MGF Scale Models - Are there any?

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

PhilR
MGF Register Region: Eastern Australia
Model of Car: MGF LE Abingdon

MGF Scale Models - Are there any?

Post by PhilR » Thu Jun 04, 2009 7:33 am

I have been searching the local model shops and ebay for MGF Models especially the green 1/18 Corgi model. There appears to be very few models of the F currently available and then the only one I have found is a 1/43 model in red. It would be nice to have some available through the Register shop!
Is there knowledge out there of models available that I have not been able to pick up on?

Scarlet Fever
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: 1996 MPi F

Re: MGF Scale Models - Are there any?

Post by Scarlet Fever » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:11 am

I thought the Corgi ones went out of production a while ago, there is a 1:18 TF being made in China currently (which is supposed to be very good indeed, but also pretty pricey!)

Matchbox did some a while back too 1:56 scale (ref 3539EA) & there were some Coca Cola branded ones as well if i recall correctly
Andrew Phillips

mark lucas
Model of Car: mgfvvc

Post by mark lucas » Thu Jun 04, 2009 10:18 am

Corgi 1/18
Matchbox
Eaglerace 1/43
there are a few cheap ones about made in hong kong (dont know the make)
and Kieron had some pewter 1/92 scale made at £7 each

Mark
Regional Rep for Essex, and your friendly contact for this
area

Essex Roadsters... we have TWO meetings
each month.
First Thursday of the month at the Dick Turpin on the A127
and
Third Thursday of the month at the Halfway House on the
A127.

Steve White
Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Midlands
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:07 pm

K & R Replicas produce 1:43 kits of several varients of the F and TF.
Quite often advertised on ebay.

Herbie
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Herbie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:58 pm

Scarlet Fever wrote:... there is a 1:18 TF being made in China currently (which is supposed to be very good indeed, but also pretty pricey!)...
Yep indeed Andy, I paid my price :lol:
Some on eBay atmo (just looked for the TF ones):
http://shop.ebay.co.uk/?_from=R40&_trks ... Categories
MGF 1.8i - Nighfire Red (CAQ)
Daytona Backbox - Piper Sports Cat - 52mm TB - TF Steering Rack - TF 80th LE elements - Compliance Washers - Clear Indicators - Assorted Bling

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160LE80th #15/1600

Post by Andrew Regens » Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:54 pm

I have a NEW-RAY about 1998 of an MG F 1996 in red, but in pride of place is the pewter one from the Essex Roadsters made by Autosculpt.
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

mark lucas
Model of Car: mgfvvc

Post by mark lucas » Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:22 pm

Herbie wrote:
Scarlet Fever wrote:... there is a 1:18 TF being made in China currently (which is supposed to be very good indeed, but also pretty pricey!)...
If any one is interested in these hope to be getting some for £59.99 plus P+P :thumbsu: NOT £199.99 Plus P+P as on ebay : :thumbsd: please pm me cheers

Mark
Regional Rep for Essex, and your friendly contact for this
area

Essex Roadsters... we have TWO meetings
each month.
First Thursday of the month at the Dick Turpin on the A127
and
Third Thursday of the month at the Halfway House on the
A127.

Herbie
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i

Post by Herbie » Thu Jun 04, 2009 4:40 pm

Nice one Mark !!!

Dieter has quite a nice overview on his website, check here:
http://www.mgfcar.de/model/index.htm
MGF 1.8i - Nighfire Red (CAQ)
Daytona Backbox - Piper Sports Cat - 52mm TB - TF Steering Rack - TF 80th LE elements - Compliance Washers - Clear Indicators - Assorted Bling

TimM
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF VVC MY2000

Post by TimM » Thu Jun 04, 2009 5:25 pm

There are quite a few 1:43 scale Fs about but you may need to search for them.You can usually find them at autojumbles, car shows etc

In my collection I have various models from...

Corgi 1:18
New-Ray 1:43
New Ray (Kit form) 1:43
Universal Models 1:43
Matchbox 1:56
Auotsculpt (pewter):1:92

K & R Replicas do the ony 1:43 scale TF that I'm aware of and also do the F

Part of the fun is trying to find them !

Tim Morris
President MGCC MGF Register
FasTForward Editor; Safety Fast columnist; South East Regional Representative

2000 MGF VVC ; 1981 MGBGT LE; 2006 MG ZR

David A

Post by David A » Thu Jun 04, 2009 8:44 pm

There's also a 1:87 TF (& MG7 aka Rover/Roewe 75) made by Ricko http://www.rickoricko.com/products87.php?seg=4 and just before Christmas '08 a rather iFFy F appeared as part of a twin pack in Poundstretchers - it was bigger than 1:43, but smaller than Scalextric (1:32). Speaking of Scalextric.... http://www.traffic-modelcars.com/h32-h1200.htm but don't hold your breath, I've had that page saved as a favourite for about five years, and the info hasn't changed in that time :roll: ...

Mark, if you can get hold of the 1:18 scale TF for that price, don't forget me! :thumbsu:
Fortibus es in ero

PhilR

Post by PhilR » Fri Jun 05, 2009 2:24 am

Thanks for all those responses - I checked K&R and Eagle Race websites and you are right as they both have a a good range. I will troll through the rest of the suggestions and see what turns up. I do not have a huge collection of models but try to collect at least 1 or 2 examples of each of the 8 MG's I have owned . Talking to the the local hobby shops they say it is supply and demand and unfortunately scale models of Mg's of all types are not a big seller in Tasmania.
On the subject of MGF regalia I have just acquired a flag which was ex an MGF dealer. It is approximately 4ft X 2.6 with MG in black lettering with the F in red all on a silver background. Not sure if it was just for Australian dealers or a worldwide copy of MG Rover dealers promo flag.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Fri Jun 05, 2009 7:05 am

Hi Phil,
There are not many/any models of the F on the mainland either.
Welcome to the MG F Register from your Eastern Region Rep, I would think you are one of a select number in Tasmania.
Look forward to seeing at the Nat Meet in Hobart 2011.
Cheers
Andrew
Piper 4-2-1 Manifold, Daytona Back Box, Stage two Remap, Bilstein Shocks, thicker anti roll bars, PG 1 gearbox Caged bearing with type B Ltd Slip Diff. Large rear brake Kit, Toyo R888R Track/road tyres. Half Roll Cage, 4Point Harness.

PhilR

Post by PhilR » Wed Jun 10, 2009 2:04 am

Graet, I have checked all the sites provided out and ordered the K & R kit. This way I can customize it to be an LE Abingdon. Ordered "Old No 1" as well as it is good to see how the marque started.

John W
MGF Register Region: South Coast
Model of Car: MGTF 80th Anniversar

Post by John W » Wed Jun 10, 2009 7:37 am

PhilR wrote:Graet, I have checked all the sites provided out and ordered the K & R kit. This way I can customize it to be an LE Abingdon. Ordered "Old No 1" as well as it is good to see how the marque started.
Hi Phil, Just to let you know I had a very bad experience with 'K&R' replicas, even though they are only a few miles from where I live, they promised me a firm delivery date, but in the end that was several weeks over due, and they offered to customise and build at extra cost (total cost over £80), however when the model arrived it was the wrong colour, the front o/s lamp lens was missing, and the rear n/s wheel came off, on the good side they did credit me with the FULL ammount including the return postage, BUT that does not make up for not having a model of my TF!
MG 80th Anniversary TF 1420 of 1600, Colour Starlight Silver

Kasper
Model of Car: MGF vvc

Post by Kasper » Wed Jun 10, 2009 8:30 pm

Herbie wrote:
So did we have an onfortunately buy. Out of the eight cars only a few arrived without damages and with all decals, lamps etc.
MGFvvc - 90FVBG - charcoal - you might think it is original - (1996 nr:8204)
MGTF 120 - 57RNJ7 - BRG - every day is an MG day - (2005)
MGC CGT - SJ08DY - tartan red - 1985 restauration fairly original - (1968 nr: 4137)

http://www.MGF.be

PhilR

Post by PhilR » Fri Jun 12, 2009 3:29 am

Hello John, Thanks for the re assurance - If the purchases of K &R models dont work out and as you live close you can can go round and sort them for me - If anybody lives near David Manners Abingdon Spares I have had bad experiences with them so they might like to go round and sort them as well for me. Having to deal with these UK companies from the other side of the world you soon learn from experience that there are extremes of good and bad.

Andrew Regens
Regional Rep

Post by Andrew Regens » Sat Jun 13, 2009 2:18 am

[quote="PhilRIf anybody lives near David Manners Abingdon Spares I have had bad experiences with them so they might like to go round and sort them as well for me. Having to deal with these UK companies from the other side of the world you soon learn from experience that there are extremes of good and bad.[/quote]

I have purchased a fair bit for my VVC from David Manners all without problem. The engine bolts were out of stock for a week but sent as soon as they arrived. I hope their service has not gone of the boil, so to speak, and they sort out your problem quickly. Please keep us informed, perhaps we should keep a record of good and bad service from the UK or in fact any where that involves postage.

David A

Post by David A » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:44 pm

Varying the thread slightly (but not meaning to hijack, honest!) a while ago (2 years? 3?) someone came up with a pattern for a cut-out-and-keep MGF!
It was a paper print which could be assembled origami-style into a 3-dimensional model in whatever colour you had felt tips for.

If I saved the link I can't find it now. Can anyone with a long memory help with the site addy?

Cheers,
David
Fortibus es in ero

Steve White
Regional Rep
Model of Car: TF160, ZT260

Post by Steve White » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:47 pm

Dieter has some links on his site, but I'm just get page errors when I click them.
http://www.mgfcar.de/model/paper_mgf.htm

Keith Williams
Model of Car: MGF VVC, Trophy 160

Post by Keith Williams » Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:56 pm

David A wrote:Varying the thread slightly (but not meaning to hijack, honest!) a while ago (2 years? 3?) someone came up with a pattern for a cut-out-and-keep MGF!
It was a paper print which could be assembled origami-style into a 3-dimensional model in whatever colour you had felt tips for.

If I saved the link I can't find it now. Can anyone with a long memory help with the site addy?

Cheers,
David
David PM your email address to me. I down loaded them off Dieter's site at the time :thumbsu:

They are of the VVC, multicolour with a garage to match.
1998 MGF VVC, 2001 Trophy 160 & 2013 MG6 GT TSE