Heroes and villains and why I'm leaving you all...

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Re: Heroes and villains and why I'm leaving you all...

Post by David Dixon » Sun Aug 14, 2016 8:55 am

Given that MG Rover were costing cutting when the TF was in production they wouldn't have fitted an oil cooler unless it was neccesary...I'd be wanting it fully functional...if not looking for some sort of gurantee if problems arise from it's bypass.

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by DanieleT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 10:25 am

Appreciated..I was of a similar mind myself but there does seem to be a lot of posts around where people have bypassed it win no reason of faults.
As with the trophy 160 that doesn't have one with the same engine.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 14, 2016 12:19 pm

If the manufacturer didn't think it was needed in the UK they don't fit them on UK models, only on export models, MG included.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Sun Aug 14, 2016 1:09 pm

Fair point matey.

Phil Jay
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Wed Aug 17, 2016 4:25 pm

Just a quick thought - the Trophy 160 was the first OEM car to run a 'K' series at 158bhp and given that it was designed as a more 'hard core' sports car, with its own race programme (if I recall correctly), I wonder if the factory fitted an oil cooler to the TF because of issues they experienced? I certainly concur with earlier comments about cost cutting at MGR - if they felt the need to remove one of the horns to save a few pence, they definitely would not have fitted an oil cooler unless they felt it necessary!
When I took my Trophy through Switzerland to Italy, a few spirited drives in the mountains - but not 'ragging it' - soon got the oil nice hot and the temperature gauge 'heading north', so maybe it's not such a bad idea after all!
I'm considering retro fitting one on the Trophy I'm currently renovating.
Good luck with the rebuild and I hope the garage does a good job for you.
Phil

quick_spider

Post by quick_spider » Wed Aug 17, 2016 8:27 pm

When validating the engine, the max oil temp Rover would allow is 150deg. The TF160 reached 155 during testing so the oil cooler was added to bring the max oil temp down within their limits (which were presumably based on the capability of the oil - Castrol 10W40)

David Dixon
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF 135

Post by David Dixon » Wed Aug 17, 2016 9:28 pm

quick_spider wrote:When validating the engine, the max oil temp Rover would allow is 150deg. The TF160 reached 155 during testing so the oil cooler was added to bring the max oil temp down within their limits (which were presumably based on the capability of the oil - Castrol 10W40)
Out of interest do you know then if MG Rover did not apply this criteria when they developed the MGF Trophy, and maybe before that the VVC I think i am correct in thinking the TF had much improved cooling airflow versus the F. Actually now I think about was it the suspension re design of the TF that allowed the oil cooler to fitted which the 'F couldn't have.

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Wed Aug 17, 2016 10:30 pm

The steptronic had an oil cooler for the gearbox.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

quick_spider

Post by quick_spider » Thu Aug 18, 2016 10:16 pm

David Dixon wrote:
Out of interest do you know then if MG Rover did not apply this criteria when they developed the MGF Trophy, and maybe before that the VVC I think i am correct in thinking the TF had much improved cooling airflow versus the F. Actually now I think about was it the suspension re design of the TF that allowed the oil cooler to fitted which the 'F couldn't have.
I'm not sure - it's possible they didn't revalidate the VVC when it changed from 145Ps to 160Ps in the F.

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Fri Aug 19, 2016 5:16 pm

David Dixon wrote:
quick_spider wrote:When validating the engine, the max oil temp Rover would allow is 150deg. The TF160 reached 155 during testing so the oil cooler was added to bring the max oil temp down within their limits (which were presumably based on the capability of the oil - Castrol 10W40)
I'm not sure if I'm following this. Which bit of the "much improved cooling airflow" are you referring to on the TF?

Also, what has the TF suspension got to do with it? - just curious :?
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:22 am

Well I've had the car back for a few weeks now and it has lost only an 1/8th pint of water in that time of doing roughly 200 miles..likely just levelling out.
(i hope)

I expect the job to have not been done right and it'll likely go again in a few thousand miles but this is life I guess.it's also got an oil leak from the VVC mech seals and the suspension still needs the upper pins an bushes replacing.
This will all be finally sortyed by MG retrolifestyle in Brighouse next week and all I can say is... what a car when it's running well.

Have been enjoying a little spirited driving and greatly upset a Focus ST twice the other evening. (on a private test track of course)
I'm very much in love with the little car again. :)

Phil Jay
Model of Car: MG TF 135

Post by Phil Jay » Fri Sep 02, 2016 9:52 am

Hi Daniele,
Delighted to hear you have the car back and that it's running so well. They are brilliant cars and I'm sure you'll have some tremendous fun in it. Lets hope we get an 'Indian Summer' so you get some good weather to enjoy it!
Phil

DanieleT

Post by DanieleT » Tue Sep 20, 2016 8:29 pm

I've been away A while enjoying the gorgeous weather with the he roof down.
My TF is now fully fixed and feeling mint.

Thanks again to Chris at MG lifestyle..can't express how happy am am with this guy and his expertise.

The vvc modulator had a cracked part and a battered gasket...this makes me worry a little at the quality of the hg fix but I'm not fussed anymore.
The suspension bits were also corrected and it now feels smooth and drives lik it's painted on. I'm still very much in love and soooo..

I can pretty much guarantee I'll be around for a while...now for more upgrades.
Shocks, poly bushes and a full exhaust system are on the menu before Christmas :twisted:

Thanks everyone for your input and support.