8 On Track !

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Bruno
MGF Register Region: Europe
Model of Car: Modified MGF VVC 180

8 On Track !

Post by Bruno » Thu Jan 05, 2012 11:54 pm

A happy, healthy and succesful new year to you all over here !!

It's been a while since I've posted some content on this forum. Many new faces, many old friends not over here anymore, but many others will know me from European events (like The day before, Kempenrit) and also from many UK events off course. I'm the Belgian guy with the Volcano MGF "180" and also know as "the guy from mgf.be".
I just want to post an update on what we have done the last year over here in Belgium...
Some years ago, I was now and then doing some trackdays with my F and I loved it. Riding your car on a track is fun, but soon you realise, that a roadcar is not a racer, especialy when real racecars like Silhouettes, Race Porsches etc are passing you on track, like you're standing still. So I made my mind up, I was also wanted to drive a trackday car, so I bought a standard MGZR 160 to rebuild it (+/- FIA approved) , to drive it on track, so not road legal anymore. Soon I've found some guys who wanted to join me in my hobby : Erik B, also well known over here on the forum, was the guy who made our website, and was doing the timing on track. His wife Fran, was doing the catering (driving a racecar makes you thirsty and hungry ;) ) and Jos Mertens, also was joing us, and was the second man behind the wheel.
Soon we became addicted to drive the ZR on track, and soon we became faster and faster. A second quicker car was the way to go, so we bought at MGLive last year a MGZS 180 (also a yellow one). We also encountered that week-end the guys from Vulcan racing (Eddie Farrow, Anthony Reid, Dan Ludlow, ...), the meeting of these guys was a turning point for our team I think.
We realised that de V6 was not the engine we wanted in that car, so we planned to go for a 2.0 liter K engine by VGK racing (good for 260 Bph). This plan never happened although, further, you read why.
Some months later, also Remco was helping us, on trackdays, he became our "mechanical guy".

The ZR with some nice girls in it, on our first sponsor day :

The unfinished ZS, bought on MGlive :

Last month we decided to look out for a third racer, because of the fact we want to start modify the ZR (we wanted an other bulletproof and more powerfull engine in it), and we wanted to take our time for this project. Because of the fact the ZS was not ready yet (still nothing done on it), this was meaning that we had no car anymore for a few months to drive on track. This was no option, so we looked out for another racer. We found a very fast one, however it looked like a shoebox on wheels. A rover 114 cupracer was joining the two Z-cars in December 2011. (the car weights 580 kg and has 140 Bhp and is a real cupracer, welded through, rollcage, 3th party shockabsorbers, etc, no to mention how quick this ugly duck is) ;)

The Rover cupracer :

Now we could thinking about the modification of the ZR and the building of the ZS racecar. A week ago however, we had the chance to buy a famous Uk racer : Dan Ludlows MG ZR (2011 championship winner). 2 hours later, it was decided. We would stop the ZS project and started with this car. Ready to race, and probably the best ZR racer in the UK. This was the second turning point for 8 on track, I think. The contact we had with Eddie Farrow from Vulcan racing, since MG Live, was the major thing to choose for that car.

The MG ZR 190 :

The team :

This year we want to ride these cars on trackdays in Zolder, Francorchamps, Croix en Ternois, Zandvoort, Bilsterberg and maybe Silverstone. At the end of Season 2012 we want to participate with the ZR190 and the cupracer maybe in 1 or 2 races, and if everything is going fine, we want to race the ZR190 in the Belgian touring car series in 2013. The yellow ZR160, will receive another engine, maybe a modified K-engine bottom end to a 2.0 liter or a modified bottom end from a K engine, to a 1.9 bottom end. The yellow ZR will be used for track days only in future, the other 2 cars will be used in 2013 particulary for races, future will tell.
So if you are one day on a racetrack, and you see a yellow or white ZR, or a White cupracer, and you see "8 on track"-logo's on them, don't hesistate to come over to the pitlane. The beer is cold and ready to drink !
- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC
- 8-On-Track racers : MG ZR 2.0 VGK racer / Rover 114 Cupracer white / Rover 114 cupracer Evo yellow

colintf
Committee Member & Regional Rep
MGF Register Region: Devon & Cornwall
Model of Car: MG PA TF160 ZTV8

Re: 8 On Track !

Post by colintf » Fri Jan 06, 2012 12:26 pm

Hi Bruno and Team. Happy New Year to you all!!

Good to read you report above.

I thought maybe you had bought Dan's ZR when I heard it was going overseas.

Eddie and the Vulcan boys are good people.

Hope to see you race at Silverstone iin June maybe?

Cheers

Colin

Colin Murrell
MGF Register International Liaison Rep
MGF Register Regional Rep for Devon & Cornwall and Cotswold Regions
MGCC Z and V8 Registers Reps for V8 ZT'/ZTTs

http://www.two-sixties.com/main.htm http://www.triple-mracing.com/

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:54 pm

Hello all,

Just an update of what is happened with Eight On Track meanwhile :

- The MGZR 160 has had a broken engine last year and we are bussy with the rebuilt. A K-engine 2.0 litre has sourced from VGK racing. This K-engine is capable to give 280 Bhp and 280 Nm torque, but we want to keep it almost service free, so we are aiming on 230 Bhp. Also the car has a new adjustable brakesystem and had a new paintjob.
- The MGZR 190 (from Vulcan) has also had a new paintjob and we will testing it for the first time on 30 may 2012
- We have now also a 114 ex-cupracer in our team. We had a lot of work to bring this old racecar back on track, but after 2 trackdays, things are becoming better and better.
- The MG ZS is sold, because of the fact that 3 racecars is enough for 2 pilots I think. Never the less, I sold the car to an other racedriver who will use it for trackdays only.

For who want to see some movies from some trackdays (last year with the ZR160 and this year with the 114) just click on the links below (sorry for the Duch words) :

Trackday 18 Juni 2011 met ZR MKI / By Rob
Trackday 27 Juli 2011 met ZR MKI / By Rob

Trackday 14 Maart 2012 met Cupracer / By Bruno
Trackday 11 April 2012 met Cupracer / By Rob
Trackday 11 April 2012 deel 1 met Cupracer/ By Bruno
Trackday 11 April 2012 deel 2 met Cupracer/ By Bruno

The engine for the MKI from VGK racing :

The MK1 and the 114 :

Pics of the MKII will follow later.
Last edited by Bruno on Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC
- 8-On-Track racers : MG ZR 2.0 VGK racer / Rover 114 Cupracer white / Rover 114 cupracer Evo yellow

colintf

Post by colintf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:57 pm

thankyou for the update Bruno.

You guys coming over to MG Live again this year? 8-)

Colin Murrell

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Sun Apr 22, 2012 6:58 pm

Yes Colin, I will try to come over with Jos, but not sure that we will bring a racer with us.
- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC

colintf

Post by colintf » Sun Apr 22, 2012 7:04 pm

Bruno wrote:Yes Colin, I will try to come over with Jos, but not sure that we will bring a racer with us.

be good to see you again, and then there's TdL :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

Neil Rushton
MGF Register Region: Lancashire
Model of Car: TF135

Post by Neil Rushton » Sun Apr 22, 2012 8:44 pm

Hi Bruno nice to hear from you hope to catch up with you either at Silvestone or TDL.

cheers, Neil
Attachments
FIM 003.jpg
Kawasaki KLX250
Skoda Citigo 75hp!!!
A share in an English Electric Lightning F6 fighter!!!!

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Sun Apr 22, 2012 9:07 pm

Nice memories from a nice event....Soon the MG season is starting again...
Can't wait anymore !
- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:30 am

Awsome Bruno - you're living the dream! :thumbsu:

All the best to you, Erik, Fran and the rest! Are you coming to MG Live this year?

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Mon Apr 23, 2012 10:53 am

Living the dream Bruno, well done to all of you, look forward to joining you soon.

Your back garden looks different to the last time I was there. I like the MG logo on your workshop :thumbsu:
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Mon Apr 23, 2012 7:28 pm

@ Rob : Yes, we will be there, but not sure yet if this will be with one of the racers on the trailer, or not.

@ Adrian : thats a long time ago then, so time to bring us a visit again then. Always welcome !
- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC

Rob Bell
Committee Member
MGF Register Region: South East
Model of Car: MGF 1.8i + MGF Shed!

Post by Rob Bell » Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:52 am

If you're planning to race at Silverstone, that'd be fantastic Bruno! I'll be in the grandstand to egg you on! :thumbsu:

adrianclifford
MGF Register Region: Essex
Model of Car: MGTF 80LE

Post by adrianclifford » Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:18 pm

Look forward to it Bruno. Are you on the MGCCH Octagon Tour this year, we start at Brasschaat.

As "The Day" was in the UK last year, don't you think it's time mgf.be planned our return ?
Bilstein shocks, Piper 4-2-1 manifold, Daytona, Vader cold-air induction, custom Z and F Stage 2 re-map, Electric boot release, braided hoses, Blue Magnecor leads, Technozen relays, Stage 1 head, BMW Angel Eyes headlights, "MG" puddle lights.

colintf

Post by colintf » Thu Apr 26, 2012 5:41 pm

adrianclifford wrote:
As "The Day" was in the UK last year, don't you think it's time mgf.be planned our return ?
A topic for during TdL over a beer or two me thinks :thumbsu:

Colin Murrell

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Thu Apr 26, 2012 6:37 pm

good idea ! :thumbsu:
- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC

Bruno

Post by Bruno » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:07 pm

Pictures from the new color and striping of the ex Vulcan ZR MKII :

- VOLCANO MGF '180' VVC

colintf

Post by colintf » Fri Apr 27, 2012 9:16 pm

very good Bruno! Enjoy it out on track.

One day we must organise a trip over to see you and the rest of the team in action. Spa maybe?

I see you are keeping Dan's (Ludlow) name on there 8-)

Colin Murrell