MGF rattly engine?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

JEA55
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

MGF rattly engine?

Post by JEA55 » Sun Aug 21, 2016 12:21 pm

Just been to look at an MGF for sale - the engine sounds really rattly - could this be tappet adjustment needed? or does it mean something more serious?

Also, how do you find out if it is a VVC engine (owner doesn't know!) - it is a freestyle, not sure if these were all VVC?

Thanks,
Jim

talkingcars
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Re: MGF rattly engine?

Post by talkingcars » Sun Aug 21, 2016 4:14 pm

VVC can be rattily, decent oil helps.

VVC have drive belts at both ends of the cam.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

cococola
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by cococola » Wed Aug 24, 2016 3:45 pm

I have a freestyle vvc they are rattley but also 49 on the road left ;)
Mgf steptronic 2000 RIP :cry:
Morris Minor Convertible 1970
Morris Minor Traveller 1970

daz
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: mg less :(

Post by daz » Thu Aug 25, 2016 6:31 pm

The plenum chamber should have vvc on it & from memory the redline on the rev counter should start at 7250 revs. Vvc's do seem to rattle quite a bit, the tappets can't be adjusted, on older fords I used to remove the lifters & squeeze them in a vice this quietened them down

Helsbyman
MGF Register Region: North West
Model of Car: MGTF V V C

Post by Helsbyman » Fri Aug 26, 2016 12:53 pm

And then again it could be a loose plug a very common problem
My VVC is quite but I have had it from new and the oil was changed once a yr with full synth
Bilstein dampers, 4-2-1 manifold, Head work by Sabre,stainless steel under floor pipes, MGMAINA moded alternator bracket,silicon hoses, Torque tamer, JAYLAD servo bracket, Pro race 1.2 wheels
PETROL BY SHELL :D

DanieleT
MGF Register Region: Yorkshire

Post by DanieleT » Wed Aug 31, 2016 2:27 pm

VVC engines re rattly.
Changing the tappets wont help much eto quieten them down either.
The bearings in the housing at each side of the head become starved of oil on startup and over time develop the beautiful rattlyness.
I've been told that it is the use of poor oil filters which causes this as they dont have a valve to stop oil from draining out of the head.

So as the car is parked up, oil exits the head, car is started and the bearings are dry for a short time..over thousands of miles this happens.

stuart
MGF Register Region: Hertfordshire
Model of Car: TF160

Post by stuart » Wed Aug 31, 2016 5:44 pm

Yep, it's the bearings on the VVC mechanisms- the slightest bit of wear translates into an unholy tractoresque clanking and the only way to cure this is to swap out and exchange the VVC mechanisms- Brown and Gammons were looking into having the troublesome bearings remanufactured and uprated, but they reckoned that the cost of rebuilding existing VVC mechs would probably be greater than the cost of fitting new items.

I had mine done a few years back- Price- £375 + labour per unit, with £120 back on the old mechanisms on an exchange basis...admittedly quite a high price to pay for something that won't lead to a catastrophic engine failure, but quite satisfying to not hear that rattle any more.
Stuart

'02 TF 160 - an Original MG Rover Group Press Car...and still lookin' sharp!

Bilstein Shocks, Z&F Remap, B&G Coolant Alarm, Glass Rear Screen, Braided Hoses, Bling-free at the moment...but that'll probably change

JEA55
MGF Register Region: Somerset & Dorset

Post by JEA55 » Thu Sep 01, 2016 8:53 am

Thanks for all the advice - I decided against buying it, there was no history with it, the exhaust was blowing as well, and the owner knew nothing about the car, it just seemed it could turn into a money pit!

I'll keep searching, although finding a decent one seems to be quite a task now!