Long distance motoring ???

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

mowog73
MGF Register Region: Canada

Re: Long distance motoring ???

Post by mowog73 » Tue May 29, 2018 4:50 pm

I don't disagree with you James, but I know for myself 10 or 12 hours in the sun, travelling on the TCH at 65-70 mph, getting from A to B, its too much for myself; I'd be concerned about heat stress. But on the back roads, cruising a 45-55 mph, when its about the journey, not the destination, the top is down and enjoying the drive.
Mark

Kasper
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Thu May 31, 2018 9:20 am

ErikB wrote: What about earplugs ?
Some reports do point out that hearing problems are more frequent with people driving convertibles.
Not only that in an MGF @ 60 MPH you reach about 80 dBa. but I think it also brings a lot of ease. Resulting in a much more convenient way of travelling. If you have good ones (not the throuw away stuff....talking to each other gets easier as well. They don't fit well you say: Try driving a motorbike!
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

Geoff.F
MGF Register Region: Midlands

Post by Geoff.F » Thu May 31, 2018 4:35 pm

We bought our "F" Steptronic at the Geneva Motor Show in 2000 (when it was announced) whilst living in Basle. In 2001, I was travelling back from Lake Como and spent 2 Hours in a traffic stoppage at 38 Degrees. With the top down, I was toasted then with it up, Roasted. The AC reduced the oven to Medium.
The Silver HardTop to reflect the heat and a roof liner for insulation was fitted for any summer long/hot trips.
In 2002 I did a 3700 mile run from UK -Basle - Costa Blava Spain, the Algarve Portugal and back via Paris. Ann only suffered Aicante Airport, the Algarve and back. The HT was essential but was removed at our rented villa and friends in Tavira. The SoftTop sat behind the seats taking up valuable change of clothes and wine space.
A rethink was required. The SoftTop came off, a hood frame was stripped to only the rear bar to support the HardTop. A MGR removalable SS Luggage Rack and clamp-on Suitcase fitted, a full tonneau modified to fit under the boot hinge and a MG Register Silver SunMate cover to keep everything cool.A MG Badged 12V cold box bought for the boot. Just right with a transformer to cool down overnight the next days beer.
It is OK for us. Switzerland and Austria this August.
Geoff.F

mgtfnut
MGF Register Region: South Wales
Model of Car: TF 135

Post by mgtfnut » Thu May 31, 2018 6:15 pm

I'm another, probably all windows down, hood up for blasting along motorways - as the reduction of noise/ buffeting/ and possible protection from road debris etc make a less tiring environment.
Once I'm where I'm going, it's a different matter ;) , depends on the weather and what sort of roads I choose - good job these little cars can cater for everyone's enjoyment quirks :roll:
Jerry
MG TF 135 - 100k
Suzuki SJ 413 - 309k
Skoda Yeti SE 110 4x4 - 131k

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Jun 01, 2018 4:03 am

I love all these answers.

Somehow I knew it would not be cut and dried in one way or the other.

I'll will just have to do the trip three times, roof up, roof down and unzipped window and
let you know which way works out best.

The factor of heat stress reminds me of the time I drove my Lotus Europa to Adelaide for an F1 race.
No air con, all day straight across the country of some 900 miles or more, with a black interior.

Arrived at my destination, had a shower and promptly keeled over on the lounge room floor passed out
from heat exhaustion and dehydration. It was the year Nigel passed out after pushing his car across the line at the British GP,
and the British dinner guests in town for the GP thought it was hilarious. I've learnt my lesson, Gatorade!

RobboMC
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: 1999 Mpi

Post by RobboMC » Fri Jun 28, 2019 1:08 am

So a bit of Aussie feedback after my first 1000 km ( each way ) trip.

Set off pre-dawn by helping an MGB owner take roof down, against my advice as the weather forecast was not great.
Within first hour hit by a big rain storm, one wet MGB; my roof remained up, and my weather forecasting reputation remained intact.
The RV8 owners continued steadfastly roof up ( and right foot down ! ) for the entire trip.

Checked weather radar on phone and more storms lay ahead. Ended up giving up of the roof down thing and did the full trip roof up. :thumbsd:

At the rally we did the entire 5 hour navigation run with the roof down around the Bayside near Moreton Bay ( Brisbane ) which was very nice.

Trip home started with roof up because I was too focused on getting started for a long day. Took roof down at breakfast, within 1/2 hr cars coming toward me with headlights on and dark clouds on horizon, stopped to put roof up, good decision, went through severe storm. None of the group slowed down even by 5 km/h.

At our lunch stop an MGA failed to proceed so we lost 2 hours of our day dealing with that. The run leaders suggested we should
do some ' serious motoring ' to get home at a reasonable hour so we did 3 hours non-stop roof up through some scattered showers.

After dinner it got dark and wet weather closed in again, so I finished the trip roof still up. :thumbsd:

So all in all after 2,000 km of highway driving I had the roof down for all of 1/2 hour. :shutup:

Still, the day of the navigation run made up for it. And I'm looking forward to my next trip even more now.

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Jul 02, 2019 6:22 pm

Glad it was a good trip overall!

I've driven in southern europe and done some miles with the roof down in the scorching sun. To be honest, there is a reason why roadsters are popular in the UK and Germany: the climate is ideally suited to them in our level of latitude! I kept the roof down, but suffered with sun cream in the eyes, and yes, driving with the roof up and rear window unzipped would have been more sensible. Luckily I'm not that sensible ;) :lol:

talkingcars
Model of Car: mk1 VVC

Post by talkingcars » Tue Jul 02, 2019 10:44 pm

Rob - that's what baseball caps are for.
Home to black Alfa 159 3.2 V6 Q4, blue MGZR160, green MGF VVC and grey MGF 1.8i, and red MG Maestro T16.

MGF chatting on the Register and at http://www.the-t-bar.com

Rob Bell
Committee Member
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Wed Jul 03, 2019 10:50 am

I was wearing one :lol: Unfortunately, the sun cream my wife splashed on me melted and dripped into my eyes... :roll: :lol: