrs on her first rears (discs not pads)to be fitted & only featured on this years MOT! Wifes C4 has had all 4 discs / pads changed at 27k and 4 years old from new last month - about to decide whether to fit front and rear parking sensors (front defo - rears not sure whether to do a simple sensor kit or splash the cash and buy a flip out sat nav / audio unit (and that'd be 15 times more expensive well all done and dusted inc a rear bumper camera with leds for nighttime) but the JVC aftermarket cd/radio/handsfree unit already in the car refuses to stay out of 'demo mode' for more than a few minutes

scruffygit
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley
Model of Car: MGF VVC

Post by scruffygit » Mon Mar 21, 2016 9:25 am

Gave her a wash and finished off a couple of jobs.
At last I've got a low coolant alarm that I'm happy with.
It started out as a Lo Alarm 2 but I was never really happy with it. So it's slowly been changed to a replacement used expansion tank with a genuine sensor pre-fitted and an aircon recycle switch with a new icon thingy stuck on the front to switch it on and off.
IMG_20160320_133054.jpg
This was coupled to the original Lo Alarm buzzer. It worked OK but the odd false alarms going around corners or over bumps were annoying.
The answer was an Ebay bargain! From China and just £2.85. An adjustable delay buzzer, it's brilliant. I just replaced the Lo Alarm buzzer with this and adjusted the delay period to about 4 seconds.
IMG_20160320_133020.jpg
No more false alarms and the buzzer is good and loud as well.
Here's the buzzer link if anybody is interested.
http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/301461682913? ... EBIDX%3AIT

Then I eventually worked out how to refit the airbag blank properly on the dash. I'd taken it off to have a look behind and couldn't seem to make it fit back in there properly! Eventually it dawned on me that the clips that had popped off on removal hadn't been fitted back on correctly :? I am such a silly old Hector! You need to be of a certain age to understand that!
3rd job was successful as well. Fix the "sloppy" out of line glove box and hinged door. A suitabley placed self tapper pulling the plastic glove box centre section back upto and inline with the dash and then a couple of self adhesive rubber bump stop rubber pads things stuck on in strategic positions maent the hinged door sits nicely when closed. This now means it doesn't look like it going to fall out of the dash on to a passengers legs and it doesn't squeak either!

Then hood down, heater on and a 40 mile run out. A very good Sunday!

hilly
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset
Model of Car: Aug 96 MGF VVC Mk1

Post by hilly » Sat Apr 09, 2016 9:24 pm

I've promised to get my Mk1 back on the road this year...........

I fitted a new clutch slave cylinder last week

The usual new (well s\h) alternator today due to the usual expanding rotor, but also fitted a rose jointed adjuster

Now I discover I need brake lines.... argh!
Why do I always get out of my 'F' with a smile on my face ! ;-)

Fourbears
MGF Register Region: East Anglia

Post by Fourbears » Tue Apr 19, 2016 4:38 pm

Well I did this.......
20160419_152954[1].jpg
Because of a rather worn hub bearing. The CV joint is also shot so need to replace that as well as the drive shaft as the front lower lower hub bolt is bent. I think it has been kerbed! Thanks to CJJ for his very useful How To on the T Bar forum (he links from this one which is how I found it).

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Wed Apr 20, 2016 12:01 pm

Well I have now done both sides rear wheel archers and a bit on the sills on my TF and the rust has been treated I have had chipsaway spray the whole of both rear wings and had these painted brg to suit the car just have to glue them on now :thumbsu: Image
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

Mykel
Regional Rep

Post by Mykel » Wed Apr 20, 2016 6:45 pm

Finally got around to fit the 17" Team Dynamics I bought last year:
IMG_7643.jpg
Oh, and Mrs P (the Steppy) passed her re-test today. Now it’s just HGF and massively worn torsion springs on the flywheel to get at … :(
MGTF:
MGZR:
Classic: