New Proxes ! now wearing a nappy when driving

You can talk about anything here. You'll also find a section with member posted photos of our events here.

Moderator: Committee Members

Barneyboko
MGF Register Region: Scotland
Model of Car: 99 VVC

Re: New Proxes ! now wearing a nappy when driving

Post by Barneyboko » Tue May 16, 2017 11:10 pm

mgrv8boy wrote:same problem last year changed all 4 with new toyo's and wanders all over when in a straight line but ok when cornering have had everything checked, eventually went back to toyo who sent free of charge new tyres all round still the same did this two more times but they have stopped being interested now as it seems this problem only affects F's And Tf's. whilst playing around at my local garage we did find out that you can actually move the tread around on the carcass by hand!! not good as our cars are susceptible to weight transfer when changing direction which is why you need XL tyres with stiff sidewalls. my theory is that they made the tyre more compliant to give a softer ride and F***ed up a good tyre. am waiting for them to wear out now but they don't seem to last good ones only lasted 9000 miles but gripped like s**t to a blanket done 12000 on these and they look like new!!!
Mmmmmm now that's interesting, I know all about the changes of manufacturing location and compound etc. But a tyre is a tyre and I've driven some scary set ups, without fear of injury, but these are a different puzzle.

My theory based on observation and the most recent feedback from my F prior to the tyre change. Prior to the tyre I change I could confidently take it all the way up to the rev limiter in a straight line, however on bends I was starting to slide at the back under medium power. My new Toyos are XL meaning extra load, they already have reinforced side walls. The Hankooks at the front are not reinforced side walls. My F tends to bounce at certain speeds, controllable on the old rubber., but with the Toyo rear Hankook front set up I reckon that I have a conflict between the the soft wall fronts and the reinforced walls on the rear. I feel that the fonts and back are compressing and releasing at different rates causing the car to wander. It is most noticeable on rougher more undulating surfaces and particularly bad with a side wind. Until reading the the post above I was intending to add a pair of proxes, to add some comparable stiffness to the fronts, but now I,m not so sure.

Barney

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Fri May 19, 2017 12:13 am

Update coming

Barney

john_g
MGF Register Region: South East

Post by john_g » Sat May 20, 2017 11:03 am

I realise different wheel size and car, but same issue with my TF in March, Barney.. car handled very well until the minute the rears were changed for Toyo's .. from then on its been quite scary..

may change my fronts to toyos and just live with that until all four have worn out..

looking forward to your update

John

BodgeItAndScarper
MGF Register Region: Thames Valley

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Sat May 20, 2017 3:26 pm

Have any of you tried talking to Toyo/your tyre supplier about a refund under the Sale of Goods Act etc? By the sound of it the tyres might not be fit for the purpose they're sold for - if this handling imbalance is beyond anything normally seen with mismatched tyres.

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Sun May 21, 2017 10:44 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:Have any of you tried talking to Toyo/your tyre supplier about a refund under the Sale of Goods Act etc? By the sound of it the tyres might not be fit for the purpose they're sold for - if this handling imbalance is beyond anything normally seen with mismatched tyres.
In some of the earlier responses in this post someone states that they did contact Toyo and they supplied replacement tyres however it made no difference and Toyo eventually lost interest, the theory being that they know the issue relates specifically to F,s so not there issue.

I am thinking about contacting them, but I would want to engage on a more technical level than I am currently equipped to do. There obvious first response will be a simple conflict between the Hankooks and the Toyos, so buy another couple of Toyos, which I would be more than happy to do if it alleviated the problem, but I,m not sure it would. So I,m working on it !

Barney

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Sun May 21, 2017 10:57 pm

john_g wrote:I realise different wheel size and car, but same issue with my TF in March, Barney.. car handled very well until the minute the rears were changed for Toyo's .. from then on its been quite scary..

may change my fronts to toyos and just live with that until all four have worn out..

looking forward to your update

John
Hi John

I,m thinking of going the other way and writing off the Toyos and cutting my losses. My F is not my day car, but I like to get in it for an adrenalin workout whenever it suits me. Right now when I go out, the adrenalin is coming to early and for the wrong reasons. Life is too short and I might just admit to a poorly researched purchase and move on.

Barney

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Mon May 22, 2017 3:37 pm

Barneyboko wrote:
BodgeItAndScarper wrote:Have any of you tried talking to Toyo/your tyre supplier about a refund under the Sale of Goods Act etc? By the sound of it the tyres might not be fit for the purpose they're sold for - if this handling imbalance is beyond anything normally seen with mismatched tyres.
In some of the earlier responses in this post someone states that they did contact Toyo and they supplied replacement tyres however it made no difference and Toyo eventually lost interest, the theory being that they know the issue relates specifically to F,s so not there issue.
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Just being an F-specific problem wouldn't seem to me to absolve them of their responsibilities, which is why I was wondering if that was their response to a query along those lines, or whether it hadn't yet been put to them in that way. If they want to wash their hands of the problem, a simple refund would be sufficient to meet their obligations - and also a note to their distributors not to sell Proxes for Fs.

If Toyo are selling tyres for the F that are actually dangerous to drive with, that's a major issue. It's not up to them to decide they can't be bothered to deal with it.

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Mon May 22, 2017 8:19 pm

BodgeItAndScarper wrote:
Barneyboko wrote:
Yes, that's what I was referring to. Just being an F-specific problem wouldn't seem to me to absolve them of their responsibilities, which is why I was wondering if that was their response to a query along those lines, or whether it hadn't yet been put to them in that way. If they want to wash their hands of the problem, a simple refund would be sufficient to meet their obligations - and also a note to their distributors not to sell Proxes for Fs.

If Toyo are selling tyres for the F that are actually dangerous to drive with, that's a major issue. It's not up to them to decide they can't be bothered to deal with it.

Hard to argue with your logic Bodge, but there are a multitude of variables and not a single black and white fact. For everyone guy out there that says the new Proxes are crap there will be plenty who say best tyres ever (actually that's what got my money out my pocket). There is a lot of anecdotal stuff for and against, but no data to support either position. It could be the front back mix, it could be pressures, it could be driving style and on and on and on and on. I would like to have more data to talk about when I get in to that conversation with Toyo, but that might be wishful thinking, and I,m not going to write of a summer for the sake of winning an argument.

Barney

BodgeItAndScarper

Post by BodgeItAndScarper » Tue May 23, 2017 3:02 pm

Barneyboko wrote:

Hard to argue with your logic Bodge, but there are a multitude of variables and not a single black and white fact.
Absolutely agree, what the law is in theory and what happens in practice are very different beasts.
I,m not going to write of a summer for the sake of winning an argument.
That's an extremely good point. The idea of a company just washing their hands of a problem annoys me, but you're quite right, the question is whether it's a fight worth having.

Barneyboko

Post by Barneyboko » Sun Jun 04, 2017 9:22 pm

Quick update

The fish tailing is much reduced and I can confidently take it up above 80 and further, the cornering grip is incredible, however the car seems much more susceptible to side winds when travelling at relatively slow speeds.

Reasons for the improvement ?????

I have worked the tyres hard to get them scrubbed, and kept the pressures 26 front and 28 rear.

I might be getting used to the problem and have managed to deal with it.

It could be that I was over cooking the issue and over reacting to a severe change in feedback from the tyres.

But it's still a long Way to go

Barny